Allow only one instance

• Hi there,

Yesterday I made the switch from Opera to Vivaldi.
    I was already using it as my secondary browser and so I had a lot of tabs open already.
    But I opened a second instance by accident VD (Virtual Desktops in Windows).

After closing both instances of Vivaldi and restarting it I lost all my tabs and sessions :(
    I installed Session Buddy so I won't have that problem anymore (though I think Vivaldi should handle this better..)

Anyway, could you add an option to only allow one instance of Vivaldi?
    This way, I won't start a new Instance if I'm in another VD.

Sc0tTy

• I am afraid this won't happen because it is intended behaviour.
    The second instance is the same a the command "Ctrl + N" --> "New Windows" which - I guess - is heavily used by people with two or more monitors and or to separate work from private stuff.

The "issue" you were experiencing is triggered by the following: Vivaldi remembers the session that was in the instance / window that was closed last (an exception are private windows those doesn't count in on this) and when you open vivaldi again it will bring up all the tabs that were open in the last window.

So I make a guess and say you may have closed the vivaldi with all your open tabs first and than the empty one.

When you think it will be a good idea to make this an option so you can switch between "I can open all the windows I want" and "I don't want more than one window" you can post a feature request in this thread - so other users can upvote your suggestion if they like it and it may bring attention about the need of this function to the developers.

• @Sc0tTy said in Allow only one instance:

Hi there,

Yesterday I made the switch from Opera to Vivaldi.
    I was already using it as my secondary browser and so I had a lot of tabs open already.
    But I opened a second instance by accident VD (Virtual Desktops in Windows).

After closing both instances of Vivaldi and restarting it I lost all my tabs and sessions :(

This happens to many people and has been discussed in this forum.

One workaround is: When you launch Vivaldi and found a lot of tabs missing, look at the trash bin on the tab bar. Then, you'll find entries that say "Window with n tabs". Click on one of them and select "All". Then all the previous tabs of the lost window will be restored.

In the meanwhile, let's ask the Vivaldi developers to implement a feature that would prevent this from happening. One idea is this feature: When you click on the "close" button of the Vivaldi window and if there is another Vivaldi instance, Vivaldi would ask "Merge tabs with Window XX / Close without merging / Cancel closing?"

• @ryofurue
    Sadly I couldn't find my tabs there either, they where lost in the void. That's why I installed Session Buddy.

• @zaibon
    I understand that that action requires multiple instances but its also something I never do, so for me personally it wouldn't be an issue.

I split my workload over several browsers (Edge, Chrome, Opera, Firefox), not several Vivaldi windows. This way I can associate a browser with the type of stuff I'm doing. For instance development or research.

Isn't a feature request something I just did?
    (Obviously I think its a good idea, otherwise I wouldn't have created a topic :P)

For now I'll just use Vivaldi on VD#1 and click on Edge if I need to find something.

• @Sc0tTy

@Sc0tTy said in Allow only one instance:

Isn't a feature request something I just did?

Hehe yes you did - I was just suggesting that you might want to repost it there because the only reason of the feature request thread is to post such suggestions and to upvote the ones you like.
    I have to admit that reading all of it (atm 465 comments and still counting) is a hell of a work but I read a few sites of it every day and vote for the ideas I like and so do others too.
    The thread restarts every one or two stable versions so you can adjust your requests.

Another possibility is to file a bug report - because this blocks your workflow so there is more or less a need for a fix or workaround.
    You can do this here: https://vivaldi.com/bugreport

• @zaibon
    Hmm I think I'll file a bug report first then :)
    Thanks for the feedback

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.