drag and drop to open links

• Been a user of Maxthon Browser for quite some time. I've just migrated to Vivaldi as my windows browser. Lot's of new things to discover in Vivaldi. However, I'm frankly surprised why the Drag & Drop feature stinks! The Drag & Drop gesture in Maxthon is great and makes opening links really a breeze. I hope this feature is enhanced and fixed in Vivaldi.

Thanks.

• Please use some lavender oil to get rid of stinky odors resulting from browser features in your surrounding.

And what Drag&Drop is failing in Vivaldi? Explain it.
    Not all of us are willing to install Maxthon or look in their magic glass sphere and guess what you want to say!

• @Gwen-Dragon You're quite the dragon!!! :-)

Lavender oil didn't work ... drag and drop still stinks.

Not asking anybody to install Maxthon. Simply asking if it's possible to adapt Maxthon's drag & drop feature in Vivaldi.

Explain drag & drop feature? Okay, here goes:

Double click on on a link and drag it in any direction then release. Link should open in a new tab.

Thanks.

• I don't know Maxthon, but I dont see any benefit by using double-clicks to open a link in new tab. In Vivaldi I need one single click to a link and it opens in a new tab. Would you please explain?

• @knave.heart said in drag and drop to open links:

Double click on on a link and drag it in any direction then release. Link should open in a new tab.

Click on a link opens it in the current tab, so how's that going to work? To drag a link, just drag downwards or upwards.

This request is already in the Feature requests for 1.9 / 1.10:

Currently one has to drop the link onto the New Tab button, which is more difficult than using the context menu.

Dropping anywhere on the page would be better.

• I know what feature he is talking is about, it is actually very useful but I think he described it poorly.

It is commonly known as super-drag or drag-and-go and basically you don't double click on a link, you just click and drag it anywhere in the page area (commonly you just drag it a few pixels to the left or right) to open it automatically in background (or foreground depending on configuration), as opposed to open in current tab, and instead of having to middle-clicking, or right-click > open in background. It is quite convenient and fast.
    As (very) old Maxthon ex-user (from the early days of MyIE2 still) I do also use this feature to this day, across Firefox and now Vivaldi too.

You can achieve this currently in Vivaldi (or any chromium based browsers that can use extensions) with extensions like CRXMouse, SmartUp, or Drag and Go and quite a few others

• Hello fellow ex-Maxthon user !!! Thanks for this advice.

Yes you're right about the single click (when using a mouse). However, I find it convenient and faster to do a double tap when using a glide pad. :-)

BTW, which extension would you recommend?

Thanks.

• @RWBrf Hello and greetings !!!

I tried the single click to a link but it opened in the same tab. No new tab was opened. Or maybe I did something wrong.

Thanks.

• @knave.heart Single-click opens in the current tab, Shift Click opens in a new Tab, Ctrl Click or Middle click opens in a new background tab. A mouse gesture can also be used.

• @knave.heart I am currently using Smartup, CRXMouse also works well, but be sure to use the "clean" alternate version available in the store. Not sure if is actually cleaner, but one can try.

• @Pesala Thanks for the help. :-)

• @duarte.framos Thanks for the help. I'll try both and see which extension feels "nice to the touch". :-)

• @knave-heart Ahh, now we got one more Vivaldi addict.
    Nice. :)

• I don't use any extension, I guess it's a Chromium feature so it's in Vivaldi too: righ click a link and while keeping clicked move mouse down and the link will open in new tab foreground. same thing but moving mouse down and up open links in new tab in background.. ;)

• @brainvision

righ click a link and while keeping clicked move mouse down and the link will open in new tab foreground

That was part Vivaldi default gesture.
    0_1492087277456_maim_2017-04-13_19-40-47.png
    Notice the description for "Allow Gesture" & default gesture mapping for "New Tab"

Most known browsers, (by default without extension) allow us to click+ drag down the link, then either we drop it on address bar, tab, or at empty area around tab bar. Of course Vivaldi already do those too.

• Since the latest update, I am unable to drag any hyperlinks. Instead, the mouse selects any clickable text before I am able to drag it (this appears to be the behaviour requested in this thread. To be clear, I am not looking for a Maxtel-style superdrag, but rather I need to be able to click and drag a hyperlink to a different window/my tab bar without having to highlight it first. Please make this behaviour a toggle or revert it to the way it worked before.

• @sabrage Seems like you found the answer yourself. Click + up/down to drag, or + left/right to select.

Where exactly is the problem?

• @sabrage said in drag and drop to open links:

the mouse selects any clickable text before I am able to drag it

Drag vertically, not horizontally.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.