Back Button not working properly on random occasions.

• Just an addition: With the UltraNav Touchpad, the bug happens both when swiping (called "3Finger Flick" in settings) and when assigning "Browse backward one webpage" and "Browse forward one webpage" shortcuts to touchpad edges.

Driver ist "Alps", version 8.216.1616.151, date 2016-09-16 with apfiltr.sys version 8,1,1616,521.

I also tried assigning "Press the left arrow key" and "Press the right arrow key" to the edges to see, if these events get recognized twice, too. But they work as expected, moving the cursor only once in Vivaldi. Also when holding down the Alt key at the same, they do exactly what to expect.

• Hi all, I am having a similar issue (back action goes back multiple history points from one activation) and think my setup might help add to the debugging effort.

I use strokesplus, a standalone mouse gesture program to make computer life with my built -in touchpad easier. The application is LUA-based. My normally used back gesture, which works in all other browsers and explorer windows, calls the virtual key VK_BROWSER_BACK as defined by microsoft here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/inputdev/virtual-key-codes

Thanks for your help.

• @brotherfunk Have you tried VK_BACK for backspace? Since this is the keyboard shortcut for going back in history this should theoretically work.

• @luetage
    Thanks for your attention. I appreciate the effort.

There are any number of workarounds that will work, but as the VK browser back works in almost all of my other applications (some really old freeware being the exceptions) as intended, changing the universal behavior of my back gesture would break a lot of others for the sake of one.

I can also just use program specific gestures for vivaldi, but for efficiency's sake, I try to keep as many gestures under the universal umbrella as possible.

The main intention of my post was to help the debuggers recreate and solve why this particular browser seems to treat certain software-based back functions differently than even chrome and chromium, where the VK works fine.

Thanks again, BF

• @brotherfunk said in Back Button not working properly on random occasions.:

My normally used back gesture, which works in all other browsers and explorer windows, calls the virtual key VK_BROWSER_BACK as defined by microsoft here

You found the culprit. Just to test this, I created a simple AutoHotKey script:

^!b:: Send {Browser_Back}

which essentially maps the global hotkey Ctrl+Alt+B to VK_BROWSER_BACK. It works in any window (File Explorer, Opera etc.) as expected, but it goes two steps back in Vivaldi's history.

So it's not a hardware issue at all. It seems to be bug in Vivaldi's window message processing. And it's even worse: Occasionally (!) it goes only one step back, but opens Vivaldi's menu at the same time. So on these occasions it didn't see VK_BROWSER_BACK twice, but the Alt key instead (which wasn't even meant for Vivaldi). To verify this, I remapped the hotkey from Ctrl+Alt+B to Ctrl+B and as a result it reliably goes back two steps in Vivaldi.

Conclusion: Vivaldi processes VK_BROWSER_BACK twice and occasionally bugs out and processes keys meant for other applications.

• This also happens with my laptop's Synaptics Touchpad using the built-in Windows 10 gestures.
    It's quite aggravating. Any ETA for a fix?

• @JoeC00L It can only take another three years. 🤣

• @jtsn It works fine on Windows 7 with a Intellimouse Explorer Classic and the (shitty) drivers that were included.

I now mostly use Linux on the laptop so it's kinda fixed 😉 There are even Vivaldi dev-snapshots for Arch's AUR, I sure don't miss Windows 10.

• same issue for me. Surface 4 Pro, Win10 (recently updated).
    3 finger swipe left/back (and only back) goes back 2 pages.
    edit: I use the built-in Win10 gestures...

• Same issue for me too, it's ridiculous that a bug like that take years to resolve. Deleting Vivaldi. I've been trying to enjoy this browser for a long time but this bug is impeding me do it

• @victorvalenzuela if you need mouse button remapping, you can try XMouseButtonControl software. It have a fix for Vivaldi's bug.

• I get this problem too, on some sites more than others I think. Also I sometimes have to press Back twice to go back one page in the history - the first click seems to get ignored. Very standard hardware - Dell Latitude E7490, 2-button Dell mouse.

• I also have this problem (2 pages back) for example in https://meta.discourse.org, and i'm using a precision touchpad with the following configuration (3 finger swipe for back and forward):

0_1562824684657_fd8f1651-7452-483e-ac05-cf2eee72afad-image.png

• Ambassador

@TheBestPessimist I see the two pages back problem with the multi-media keyboard keys, but not with mouse gestures.

Specs: AMD A10-6800K, 8 Gb on Win 10 64-bit 1809 build 17763.615 • Snapshot 2.7.1594.4 (64-bit)

• Unfortunately, i have this problem on multiple sites: back gesture (as per https://forum.vivaldi.net/post/305615) takes me 2 pages back on more than just discourse forums, and happens almost always.

Even on this forum if i visit 3 different topics then do "back swipe" - i am taken to topic #1 and not topic #2 as it is expected.

• Could someone point me to how to take a debugging snapshot, or how to record the vivaldi-internal data which may help devs figure out this annoying bug?

@TheBestPessimist Please make a screen recording and a step by step description to reproduce the issue, report a bug, reply to report mail and add recording as a attachment to developers.

• @TheBestPessimist I got the same issue.
    It could happen because there are different implementations of the backward/forward button, hence there are multiple keycode.
    See Autohotkey key log.

VK  SC	Type	Up/Dn	Elapsed	Key
    A6  06A	a	d	2.70	Browser_Back   	
    A6  06A	a	u	0.00	Browser_Back   	
    02  000	h	d	2.92	RButton        	
    59  02D	h	d	1.53	y              	
    A6  16A	i	d	0.00	Browser_Back   	
    A6  16A	i	u	0.00	Browser_Back

While the 06A Scan Code (SC) works, the 16A is malfunctioning and moves two pages. Note: Windows touchpad gestures is producing the 16A. Remember: Key name and code are two different things.

• I have workaround:
    I have Thinkpad t520, same issue, same thing. I mapped this "back" button (above left arrow) as a bakspace. Bakspace works in all browsers as "back" button. I used "Key remapper" software. It works wery well.

• @Lukasz78000 said in Back Button not working properly on random occasions.:

I have workaround:
    I have Thinkpad t520, same issue, same thing. I mapped this "back" button (above left arrow) as a bakspace. Bakspace works in all browsers as "back" button. I used "Key remapper" software. It works wery well.

OK, "bakcpace" war wrong choice. [left alt]+[left arrow] is better, really works everywhere. And you can map [left alt]+[right arrow] to the "formward" key.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.