Cant View plugins 1.8 latest

• I cant seem ti view the list of plugins anymore

• Chromium got rid of the page. You can access them in vivaldi://settings/webpages/, but it's not the same as before.

• @luetage said in Cant View plugins 1.8 latest:

vivaldi://settings/webpages/

Thanks but am i the only one who feels that chrome taking things away is getting out of had and that eventually a chrome base will hurt Vivaldi's overall mission ?

@asianmusicguy: There may be some influence in that direction, But you need a browser to do two things: 1) access the internet, and 2) conform to your work flow. The Chromium layer accesses the internet. In the end, that's all Vivaldi needs it to do. The UI layer, the Vivaldi layer, conforms to your work flow.

Over time, as Chromium removes code, Vivaldi has good enough developers to replace that code. What happened in this instance is an example. Chromium removed options from the web engine layer. Vivaldi wrote them back into the UI layer.

That's part of the genius of Vivaldi. It does not rely on the rendering engine for its features.

• Agrred I would still like to be able to see what plugins are actice and their version number though

• @asianmusicguy You can still check the Widevine CDM version with vivaldi://components

The whole notion of plugins within Chrome/Chromium will be changing even more in the near future. NPAPI plugins are no longer supported and Flash is the only PPAPI plugin that's in widespread use. Google, even now, considers Widevine and their PDF viewer as components of Chrome, and (according to comments in bug reports written at the time the plugin UI was being removed) the plan (soon?) is to even stop executing those as actual plugins. That's why all the plugin stuff is disappearing. Once Flash finally dies, that'll most likely spell the end for plugin support within Chrome altogether.

• @xyzzy so in your view good bad or inconsequential?

• @asianmusicguy All of the above. :-)

Seriously... Plugins are an ugly hack and have been a security nightmare for browser developers from the start. From that perspective, I won't be sad to see them go. The whole point of HTML5 is also to enable browsers to render content natively on all platforms -- so from that that perspective, we too should be fine (and better off) in a world without plugins as well.

What I definitely don't know are Google's plans for Widevine, or how they plan to incorporate it into Chrome, or license it to third parties in the future if it's no longer handled (or offered) as a true plugin. I don't work for Vivaldi or Google so the only information that I can share is what I've seen shared publicly. DRM support is a necessity these days and I hope that regardless of how Google plans to support Widevine in Chrome, that Vivaldi (and other browsers dependent on Widevine) will still have the ability to play protected content. It's not in Google's best interests to undermine this capability so I don't think that this will be an issue in the end either.

Just my thoughts... and I remain (cautiously) optimistic.

• One problem with the whole killing Flash thing is that some websites use it as a rendering platform to increase opacity. All web content rendered by a standards-compliant browser can be easily accessed and copied – not so with Flash content. DRM proposals are mainly meant for video and audio streaming, but Flash as an opacity layer can "protect" code and text content as well. Things may change somewhat with the introduction of WebAssembly.

• @kumiponi I don't think that Flash will go away entirely anytime soon. The main point that I was trying to convey was that Google views Flash as the last plugin standing and the only 3rd-party component shipping in Chrome. That's how they justified removing the plugin controls. While Google is not banning other PPAPI plugins, their support for them is now minimal at best.

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=615738

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.