Lost all my Vivaldi Settings/History after an update

• I'm currently running Gentoo with Vivaldi ~amd64 (~ = unstable in Gentoo). I run my updates automatically at night, so I'm not sure which update cause this. Here are the versions I've had installed:

1490199514:  ::: completed emerge (1 of 1) www-client/vivaldi-1.8.770.32_p1 to /
    1490260157:  ::: completed emerge (6 of 6) www-client/vivaldi-1.8.770.38_p1 to /
    1490432644:  ::: completed emerge (1 of 1) www-client/vivaldi-1.8.770.44_p1 to /
    1490976261:  ::: completed emerge (2 of 5) www-client/vivaldi-1.8.770.50_p1 to /

The other day I closed and re-opened Vivaldi. All my settings and history were gone. I was back at the initial setup screen.

In the past, I've copied ~/.config/vivaldi to a new machine to copy my settings. When I tried copying settings back from a working machine, and tried to start vivaldi again, I got the same result. I've look at other blog posts/github gists and it seems like people recommend only copying ~/.config/vivaldi/Default so I'll try that in the future.

Also, on that original machine, when I started vivaldi, it lost all the settings as well. Settings loss takes a long time to recover from. I rely a lot on my history. I have enjoyed the speed of Vivaldi, and I'll give it another shot, but I hope I don't have to deal with this again.

Is there a best practice for backing up and restoring settings/profile information?

• @djsumdog said in Lost all my Vivaldi Settings/History after an update:

Is there a best practice for backing up and restoring settings/profile information?

That's indeed frustrating for your data to be lost. I hope someone might be able to shed some light on that for you.

To your above-quoted query, i use SS not Stable as my default browser [though both are installed]. With my "daily driver" SS, before every update that comes through the repos, i always close V then copy ~/.config/vivaldi-snapshot/Default to a dedicated separate directory i keep just for this purpose. These days V is very reliable for me, but in "olden days" that was less true, & many times since Feb 2015 i have had to recover my data after a bad update, from that manual copy. Given that SS updates occur ~1 - 3 week intervals, this practice alone means that it's impossible for me to lose "all" my V data in some catastrophe [+ separately i have my routine weekly backups of my SSD].

Additionally, also as a legacy of those "exciting" 2015 times, i still keep the Session Buddy extension installed & active. It also even these days occasionally has allowed me to recover various tabs in-between my weekly backups if some strange "wobble" occurred.
    ..............................................................................................
    Tower & Lappy = Maui Linux 17.03 x64 Plasma 5.9.3.
    ..............................................................................................

@djsumdog

For the list of files, check the end of this article

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.