Microsoft Security Essentials thinks Vivaldi is suspicious

• I just got a popup from Microsoft Security Essentials, because it thinks that vivaldi.exe is something suspicious. [attachment=619]MicrosoftSecurityEssentials.png[/attachment] This might be related to the latest Windows update which happened yesterday. Has anyone else seen this? Attachments: [img]https://forum.vivaldi.net/uploads/attachments/730/MicrosoftSecurityEssentials.png[/img]

• This just means that there are no infos regarding vivaldi.exe in MSE's database yet, that's why they want you to send it for analyzing it further. This is pretty common for items that are unknown to MSE and doesn't mean that MSE thinks Vivaldi is suspicious ;)

None of my Windows versions are suspicious of Vivaldi. But then I don't have it in an atypical location, either. It lives where Windows expects to see browsers.

• I am just wondering why this happens now. I had the file from the very first day on my drive, and the computer is always on, so there was time enough to bring this up earlier.

• I have MSE and am not seeing it complain about Vivaldi.

• I have not seen problems. I have good programs that detect bad things. :)

• Cannot confirm for Win 8.1 with Windows Defender.

someone

• @toscho:

I am just wondering why this happens now. I had the file from the very first day on my drive, and the computer is always on, so there was time enough to bring this up earlier.

Because Patch Tuesday was this week… all my PCs have done MS security patches in the last couple of days.

And maybe the reason it's only you is because you're the guy who sent the file so it no longer needs to be checked! Thanks! :)

• You are wondering why this happens? Simple. Antivirus products including Windows Defender use signatures to detect malicious softwares. Since Vivaldi is so new, its not aware what it is, and so it detects it as suspicious. That behavior is normal and expected as the software is very new and Windows Defender does not know what is. Just ignore it, the software is completely safe. Its a false positive.

• Win 10 Defender just asked me to send vivaldi.exe to MS for examination

That's what I call a reactive antimalware !!! 15+ days to spot a (supposedly) suspicious SW :blink: :lol:

Likely MS wants to dissect Vivaldi to clone more of its features in the upcoming Spartan :lol:

• I wonder what is up with the virus scanners going like that… kinda worrying.

• The solution is simple: Use a good one.

• Sadly, reminds me of Avast.
    Avast likely would report a trojan gen.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.