Sorting Bookmarks in Bookmarks Bar

• This may be a basic newbie question but I can't find a clear answer anywhere. Can the bookmarks be sorted alphabetically in the drop down lists from the Bookmarks bar? Would seem to me an obvious basic option but I can't find it.

@martinc: The coding for the bookmarks bar is quite rudimentary as yet. You can right-click on the bar and select sort->By title, but a) That will sort the bar itself and b) not sure if it will sort the contents of the folders. And if you select that, you won't be able to drag the bookmarks where you want on the bar. I'm just not sure if you can select to sort by title only on a given level. Pretty sure it's global. I personally have everything set to sort manually, and then in the bookmarks panel, I have dragged the contents of each folder into alphabetical order. I'm reluctant to play with settings now that I have everything exactly where I want it.

• Nope, bookmarks still need work. Currently your bookmarks bar is just a designated folder in bookmarks, and bookmarks cannot be sorted. There is just an option in panel and on the bookmarks page to display them sorted, but it doesn't actually change anything. The bookmarks bar itself always shows the manual sorting, no matter what you pick on either panel or bookmarks page.

@Ayespy just click sort by title, nickname, description, etc. -- you will see when you click sort manually it will all go back to how you set it up initially -- and that's the whole problem. We should be able to right click a folder and sort it alphabetically (and lasting!) if we so desire.

@luetage: UNLESS you right-click the bookmarks bar and select to sort.

• @Ayespy That's the same thing as in panel, it's only visual, and you can't sort a single folder individually and lasting. It's simply a missing feature.

@luetage: Well, yes. I have been thinking of sort as a "view" rather than arrangement, all execpt for Manual, of course. I had thought that if you sorted by title and then switched back to manual, you should recover your manual sort - which would not be possible if a sort actually arranged the bookmarks. Still, you have a point. "Sort" should be able to actually rearrange/re-index the database if that's what the user wants.

• Hi,

what I can understand is that you developers can't implement all features at once. What I cannot understand is that you seemingly "offer" a feature which in reality isn't available ("...and bookmarks cannot be sorted. There is just an option in panel and on the bookmarks page to display them sorted, but it doesn't actually change anything. ").

So, please, remove "settings" which do nothing except making users angry because they feel being to dumb to understand and to figure out how it works.

And really, what is so difficult in implementing a (may be basic, first step) sorting in alphabetical order of whatever is the text of the bookmarks. But make sure to list folder/directories first. Howsoever rudimantary, it 100% would be more satisfying than having fake features ;-) .

As to the manual sorting and the "automaic sorting" of the bar:
    ("but a) That will sort the bar itself and b) not sure if it will sort the contents of the folders. but a) That will sort the bar itself and b) not sure if it will sort the contents of the folders. ")

I am betting almost noone (maybe excep Ayespy) wants to sort manually all his bookmark. On the other hand, the only place where a manual order may bring some real advantage is the bookmark bar. So it should be the opposite of how it is now.

Thanks.

• @michaa7 I am sure that you are wrong about that. We are just waiting for bookmark separators so that we can manually sort bookmarks folders into sections like in Old Opera.

0_1493633056491_Manually Sorted Bookmarks.png

If you have migrated to Vivaldi from another browser, perhaps you are not familiar with how Opera users work, but Jon, who founded Opera and Vivaldi, is developing a browser that will be as much like the old Opera as is practical.

• michaa, that is the most pretentious thing i have read in a while. Should get an award for that. :wink:

*So yeah I do like manual sort. Take books for example, they don't need to be alphabetical.
    I prefer a more visual and priority based sort, even within existing folders.

Maybe i just need more of them. But that's the thing isn't it, everyone's different.
    So to tailor everything to everybody from scratch just takes time, not to mention never ending.

Real physical sort of bookmarks! :scream:
    OM*. No.

You may have never seen someone accidentally sorting bookmarks the wrong way and getting their bookmarks gone in a sort of crap and mess.
    The sorted display is the better way.

• @Pesala

I am still using Opera 12.16 ;-) as default and I will migrate when m3 is available in vivaldi. Currently I am testing vivaldi (daily).

• @Gwen-Dragon

I don't care whether it is physical or not, so I can live with sorted display very well.

• @mdnjou

I am not sure it leads to a better understandig but you are welcome to elaborate. Please keep the award to yourself.

• @michaa7 said in Sorting Bookmarks in Bookmarks Bar:

I am betting almost noone (maybe excep Ayespy) wants to sort manually all his bookmark

Well then, there's at least two of us. I have only about 250-280 bookmarks divided into multiple folders and subfolders (2-10 bookmarks in each one) and I have them all sorted manually the way I want them to have. Although I don't use the bookmarks bar, as I consider it as a waste of space.

The sorting feature isn't "fake", it just doesn't work like you would expect it to. If you'd wish to change that, please feel free to post a Feature Request about it.

• @michaa7 said in Sorting Bookmarks in Bookmarks Bar:
    The sorting feature isn't "fake", it just doesn't work like you would expect it to.

In my opinion, if you build something, it should work as expected.

Thanks, I'll do a a feature request. I I have thousands of bookmarks in several hundred folders. O12 handles them fine and in FF i used to be able to do my sorting in SQlite. An ideal storage method I believe.

• @greybeard said in Sorting Bookmarks in Bookmarks Bar:

In my opinion, if you build something, it should work as expected.

It does work as expected, and as it was designed.

It does not work as you expect.

• @Pesala
    In that case, documentation is in order.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.