Passwords missing on reinstall

• I just had to do a clean re-install of Win 7 - 64 on my desktop machine writing to a new SSD and it’s up & running fine. The SSD has several partitions and all of my 3rd party apps - including Vivaldi 1.8.770.5 - were copied off the old HD and then copied back to their respective partitions on the new disk. When the OS was configured I reinstalled V - the exact same version - just get all that “necessary” crap into the registry. On restarting Vivaldi had no passwords and no extensions. (Those i’ve already reinstalled)

I attempted to compare the F:\Net\Vivaldi\User Data\Default\Login Data - which, IIRC, holds the passwords - to my backup copy but Beyond Compare claimed that the copy in Vivaldi’s folder was corrupted and it couldn’t read it. So I deleted it and copied my backup copy into the folder. Fired up V but no joy - still no passwords. My backup copy worked fine when I stored it 2 weeks ago.

What else can I try?

@laffin_boy: Nothing at this point. When you re-installed Windows, you created a new UUID. And when you did. you broke the key that Vivaldi used to decode your password and extension files. What you COULD have done is enable exporting, export your passwords to a .csv file, and re-import them when you made the new operating system. Now, you need to rely on your memory, the charity of websites who allow you to re-set your passwords, and any notes you may have taken prior to your OS re-install.

• @Ayespy said in Passwords missing on reinstall:

Now, you need to rely on your memory, the charity of websites who allow you to re-set your passwords, and any notes you may have taken prior to your OS re-install

... OR... wean yourself off storing passwords [except maybe for the most trivial unimportant non-sensitive sites] in the browser, & begin using a dedicated non-browser password database, eg, KeePass, KeePass2, or KeePassX [if you ever change to Linux].
    ..............................................................................................
    Tower & Lappy = Maui Linux 17.03 x64 Plasma 5.9.3.
    ..............................................................................................

• Reinstalling the Windows will change the UserId of your Windows account
    ⇒ you will loose the encryption keys for the login/password database.

Copying the Vivaldi password database to a different Windows user

Copying the Vivaldi password database to a different drive or USB stick

That issues are caused by restrictions of the Windows encryption interface.

I use KeePass2 with KeePassHTTP plugin and chromeIPass extension to störe my own logins on a seperate drive and can restore them as they do not use the Windows encryption.

• @laffin_boy said in Passwords missing on reinstall:

I attempted to compare the F:\Net\Vivaldi\User Data\Default\Login Data (…) to my backup copy but Beyond Compare claimed that the copy in Vivaldi’s folder was corrupted

Did you cehck Login Data and Login Data-journal

May be the password database was broken.

• @Ayespy said: "Nothing at this point".

Thanks, Ayespy, for your rapid & depressing answer.

I use a password backup app called WebBrowserPassView so I CAN rebuild my password file over time. But I shouldn’t have to. All the previous data was right there in the Default folder. I kept my bookmarks, my preferences, my history, etc but threw away my passwords and my extensions (but NOT the extension configs!). This is a CHOICE being made by the install program and it’s a really poor, self-defeating choice being made by developers (Vivaldi or Chromium). There are a number of reasons why we might have to “reinstall” an existing, fully configured browser installation into an “empty” registry and normal human beings will not logically assume that by running the official install program SOME of their long-time data will be trashed by the install. And many of those normal human beings will come to the logical human conclusion that those Vivaldi people don’t know what they’re doing and uninstall it in disgust.

I don’t have that option. As an Opera user since v3.64 i’m spoiled for life and have no choice but to tie myself to the most Opera-flavored browser out there. And for that reason I really want Vivaldi to succeed so it’s depressing to see them shoot themselves in the foot by loosing track of the fact that non-geeks have to be able to figure out their program. People who are not capable or willing to take elaborate precautions or involved backup procedures just to be able to surf the net reliably. Just my $.02.

PS: your forum software seriously sux. The page elements have no contrast and once you finally find the text block it’s 1/2” high!!! Typing into a keyhole slot! Why bother having a forum if using is a form of self-abuse?

@laffin_boy: Vivaldi did not "choose" the Chromium /Windows encryption routine. They inherited it. They are building a solution for it. It will be released when it's ready. It's at the early testing stage internally, after over 2 years of development. Sync (the solution) is one of the most challenging things for a cross-platform app to get right. "New Opera," after they adopted the Blink engine, took pretty much forever to roll out sync, and once they did, it was buggy and problematic, suffering regression after regression, for nearly a year. And they had over ten times the developers, and over a hundred times the money, that Vivaldi started with. So I counsel patience. The Vivaldi sync solution is a good one. It's worth the wait.

PS: I wonder why your Forum interface looks different from mine?

• @Ayespy said "patience"

Thanks for your thorough answer.

And:

PS: I wonder why your Forum interface looks different from mine?

As an example of the difference I only saw your comment above through the keyhole slot - it didn't show in your post at all!!

@laffin_boy: I actually don't really get what the "keyhole slot" is that you're talking about. I've not seen it, except in the "chat" personal messaging app. My page looks like this:0_1492931116339_page.jpg

• @Ayespy said: "My page looks like this:"

Thanks for the screenshot. I think I solved the mystery. There's a blk circle over to the left with an up-dwn arrow in it that when you're in "compose" mode if you mouse over it gives you no info whatsoever but if you get really brave and click on it it makes the compose window fullscreen and gives you a full-sized textbox to write in.

If you don't click on the button (that's obvious only in the mind of the person who built the software) then what you see it a too tall header (~25%) + a small part of the webpage (40%) and then squeezed in at the bottom is the compose page squished to ~35% of the page with the text box squashed to about 3/4" high. All in varying shades of off-white. That's what I used for my 1st two posts.

Whoever wrote this forum software shouldn't quit his or her day job just yet...

• @laffin_boy said in Passwords missing on reinstall:

@Ayespy said: "My page looks like this:"

There's a blk circle over to the left with an up-dwn arrow in it that when you're in "compose" mode if you mouse over it gives you no info whatsoever but if you get really brave and click on it it makes the compose window fullscreen and gives you a full-sized textbox to write in.

If you don't click on the button (that's obvious only in the mind of the person who built the software) then what you see it a too tall header (~25%) + a small part of the webpage (40%) and then squeezed in at the bottom is the compose page squished to ~35% of the page with the text box squashed to about 3/4" high. All in varying shades of off-white. That's what I used for my 1st two posts.

Whoever wrote this forum software shouldn't quit his or her day job just yet...

Sheesh i love reading uninformed whinges by newbies who are fast to blame & insult others [eg, Devs] but slow to calmly analyse & introspect.

The "blk circle over to the left with an up-dwn arrow" is quite intuitive IMO. I'm no genius but somehow still managed to work it out all by my little old self, when the new forum arrived. Up/down arrow, hmmm, what might such iconography imply? I wonder what happens if i left-click on it & drag up, or drag down? Well, whatdyaknow, whoda thunk it? Magic.

"obvious only in the mind of the person who built the software" ... such astonishing rudeness! Such arrant nonsense!

"Whoever wrote this forum software shouldn't quit his or her day job just yet" ... yeah, well, i hope that your daily income does not rely on your personal powers of observation & deductive reasoning, nor interpersonal relationships.

• @ALL Do not post so much Offtopic!

!!! Please do not discuss the forum display problem here !!!
    Open a thread about forum bugs at https://forum.vivaldi.net/category/59/vivaldi-forum-bugs

Please back to Topic!

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.