Tabs not hibernating since v1.6

• I use a late 2011 macbook pro (macos 10.12.4) which starts to slow down when several apps are open, so I've been keeping TM open and hibernating tabs when necessary. In the past, I could get all the tabs in Vivaldi to hibernate, and Vivaldi would stay open for days at a time.

Recently, I've noticed in the Task Manager (TM) that not all the tabs would hibernate when requested. This has been going on since Chrome 56 was used as the base for Vivaldi (since v1.6 IIRC), and starts eating up resources, mostly memory. I'd end up having to close Vivaldi to free up the mac.

I may have finally solved it by disabling "Throttle expensive background timers" in vivaldi://flags.

Anyone else notice this?

• UPDATE: disabling throttling flag does help, but doesn't fix it. Some tabs still end up as orphans after requesting hibernation, hogging memory all their memory, but little or no CPU. I logged a bug report a couple of days ago (VB-27441).

The expected behaviour (based on before Vivaldi 1.6) was that when "Hibernate background tabs" is selected whilst on the start page should remove all tabs on the task manager from that window. This isn't happening anymore

• Yes, Hibrnation has bug, the sleeping processes are not unloaded.
    That is already known.
    I hope after easter holidays the devs will have a look on this issue.

• @Gwen-Dragon Thanks for the update!

Vivaldi has been my go-to browser for the past 12 months due to its rich user experience, but the memory hogging via tab non-hibernation has become a real source of frustration on my resource limited macbook pro. Looking forward to seeing this bug squashed soon.

• @Gwen-Dragon Problem still present in v1.9, tabs not hibernating properly.

Also, I have the address bar along the bottom. When I press the icon to the left of the URL, the dialog box opens below the address bar and off the screen (I filed a bug report for v1.8).

• Strange i could not find a open bug related to hibernation on Mac. :(

Please be so kind to report this reappearing issue to the developers to fix it.

How to do a bugreport for Vivaldi
    Report every bug seperately at https://vivaldi.com/bugreport/
    Describe the issue as precise as you can.
    If you use any extensions please give information which ones you use.
    If you have a URL or a own testpage which can checked, add it to the bugreport.
    If you have own testcase files (HTML, CSS, JS etc.) add them to the confirmation mail you get after report.
    If you have a screenrecording video, you can attach it to give the developers a hint how this might happen or look like.
    You will get a bug confirmation mail and in a reply to this mail you can add more information and files as attachments for the testers and bug tracking team.

Thanks in advance for helping us to make Vivaldi better!

• @Gwen-Dragon I've re-filed the bug as VB-28005 (I had already filed the bug as VB-27441).

• @Rascasse said in Tabs not hibernating since v1.6:

VB-27441

FYI: VB-27441 is a duplicate and was closed. Saw your VB-28005.

• @Gwen-Dragon In latest update 1.9.818.49, tab hibernation bug still present.

• @Rascasse Perhaps the bug is fixed in 1.10 Snapshot.
    I do not remember all the dozens of changelogs of internal betas ans public ones.

• @Gwen-Dragon thanks! I'll keep you posted as and when new stable updates arrive....

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.