A few words

• I apologize in advance if I'm posting this in the wrong place, but I just wanted to give a few quick thoughts about Vivaldi in a single topic rather than writing in a few different ones.

First things first; I truly like Vivaldi. Finally there's a browser for those of us who dislike this whole "uniformism trend". I miss the good days of the old Opera and Firefox. I miss the browsers that were created to accept the user and all of their needs rather than forcing them to adjust to something that is set in stone. Vivaldi truly is a breath of fresh air. Or should say it's a breath of old air in a new package. And that's a good thing.

I've been trying to use Vivaldi as a default browser ever since 1.0. Needless to say, I'm saddened to write that I am unable to do so. Why is that, you may ask? Well, the list of reasons was fairly large at first, but it became really short in recent months. The main reason is this: after some time Vivaldi will simply slow down to a crawl. I seem to unable to find the cause of this. It's certainly not related to the system itself as I can't detect any CPU or memory spikes at any point in time. Furthermore, while Vivaldi is in this "slow motion" state I can't close a single tab. Well, I can, but if I do, every single instance of vivaldi.exe goes along with it. I can't think of anything more counterproductive than that.

With that out of the way there just a few annoyances that I'd like to point out. It seems that you can't use right-click on the bookmarks that don't fit into the main bar, which is truly inconvenient. Right-click usually opens up a dropdown menu with several options, but when it comes to those bookmarks it just loads them like they were selected with a left-click. Oh, and one thing that I was hoping to find in Vivaldi is the option to place tabs below the address bar (just take a look at Palemoon). I was honestly suprised to see there is no such option. I had more to write, but it has escaped my mind while I was writing this.

There's one more thing: I understand why you chose to go with Chromium but I'd be lying if I said that I'm not concerned about privacy as even Chromium calls his dad from time to time. And we all know what Google is like. Google + Privacy = ... Well, you get the picture.

That's all from me. I wish you all the very best.

• Consider trying some of these adjustments.

Bookmark bar it's not complete yet; you should use bookmark panel for that. (I'm sure will be solved).

I think vivaldi is slightly more secure than chrome as is based on chromium, so chrome without the "goodies" (and tracking) add by google.

This could be a kind of limitation, as extensions/sites which rely on google APIs couldn't work, but usually is not a big problem.

• @Hadden89 said in A few words:

Consider trying some of these adjustments.

I already did. It doesn't help at all.

• Oh, and one thing that I was hoping to find in Vivaldi is the option to place tabs below the address bar (just take a look at Palemoon). I was honestly suprised to see there is no such option.

@Matron You can place tabs below the address bar. I wrote code for a similar request some time ago. The tab bar is in the header of Vivaldi, whereas the address bar is in the body, if you wanna use this code you have to go to vivaldi://settings/tabs and set the tab bar position to bottom. This change is needed to keep it simple and CSS only.

How to implement the code: https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/10549/modding-vivaldi

body {
    	display: flex;
    	flex-flow: column;
    }

#tabs-container.view-thumbs.bottom {
    	order: -1;
    }

.toolbar.toolbar-addressbar.search {
    	order: -2;
    }

• @luetage I'm aware of that. Still, it is disappointing that there is no such option in the UI. Especially if you consider that you can move tabs almost wherever you want to.

• Well, you can complain or you can do something about it. Personally I don't think features/fixes the community can do by itself should have priority over things like sync and email.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.