Major CPU Spikes

• Is anyone else getting these? I'm using Linux Mint 18.1 and my CPU usage gets as low as 1% with a single tab open in Vivaldi and goes as high as 66%, still with a single tab open. It spikes like that whenever I move my cursor. Pointer acceleration is off. The only other software open at the moment is a text editor and a CLI music player.

The one tab I am using is showing 20+ processes in htop. That can't be right. I am using only three extensions: uBlock, Dark Reader, and HTTPS Everywhere. I really like this browser but if it behaves like this, I won't be able to use it.

• @fluxlux Definetly no normal behaviour, when you press *"Ctrl + Shift + Esc" * do you get any more hints what the origin of those 20+ processes is?

• Hi, I am a bit astonished about the htop output.
    My Dropbox application show also 20+ processes and a lot more for Vivaldi!
    Sysgard show 10 with one tab and three extensions and this is normal for a multiprocess browser like Chrome, Opera and Vivaldi.
    Cpu spikes are at 2-5 % during mouse movement.

Vivaldi snapshot 1.9.811.13
    Opensuse Leap 42.1 x86_64
    CPU Intel T4200 4 GB
    GPU Intel GN 965
    xf86-video-intel 2.99.917-6.1

We have some Mint users here, may they can shed more light about your problem.

Cheers, mib

@fluxlux: I barely qualify as a Linux user, but I do have Mint 18.1 Cinnamon on a dual-boot on an older Win10 machine. The machine is a 2.8 GHz Intel Core2 Quad with 8 GB RAM. I don't run any extensions.

On that machine , running the internal tester version of Vivaldi that has integrated email (with two IMAP accounts set up and running), I get 22 processes with 19 open tabs. RAM usage hovers right around 45% (no paging/swapping) with only Vivaldi open, and I do get CPU spikes on at least one core with mouse movement. Browsing and opening and closing pages, I can get at least one core to spike at 100%, but the other three will tend to say below 30% Just idling those 19 tabs, 2 cores run at a steady 10%, one varies between 2% and 15%, and the last one varies between 15% and 20%. This is with continual network activity on two bands, between 0 and 3 KBp/s

The overall impression is of an app that's making pretty robust use of the system, but running really fast and smooth without any lags, balks, misbehavior or hiccups. If I didn't have they system monitor open, I'd think Vivaldi was putting little or no strain on resources.

On the whole, (not comparing apples to apples because it's two different machines ATM) resource usage appears a good deal lower on a beefier Win10 machine, except that vivaldi Appears to HAMMER the wimpy discrete GPU.

In the interest of thoroughness, I'm booting to Win10 on the older machine and Vivaldi there (current Snapshot) . Similar (but less) resource usage. Interestingly, when polling what's actually USING the CPU isn't so much Vivaldi, but things like system, client server runtime, DWM, sysmon, services host, etc. Interesting.

• @fluxlux -- No i do not get misbehaviour like that either. To incur cpu loads like that i need to run my backup pgm [Back In Time, which certainly does hammer the cpu (i7 8-cores), or open a few of my VB VMs. Atm, no VMs, & only V-SS [19 tabs (relatively light for me)], Clementine [streaming some music atm], Thunderbird, Task Coach, Dolphin, KeePassX, Shutter, & MS Office 2010 Pro Excel [running in a dedicated WinePrefix] -- cpu ~5% [briefly spikes to ~12% when i move the mouse, which i'd not noticed before].

Mint 18.1, but what DE? If LMDE, Cinnamon, Xfce or MATE, then i can offer no comment. If KDE, then i ponder if its Plasma might be to blame? Just this morning in the Mint fora i was reading users' difficulties with their 18/18.1 KDE eating their cpus. https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=236684&sid=99c2a9e48307fa57c139b6f8470fba55

I left Mint 17.3 KDE4 for Maui last year once i discovered that they'd shackled 18.x KDE5 to the execrable Kubuntu via backports, rather than doing the smart thing & backporting Neon. Consequently for ages Mint 18 KDE was stuck on Plasma 5.6.5 [very buggy] when other distros had advanced to the much more stable 5.7.x. Afaik Mint 18.1 is now on 5.8.5 [which IIRC Maui Devs chose to skip, as their internal testing found it broke many things; was buggy], whereas the world is on 5.9.x. With Mint's Kubuntu tie-up, it's not only their Plasma version that lags behind, but also their KDE Apps, Frameworks, & Qt versions [disclaimer; i might be wrong there; will post this, then launch my Mint 18.1 KDE VM to check, then update my post]. Here's my VM 18.1 KDE info [& i ran Update Manager first to see if any Plasma updates came... nada]:
    0_1492390356456_upload-f4c3b7cf-cf6c-4f8c-be1d-e9452c1ac202

..............................................................................................
    Tower & Lappy = Maui Linux 17.03 x64 Plasma 5.9.3.
    ..............................................................................................
    0_1492387171506_upload-a701540e-8b1c-4ada-839d-5b7c7bf0d208

• @Steffie Yeah, I think if you're running KDE, Mate, or XFCE, then the Ubuntu flavors(Kubuntu, Ubuntu Mate, and Xubuntu) would be better than Mint's, as they use the latest version of the DE. Mint is only the better choice if you're using Cinnamon.

• I have seen spikes above 50% on some websites - youtube, amazon audio and hulu.

In general, I find Vivaldi CPU usage equal to Firefox on streaming sites and about 10-15% higher than Opera or Chrome. But none of those spike to the level that Vivaldi can.

This all while observing the system monitor - I have not noticed a change in performance associated with this transient high resource usage.

Running KDE Neon. I

• Vivaldi Translator

@fluxlux
    If there's even a tiny movement in CPU just because moving cursor. Isn't then, our system trying to draw cursor to monitor above Vivaldi but got "bottle neck" for this case?

Maybe any of these steps help.

• Turn off Composite Manager entirely. Composite Manager use layering to do things. Well, that's over simplified to explain that. That layer probably effect Vivaldi.
    • Turn on/off vivaldi://chrome/settings/search#hardware.
    • Or instead, enable chrome://flags/#ignore-gpu-blacklist

For the rest.
    Searching for "Linux chrome CPU spike when moving mouse" return me with a lot of results. I couldn't tell which will be related to yours.

About processes.
    Currently, I've got 8 live tabs open & 22 extensions, some of them are scanner type. HTOP, 31 vivaldi process.
    After turning off all extensions, HTOP 16 vivaldi process.
    All of those consistent with Vivaldi Task Manager.

Linux/Debian sid amd64
    Openbox Window Manager.
    Vivaldi 1.9.811.13 x64

• @zaibon when i press Ctrl+Shift+Esc, nothing happens in htop or in vivaldi

• @Ayespy That is a helpful way to look at it, thanks. I would like to clarify that I have not experienced any noticeable performance issues with Vivaldi. The only evidence of this issue is in the system monitor, if I had never checked htop I would be unaware of the spiking.

I switched from the stable vivaldi to the vivaldi snapshot and now the spikes are being distributed across the four cores instead of the one. Thank you for your reply, I think your assessment is correct. The browser is making robust use of the system without straining resources.

• @Steffie I am indeed running Cinnamon. Sounds like Mint KDE is a bit of a mess, didn't know that

• @D0J0P Well, i won't comment on Ubuntu Mate & Xubuntu [& if you recall earlier discussions we had you know that i really don't like Cinnamon either], but wrt Kubuntu i strongly disagree. I tested it a lot, prior to the beta availability of Mint 18 KDE, in order to begin getting a feel for Plasma5. It was awful -- even KFedora was more pleasant to use than Kubuntu [was hideously unstable]. I shall believe that since then Kubuntu Devs have improved things, but the nasty experience soured my off Kubuntu completely. I eventually found my new home with Maui -- lovely.
    Tower & Lappy = Maui Linux 17.03 x64 Plasma 5.9.3.

• @Steffie Not sure on the stability part. All I know is that they have the latest Plasma version compared to Mint KDE. I hope they've improved it since you last tried it though.

I seem to like the Ubuntu flavors and with Cinnamon it's Mint for me. I tried XFCE on Mint and Ubuntu, and Mint XFCE was very similar to Cinnamon, while Xubuntu was more it's own thing(or maybe the other way around, as Mint has it's own theme). I think Xubuntu had more to it last time I checked.

Same with Mate, but I much preferred Ubuntu Mate than Mint Mate. I tested out Ubuntu Mate 17.04, and it's pretty great. YouTube has video reviews of it with people turning out impressed.

I don't know which is the best distro for each DE, but I did want to try Fedora. I didn't seem to be able to live boot into it for some reason so it didn't work. Maybe RPM-based distros are harder to test out for me, which is why I kind of stick with Debian-based ones.

• @fluxlux Ehrm.. yeah this might be, because I gave you the wrong shortcut :cold_sweat: "Shift +Esc" is the correct one

• @fluxlux I'm running vivaldi-snapshot_1.9.804.3-1 on 32 bit debian linux on a 6 core Xeon 3690.

At times, I see a vivaldi tab use 100% of CPU for an extended time but this is usually a specific site like: https://finance.yahoo.com/portfolio/pf_1/view/view_4

However, I found the latest vivaldi-snapshot version 1.9.818.3-1 incredibly slow on all tabs.
    Reverting to 1.9.804.3-1, without any other changes to my system, fixed the sluggishness problem.

• Hi Guys.!

I had been using the snapshot version until a week ago.

Snapshot version is not a recommended for "production" or as main browser, it is only for test.

The lastest snapshots version was causing some problem to me, due to that I moved to stable version and issues gone.

I'm running ubuntu 16.04 with unity on a thinkpad x230... nothing special.

Regards.

• https://finance.yahoo.com/portfolio/pf_1/view/view_4

This page is really incredible but if you disallow flash all is fine.
    Only problem you cant see much information anymore. :)

Cheers, mib

• I also have huge CPU usage on my Dell XPS 13 laptop, I think this got way worse like a few versions (snapshot versions that is) ago. When I noticed the difference is when I just have a page open and move the mouse around, it used to be just visible in the CPU graph but now it's like 30% of 4 cores, this seems really excessive to me (in Windows it barely uses a few percent of 8 cores).
    I didn't try going back to a previous version since I don't have the packages any more, but I can do that if it helps in tracking this down.

@Pezo GPU issue? Graphics card driver?
    Which CPU and GPU do you have?

Try this:
    Open vivaldi://chrome/settings/search#hardw
    Disable hardware acceleration
    Restart Vivaldi

• @Gwen-Dragon I never thought of disabling hardware acceleration, however that actually made it worse.

I have an Intel Core i5-7200U CPU with the integrated graphics, the driver is xf86-video-intel-git from the AUR, I just updated to version 1:2.99.917+772+gc72bb27a (I'm on Arch btw).

I looked at the Vivaldi task manager while just moving the mouse around in an empty part of this forum page and it shows Browser, Background Page: Vivaldi/App: Vivaldi, and Tab: Major CPU Spikes using 36%, 31% and 28% CPU, respectively, I don't know if that's of any help. This is with Vivaldi version 1.10.829.3.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.