(understood) easy system freeze with all versions since autumn 2016

• Edit:
    It was the excessive RAM usage. With Vivaldi I was to close to the limit. Now I have 4GB RAM instead of 2GB before and Vivaldi works fine.
    /EDIT:

I am on Linux Debian/Sid (aka unstable) which I have proof of being not unstable at all since I use it daily for all my needs for over 10 Years now. ( And I am still using Opera 12.16 with m2 because vivaldi still lacks m3 ;-) )

So I am testing Vivaldi, current stable and current snapshot (mostly, but not exclusively,) when Opera fails to render a website correctly. And over all these months vivaldi (and only vivaldy) freezes my whole system sooner or later. It simply freezes the graphic stack after

• some time when I watch videos (as an example : youtube.com).
    • some quick tab closing/changing
    • some scrolling

The close "x" on tabs does not appear anymore, or appears very late, scrolling becomes more and more difficult up to impossible and if this happens, the whole system freezes and gets completely unresponsive.
    I then have to open a console (ctrl-alt F1 + some minutes time to complete login) and kill vivaldi-(snapshot or stable). Often the complete network is down then, too. I have to restart it (ifup -a).

This is my frustrating experience over the last months. Yesterday I deleted both vivaldi's home folders in the hope to afterwards encountering a better performance.
    But guess what, current vivaldi-stable (1.9) froze my system while I changed some settings in the respective dialogue.

While vivaldi is working I like vivaldi very much and I am looking forward for all still needed features. But it far too easy freezes my system, each of vivaldi's versions and flavors over the last month.

I don't use any DE (like KDE, Gnome, Xfce and so on), but a plain window manager (fluxbox).

Is there a way of providing more usefull information for you to better understand the reason behind this misfunction?

Thanks.

• Why is this "post flagged as spam"? Are you for real?

What I posted is my experience, not an opinion. And as I am still using Opera 12.16 I can't wait for vivaldi being reliable!

And why is my icon marked "offline" when I am online?

This really is very discouraging.

@michaa7 Sorry for you, but please calm down.
    The spam filter is not 100% correct. The Vivaldi webdevs changed the filter last week to get less false positives.

@michaa7 never got this on Jessie.

Video driver issues? Backported ones?
    Self compiled kernel?
    Which GPU?

• @Gwen-Dragon said in easy system freeze with all versions since autum 2016:

@michaa7 Sorry for you, but please calm down.
    The spam filter is not 100% correct. The Vivaldi webdevs changed the filter last week to get less false positives.

Ok, thanks for your reply. I now understand this happend due to an automated filter (and not someone making false assumptions!).

Thanks again.

@michaa7 If that happens more times for you, please contact our Community Manager @gaelle by chat. She will ping a webdev to have a look on the filter.

@michaa7 never got this on Jessie.

Video driver issues? Backported ones?

No, nvidia proprietary legacy driver for a common non sofisticated well working consumer grafic card
    (inxi -G
    Graphics: Card: NVIDIA G84 [GeForce 8600 GT]
    Display Server: X.Org 1.19.3 driver: nvidia
    Resolution: 1680x1050@59.88hz
    GLX Renderer: GeForce 8600 GT/PCIe/SSE2
    GLX Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.102)

Self compiled kernel?

No, it is custom siduction driver (which is know over years for it's stability), which is plain kernel.org/stable

Which GPU?
    see above.

And again: This obviously is related to vivaldi. I never have graphical instabilities on my system over years . I have no freezes, instabilities or graphical problems with my system except when using vivaldi. I can watch the responsiveness to go south. When I am able to close vivaldy quickly enough (which I mostly can't :-( ) I can reopen vivaldi with the last websites in most cases. It feels like over time some buffer gets filled up or as if vivaldi cannot anymore discard inputs (like when you scroll up and down and then chane tabs). But it also happens simply watching a video without touching the cursor!

So is there a possibility to gather more accurate info?

Edit:
    78 vivaldi threads. That is really a lot.
    Edit://

PS: please, if possible, unmark it, as I can't edit anymore.

• I had some similar behaviour. It was mainly caused by some extension. The system would freeze regularly. Maybe you can try to reproduce the behaviour without any extensions if not tried already?
    Since then i only had one freeze in two months i think. i use vivaldi as default on four different linux systems.

• I am using pure Vivaldi, no extension installed.

In the meantime I've understood better why Vivaldi is freezing my system. It's the lack of RAM. I didn't notice until I opened a monitoring program before opening Vivaldi. Then I could observe much RAM vivaldi is consuming (near to one GB). Together with my system and other programm's RAM footprints it adds up to about 1.8GB RAM consumtion. This is so close to the installed RAM (2GB) that with a few tabs the system is running out of free memory and thus freezing.
    The situation gets much better when I run Vivaldi as the only browser (which normaly I don't because I use Opera 12.16 as default). Then the system rans out of RAM only after a long period of time.

So apart from my computers limited ressources the problem isn't any instability but Vivaldi's big memory footprint, which I think will be optimized in the future.

@michaa7 said in easy system freeze with all versions since autum 2016:

78 vivaldi threads. That is really a lot.

Many Vivaldi tabs/processes on small RAM 2 GB PC with running Linux DM and other progs.
    I guess then your OS will swap as hell? What says free?

I guess then your OS will swap as hell?

No, it does not as I intentionally haven't configured any swap. I never ever had problems with this setting. I don't use a DE but a WM only (fluxbox) because it is much more efficient.

BTW, Vivaldi currently uses 98 proceses (2 tabs opened, and running about three hours now).

# free
                  total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
    Mem:        2053320     1374020      120120      455000      559180       96728
    Swap:             0           0           0

htop shows 1.75 GB in use (or allocated?)

# ps -u mh | grep vivaldi
    shows ony 9 processes. I do not understand the huge difference between ps and htop.

I somehow consider the freezing problem understood (to avoid the expression solved). The freezing simply is the consequence of my system being too short of RAM and Vivaldi currently needing to much of it.

• Yeah, 2GB isn't much if you want to run modern programs. Even my mobile has 3GB...

RAM is cheap, if your computer allows it you should think about upgrading.

• @luetage said in easy system freeze with all versions since autum 2016:

RAM is cheap, if your computer allows it you should think about upgrading.

I today ordered 2x2GB of RAM which is the maximum my MB supports (OS is 64 bit).

• Sorry? 64bit on a less than 4gb ram system? That's a waste of resources. 64bit os have a meaning for MORE than 4gb systems.

• @iAN-CooG said in easy system freeze with all versions since autum 2016:

Sorry? 64bit on a less than 4gb ram system? That's a waste of resources. 64bit os have a meaning for MORE than 4gb systems.

... for more than 3 GB.

And as far as a waste of ressources is concerned, there are different opinions:
    superuser.com/questions/270435/is-there-a-reason-to-install-a-64bit-os-on-a-computer-with-less-than-4gb-of-ram

Btw, now with 4GB RAM I don't need to reeinstall, which comes handy ...

But this is too off topic now.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.