I don't understand Speed Dial thumbnail
I'm trying to customize the Speed Dial page (which I love) but i don't understand how the thumbnails work.
I just want a pretty and simple thumbnails.
example of what i want: By default it's the Twitter logo but when I do it it only shows the website.
Sorry if this has been posted before, but I didn't find the solution with google or on this forum etc.
The SpeedDIal thumbnails are the preview of the website.
And there are pre-customized thumbnails by Vivaldi Technologies as you can see for Twitter, YouTube, Facebook etc.
If you reload such pre-customized thumbnails it will show the website's preview.
Adding own icons in SpeedDial is on the list of devs but not ready.
@Gwen-Dragon Ah ok, is there a way to use the pre-customized thumbnail instead of the website preview ?
There's no easy way to change Speed Dial thumbs yet.
There's a bunch of request for more "powerful" Speed Dial editing in current feature request thread, Feature requests for 1.9 / 1.10
Feel free to vote any of them.
If you interest:
Rather hackish way does available;
- VivaldiHook, change thumbs is part of it. But, newest version is on Github.
- Creating Dial Thumbnails with this script. Need Python & some Python modules. But, focus on Linux.
- Change Speed Dial Thumbs with this Script. Need Python & some Python modules. Also, focus on Linux.
- Super hackish way. By editing file "Top Sites" in our Vivaldi profile. It an SQLITE format. Unfortunately, for me, this one actually I consider the easiest. As it doesn't need a lot of extra anything except SQLITE editor.
There's a very simple trick that gives you a modicum of control over thumbnails without any hacks.
- Open the speed dial page and zoom in to get the display that you want
- Refresh the thumbnail on the speed dial tab
Here's one I just updated for these forums: