Vivaldi.net sending spam email

• I was sent a spam email from this site claiming someone requested to be my "friend". Please don't do that. I signed up to be able to leave feedback on the forum about the Vivaldi web browser, not to join some "social" networking cult. Not only is spam obnoxious, but it's also creepy when you start getting "friend" requests from people you don't even know.

Vivaldi.net began as a social community. The browser came later. If you don't want to be a member of the community, then delete your profile and just monitor the boards.

• As I said, I wanted to be able to provide feedback on the browser. Please read posts before you respond.

You joined a community. Read the terms of use before you join.

• Turn off emails in the notification settings.

• Ayespy, I never opted into receiving email from Vivaldi.

[mod edit: partly removed. Watch your language, Wren! Ayespy is completely right about what he's saying. You should listen.]

• ugly, I did that and I'm still receiving email notifications from this site.

• I presume you subscribed to this thread - unless you clear the appropriate checkbox every time you post, you are automatically subscribed to any thread you post in. (Yes, I do hate "opt-out" features like that.)

OP's original complaint was:

"I was sent a spam email from this site claiming someone requested to be my 'friend'."

As far as I knew when I first read this, it might not have been not possible to "opt out" of receiving friend requests if you have a profile on Vivaldi.net. As the community was originally founded to be a COMMUNITY, not to write or publish a browser, this does not seem unusual or improper. If one joins a community, it seems safe to assume that one wishes to be a member of the community, which would be rather pointless if members could not come up to one, unsolicited, and say "Hey, would you like to be friends?" This, technically, is not "spam," because by joining, one has expressed one's agreement with the idea of being a "member," and suffering the gross indignity of receiving the occasional communication.

HOWEVER, as the OP appears too lazy to look up how to manage his own profile on a community he took the trouble to join, so that the authors of this browser could receive the benefit of his wisdom and his feedback, I took the trouble for him. There is a link at the top of every page on Vivaldi.net called "community." By using this link one can find one's way to https://vivaldi.net/en-US/settings/notification-settings or whatever page is appropriate to the user's localization (note the string "en-US" in mine), and on that page, one will find a long list of options, including one called "Friends." If one clicks on that link, one has to option to turn off emails and system alerts for both notifications and acceptances of friend requests.

Note I was able to do this work which OP was too lazy to do, without being forced to tell anyone to "piss off." I know it is just mean and spiteful to expect a user to take responsibility for his own presence in a web space, and its properties there, but it would appear Vivaldi.net has stooped just this low.

• Vivaldi Team

@sgunhouse:

I presume you subscribed to this thread - unless you clear the appropriate checkbox every time you post, you are automatically subscribed to any thread you post in. (Yes, I do hate "opt-out" features like that.)

OK. I personally like receiving email notification but that's me.
    I now made the notification check box when making a post opt-in. Hope this helps :cheer:

• The old MyOpera had a setting to choose a default - then you could override it on a thread-by-thread basis.

I'd suggest the thread creator should be notified by default, while those who respond could be opt-in.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.