Vivaldi crashed in the middle of importing bookmarks, won't open now

• As I was trying to import bookmarks from a file, Vivaldi crashed right in the middle of doing so. Now the browser won't open up at all. The first time I imported, it didn't happen, but the second time it did. This is happening on Vivaldi Stable. Only Vivaldi Snapshot will open up.

• Tried rebooting computer and Vivaldi Stable still won't open back up again.

@BradyBunchFan: First, check the task manager and make sure all Vivaldi processes are closed before you try to open it again. If they are, and it still won't open, then just refresh your profile. There have been a few cases of people with a TON of bookmarks experiencing this, but I've not seen it with anyone who just has a few hundred.

If you need to import bookmarks and it won't do it direct from firefox (I assume that's where you're getting them from), then export them to an HTML file from firefox and then import that file. That should work fine.

• @Ayespy said in Vivaldi crashed in the middle of importing bookmarks, won't open now:

@BradyBunchFan: First, check the task manager and make sure all Vivaldi processes are closed before you try to open it again. If they are, and it still won't open, then just refresh your profile. There have been a few cases of people with a TON of bookmarks experiencing this, but I've not seen it with anyone who just has a few hundred.

If you need to import bookmarks and it won't do it direct from firefox (I assume that's where you're getting them from), then export them to an HTML file from firefox and then import that file. That should work fine.

I can't refresh my profile right now because I will lose everything that I imported so far.

@BradyBunchFan: Do it. You won't lose anything.

• @Ayespy

I've tried everything I could, but Vivaldi Stable still refuses to open. So I am going to have to rename my profile folder. But how do I do that?

@BradyBunchFan: You should have two Vivaldi installations. Do you know what folders they are in?

• @Ayespy

I don't, actually. Wish that I knew where they were though.

• Do not get why Vivaldi Snapshot will open but Stable won't. I need Vivaldi Stable to open, but it doesn't seem to want to do that right now.

• Wonder if Vivaldi Stable is corrupted.

@BradyBunchFan: No, it's not. But your profile folder (named the Default folder in your Vivaldi directory) has something in it, probably your bookmarks file, which IS corrupted, and that's why we're going to re-name it.

Please go to: c:/users/(your username)/AppData/Local/Vivaldi and tell me what you see there. You should have perhaps more than one Vivaldi folder in /Local/ with slightly different names.

@BradyBunchFan: And if you can't find c:/Users/Your Username/AppData, let me know that, too, because then we will have to turn on your ability to see hidden system files.

• @Ayespy -- Teehee, your jumping between your Win & Linux personal platforms is showing. You used Linux's forward slashes when talking to a Win user [ie, sloshes not slashes needed here]. Not a criticism btw, am just injecting some tangential levity.

@Steffie: Unless I'm recommending a copy-and-paste of a system address, I always use front-slashes. Always have. I think of it more as directions than an actual address. "Turn left at the big oak tree. It's the driveway after the three boulders, one of them painted white."

• @Ayespy said in Vivaldi crashed in the middle of importing bookmarks, won't open now:

big oak tree

If that had been an old, rather than big, variant, i might have asked if it had any yellow ribbons. However, as it wasn't, i shan't. :tongue:

@BradyBunchFan: And if you can't find c:/Users/Your Username/AppData, let me know that, too, because then we will have to turn on your ability to see hidden system files.

I somehow cannot seem to find the app data.

• @Ayespy

I knew that something about the browser was corrupted all along.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.