All about Firefox! (Especially for Firefox fans)

• Ok, I'm a fan of Firefox since... at the beginning. Why? To me seems to be the most friendly browser. The addons of this browser are exactly what i need and I use it ~20. Another great thing that i like a lot is the RSS subscription system. The biggest thing that i dislike at him is the system that have for Developers, for the web developers especially the way that can be seen elements in "inspect element". Anything else about Firefox, good or bad things wrote here!

• In looking into an alternative to Old Opera, I've been using Firefox (25, then 26) and the one thing I find frustrating for me is its cookie handling. In Old Opera, I could set it to delete "new" cookies upon exiting the browser, but by starting out first without disabling cookies and only logging into certain favorite sites, I could create log-in cookies for each. Then, after restarting Opera, those cookies were now considered "old" cookies, and by enabling Opera's delete-new-cookies feature, thereafter the log-in cookies (and only them) would be left behind after subsequent Opera restarts. This basically gave me cookie-clearing privacy, but retained my log-ins so that I could more quickly re-enter certain online forums without going through the whole manual log-in process.

I've been exploring Firefox itself and various cookie extensions, but I've not found anything that works (for the latest FF versions) which either preserves or auto-restores certain specific cookies. There is at least one manager out there that auto-restores cookies, but doesn't work on the latest FF versions. Currently I'm using Cookies Manager 1.5.2, which at least allows me to manually reduce the cookie list to just the log-ins and to manually save that file. Then, after a Firefox restart, I must manually 'restore' that cookie file using the extension to reacquire the log-in capabilities. It works, but it's "clunky". Is there any way to achieve the selective preservation of certain cookies across restarts with Firefox, but deleting all non-selected cookies? The FF internal manager, though it seems as if it should do that, doesn't - based on my own observations and various postings in other forums.

Otherwise, I'm quite pleased with most user aspects of Firefox (though I wish some of the configurability I need was native, not just via extensions).

• Haven't tried myself, but you can login everywhere you need, write down all those domain names in cookie manager then block cookies by default with those domains specified as exceptions.

• Started with Netscape 3.0 Gold and used every version to the last (NS 9). Before being dumped unceremoniously by AOL the Mozilla Suite branched off and I had that until Firebird then Firefox entered the picture (along with Thunderbird). Of course I also ran Opera from 2000 on and used both browsers as my default. I like the idea of Open Source and so I continue with FF. As for cookies, for the most part they don't concern me. Of course, I'm also one that isn't bothered by ads unless they're intrusive flash ads; then I take umbrage.

• Have you tried Seamonkey James? :side:

• Hi Destin. Yes, I ran Seamonkey for a few years actually. The Netscape brand is still alive and kicking in SM but by today's standards it's a bit old in appearance. I've pretty much set my hopes on Opera coming up with something like the Presto version but with the compatibility and speed of the Blink version. In the meanwhile, I use FF as my main browser.

• @tenno-seremel:

Haven't tried myself, but you can login everywhere you need, write down all those domain names in cookie manager then block cookies by default with those domains specified as exceptions.

Thanks… but the problem with that is that I need to accept other sites' cookies during a session for those sites to even work properly. So if I block cookies other than the selected log-in ones, those other sites won't necessarily work. The problem is kind of the inverse of what you mention... I need to be able to accept everyone's cookies (1st-party ones), but only "preserve" selected of those after a Firefox restart. The FF cookie-manager settings options would have you believe FF can do that, but according to posts I've read in several forums, it no longer does in recent versions (possibly starting around 23).

• @Blackbird:

The FF cookie-manager settings options would have you believe FF can do that, but according to posts I've read in several forums, it no longer does in recent versions (possibly starting around 23).

I do what I think you want to do in Firefox 26.

I set Firefox to accept no cookies. In Exceptions I put the few sites I am prepared to accept permanent cookies from as "Allow". Those sites which I do not wish to accept permanent cookies from, but which will not work without cookies, I set as "Allow for Session".

• I´m not a "Firefox fan" but since a few days I use it sometimes because it´s much faster on my small 1GB Netbook than Opium. And not only in page request but the whole behavior.
    ☞ More

Here my question:
    I've installed a different theme and noticed that only includes the tab and menu bars. The Speeddial (if so called?) is not affected; the background is still white. Is this a normal behavior or can I change this somewhere? In the context menu in SD I can´t find something regarding "Options".

• I've used Mozilla - the original Seamonkey Suite when it was just called Mozilla as far as I remember - since Version 0.7 when it had a blue gecko as icon back then.

Nowadays I switch back and forth between Firefox, Chrome and Opera. For some reason I often come back to Firefox but I must also confess that the excitement from the old days is long gone. Firefox has a lot of aspects that need improvement IMO, especially multi-process-browsing, but as long as I can see that Mozilla is making some effort to make some kind of progress I am not giving up on them yet.

• @Ice007:

I´m not a "Firefox fan" but since a few days I use it sometimes because it´s much faster on my small 1GB Netbook than Opium. And not only in page request but the whole behavior.
    ☞ More

Here my question:
    I've installed a different theme and noticed that only includes the tab and menu bars. The Speeddial (if so called?) is not affected; the background is still white. Is this a normal behavior or can I change this somewhere? In the context menu in SD I can´t find something regarding "Options".

You've probably been misled by Mozilla's idea of what a theme is. See, they seem to feel that a theme is a mere colouring of the menu bars and tabs, but what many expect, and what used to be the case before Personas became all the rage, are what's now called Complete Themes. Maybe that's what you really wanted, which theme additional sections of the browser.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.