High CPU load Vivaldi processes; Vivaldi shutdown; Vivaldi don't run no more, end of the road



  • I started using Vivaldi only a few months ago after I finally got sick of the way Firefox processes were hogging so much CPU, slowing down my work on the computer.

    I like Vivaldi because of some of its features (particularly the notes), but I am afraid my friendship with Vivaldi is at an end.

    Today four Vivaldi processes were constantly at around 20% each (visible in task manager). I decided to shut down Vivaldi because my other work was being slowed down. So I shut it down with the red X at the top right.

    About an hour later I decided to start Vivaldi again, but it wouldn't start. Each time I double clicked the Vivaldi icon I could see several Vivaldi processes start in the task manager, and after about 10 seconds they disappeared. But no Vivaldi window ever opened.

    I am currently running version 1.7.735.48 (on my Windows 7 Home Premium system, Service Pack 1). The reason why I am not running the latest version is because of a problem I had after updating Vivaldi about two weeks ago. At that time, after installing the new version 1.8.770.54 I noticed the same behavior in my task manager as I described above: several Vivaldi processes start in the task manager, and after about 10 seconds they disappear --- but no Vivaldi window.

    To solve the problem, I assumed the problem I was experiencing had something to do with the version update, so I decided to return to a previous version and did some tests until I found out how to get a previous version running.
    I was successful at this and I published the description of what I found out at the following link:
    https://vivaldi.com/blog/minor-update-to-vivaldi-1-8/

    Basically the problem lay somewhere in something incompatible in my former bookmarks file. The new version would not start with my old bookmarks file, but after reverting back to 1.7.735.48 Vivaldi worked again with the bookmarks file.

    But this time round I have no idea what the problem is -- why won't Vivaldi start after basically a legitimate shutdown. Shutting down Vivaldi with the X shouldn't cause such a problem, and make it impossible to start Vivaldi anymore. No changes to configurations, no new installations, no tampering with files occurred between the time I shut down Vivaldi and the attempt to start it up again about an hour later.
    I'm stumped.
    Besides that, the fact that Vivaldi at times hogs so much CPU is also irritating.



  • Well isn't that strange.
    After taking the time to write this whole description, and then restarting my computer, Vivaldi now can be started again after the computer restart. :smile:
    It's a nice surprise, but it is still a mystery why it stubbornly wouldn't start anymore earlier today....

    Now if I could only figure out why the Vivaldi processes sometimes use so much CPU:confused:


  • Moderator

    @SimBau: on most (not all) systems, that is related to extensions.



  • @SimBau Another possible cause would be if Vivaldi is using CPU for Graphics when your card is not fully supported; check under
    vivaldi://gpu



  • @SimBau said in High CPU load Vivaldi processes; Vivaldi shutdown; Vivaldi don't run no more, end of the road:

    Basically the problem lay somewhere in something incompatible in my former bookmarks file. The new version would not start with my old bookmarks file, but after reverting back to 1.7.735.48 Vivaldi worked again with the bookmarks file.

    My eye gravitated to this paragraph [can eyes gravitate?]. A looooooong time ago, in a universe SS far far away, there was a princess captured by an evil empire bug that interacted badly with prior bookmarks file versions, with the then-newer chromium version. The symptoms were entirely different to yours now, but i offer you this idea now in case it might also collaterally benefit you.

    1. Move V's Bookmarks file from your V's Default folder, into the corresponding Default folder of any alternative chromium-based browser you have.
    2. In said alternative browser, Export said BM file as HTML file.
    3. Reopen V, Import said HTML file.
    4. This process reduced my Bookmarks file from 8.2 MB to 1.6 MB, & completely fixed the fault. There is a penalty however; loss of any associated Description & Nickname text you might have manually added to individual BMs. Somehow, the HTML conversion process seemed to "sanitise" the BM file, & make it fully compatible with the current chromium engine version.

    Might be utterly irrelevant for you now, but just in case...

    ..............................................................................................
    Tower & Lappy = Maui Linux 17.03 x64 Plasma 5.9.3.
    ..............................................................................................


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.