browser ads (got malware?)

• Hi, I am having problem with a kind of malware on my Vivaldi browser. Everything is OK until I start the browser. The browser then starts to show different ads and also redirect me to Qtipr(dot)com. Also, when I search something in google, I get some strange search results. I reinstalled Vivaldi and the problem is still there. It also happens on Mozilla Firefox. I googled and found quite a lot of information on this and followed the manual guide in this article but none worked. Is there any suggestion? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

• @forgetsss

Did you tried some malware killers like AdWareCleaner or Spybot Search & Destroy?

I use the first one in case something like this happens. But please be a bit careful those tools should get rid of your problem but they sometimes also flag false positives and might delete some parts of programs you still want to use.
    So you need to have a look at the entries they found - and maybe deselect some - before deleting the adware files.

• @forgetsss
    Oh and by the way you should also rightclick your firefox and vivaldi icons on the desktop select "Properties" than select "Shortcut" leftclick in the line labeled as "Target" there should be some text that shows the way to the installpath of the executable file from those browsers.
    It should look a bit like this "C:\Users\username\Desktop\Vivaldi\Application\vivaldi.exe"
    (this depends where you installed the program)

If there are entries behind the .exe part that look like http://isearch[dot]babylon(dot)com or other urls you don't recognise that you've pasted them there yourself you should delete them.

EDIT: I found a pic that shows what I mean

0_1492080737903_shortcut url.png

• Probably BleepingComputer's site has the best writeup on this adware, and removing it completely can be rather involved. A summary of their comments about qtipr follows: 'Qtipr operates via a special VBScript it installs into the Windows Management Instrumentations (WMI), and to remove the adware, you have to remove the WMI script. Manually cleaning the browser shortcuts won't necessarily keep them clean. In addition to infecting browser shortcuts, qtipr also installs a Chrome extension (Easychrome) to inject ads and popups during browsing.'

If you don't want to wade through the removal process by yourself (and removal by their methods involves a lot of steps along with 4 or 5 adware cleanup programs), their site offers an option (about midway down) to ask for help in their Security Forum. Because of where and how the adware installs itself, there are adware processes running, scripts installed, and program infections that all have to be dealt with to assure full removal of qtipr and any other adware that may also have gotten onto your system when it was infected.

edited to add: I forgot to include the appropriate URL for BleepingComputer: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-qtipr.com-browser-hijacker

• 1. Reset Vivaldi settings

Open vivaldi://about

Make a note of the directory listed under Profile Path:, minus Default.

Close Vivaldi.

Open a system window (Finder or Explorer)

Search for Vivaldi folder following the path you noted above
    (in Mac for example it’s ~/Library/Application Support/).

Delete the entire Vivaldi folder.

Restart Vivaldi.

2. Delete Vivaldi Browser History, Cache and Cookies

Open Vivaldi Browser.

Go to Tools and select Clear Private Data from the menu.

For reference, check the following screenshot.

Clear Vivaldi Private Data

The Settings – Clear browsing data tab will appear. In the first option, select a range. If you want to clear everything, select ‘the beginning of time‘.

If you want to clear everything, select all the available options (Browsing history, download history, passwords, autofill form data, cached images and files, cookies and other site and plugin data and hosted app data). And if you want to keep the saved website login details, uncheck Passwords. Vivaldi browser Clear CachePress the Clear browsing data button.

1. Clean the Qtipr.com browser hijacker with an advanced malware removal tool.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.