Open Tabs in background?

• There are a billion awesome options in Settings for tabs but I didn't see (or recognize) one for "open new tabs in background." Which setting, if it exists, does this?

• Look at keyboard settings, there is an unassigned shortcut for opening in background.

• On 1.8.770.56 Stable I can only find "New Background Tab" in keyboard shortcuts, and that one opens a new empty tab. If you want to open links in background tabs, you can do it by clicking them with the middle mouse button (usually the wheel) or with a mouse gesture (look in Settings -> Mouse).

This is a bit of a shortcoming in configurability.

• @kumiponi search for "background" in settings -- there are 2 shortcuts, one for empty tab, one for links.

• @luetage said:

@kumiponi search for "background" in settings -- there are 2 shortcuts, one for empty tab, one for links.

Nope.
    0_1492296591318_4cca2e75-c99d-4706-9634-86884b5646ab.png

Maybe you're using a Vivaldi snapshot version?

• @kumiponi Yeah, wasn't aware of that difference, seems like you have to wait for 1.9 stable.

• @jaysprout It seems like a pointless option to me. Why would anyone need to open a new speed dial tab in the background? If you want a new tab, which is not from a link on the current page, you have bookmarks, or you open the speed dial to select the page, in which case you will immediately need to give the speed dial focus to select the page.

Can you give an example workflow where this would help you?

• @Pesala said in Open Tabs in background?:

Why would anyone need to open a new speed dial tab in the background?

In my opinion,
    I do not need new speed dial, need just new tab.
    For example, I want to open tab in background from a RSS reader like Reeder or ReadKit on Mac.

And also, To use middle button or shift- right click is a little bit pain for me.
    I would like to choose default action about to open tab to foreground or background.

• I am tearing my hair out with this implementation of "Open Link in New Tab" in vivaldi it makes no sense to me Chrome, IE, Edge, Opera, Firefox all perform this task from the first listing on the right click menu and open the tabs in the background. having to move the mouse makes it a lot slower and frustrating.

• @melito said in Open Tabs in background?:

@Pesala said in Open Tabs in background?:

Why would anyone need to open a new speed dial tab in the background?

In my opinion,
    I do not need new speed dial, need just new tab.
    For example, I want to open tab in background from a RSS reader like Reeder or ReadKit on Mac.

And also, To use middle button or shift- right click is a little bit pain for me.
    I would like to choose default action about to open tab to foreground or background.

chrome IE firefox opera all have this why not vivaldi?

• @rustle There are many ways to open a link in a new background tab. The right-click method is the slowest.

Try Ctrl+Click, Middle-click, or GestureDown, GestureUp.

• @rustle If any feature you want is missing, post in the Feature Requests thread.

Useful features tend to get more upvotes, and so have a better chance of getting implemented.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.