Change cache folder

• Re: RAM cache
    I found Vivaldi new browser today and start try and is I see this is awesome browser.
    But when I search for cache folder and try to change it to RAM Disk I see that is impossible. Sh..t
    I must stop use this browser cuz we cant change cache folder location. That is important for me.
    And I hope devs do something soon about this and must peoples need possibility to change cache folder location.
    Sry for my bad english.

• @strikbi You don't mention your Operating system
    For windows try (disclaimer: I haven't used this myself)
    https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/2446/how-to-change-the-cache-folder
    and https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/8237/set-cache-size

• The switch method is one of several solutions mentioned there, though that has the problem of requiring you to run the browser from a shortcut which you've modified with the switch. That's not always the case, as the browser can start via other means.

The portable install is probably the simplest sure bet, though a RAM disk or symlink are also popular.

This is one feature that should be in preferences though, along with the size.

• @strikbi -- ...& further to TbGbe's advice, for Linux this works fine for me:

Launch V [SS in this case] with this option: --disk-cache-dir=/tmp/vivaldi-snapshot-cache ... having already setup /tmp to run as a ram-drive by this line in fstab: tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults,noatime,mode=1777 0 0

Quite a long time ago i had a similar enquiry to yours; the fstab part was easy [& benefits my whole computer experience, not only my browsers], but i couldn't see how to force V to use it for cache. Wise & kind community members here educated me. If you hang around here, you'll enjoy not only a fabbo browser, but also a nice community.
    ..............................................................................................
    Tower & Lappy = Maui Linux 17.03 x64 Plasma 5.9.3.
    ..............................................................................................

• @rseiler said in Change cache folder:

The portable install is probably the simplest sure bet,

Not sure what you mean?
    There is no "portable install" of Vivaldi. There is a standalone install but that just uses folders under the install directory, there is no "unplug" and its gone.

• In fact, you can simply create a symlink for this.

Steps:

1. move the folder %LOCALAPPDATA%\Vivaldi\User Data\Default to <Target Path>
    2. run cmd as Admin
    3. create symlink with:
      mklink /d "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Vivaldi\User Data\Default" "<Target Path>"

Since %LOCALAPPDATA%\Vivaldi\User Data\Default contains other profile files, you may specifically create a symlink just for %LOCALAPPDATA%\Vivaldi\User Data\Default\Cache instead.

@soalgm said in Change cache folder:

you can simply create a symlink for this.

No. You forget that not all users have Admin rights on a PC.
    The parameter disk-cache-dir is the regular way users should create their own cache target.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.