No tab icon shown when icon path is relative

• It looks like a bug. Vivaldi 1.8.770.50 doesn't show tab icon when icon path is relative to document location, e.g.:

<html>
    <head>
    	<link rel="icon" href="./icon16.png">
    	<link rel="shortcut icon" href="./icon16.png">
    </head>
    <body spellcheck=false>
    	Do you see tab icon?
    </body>
    </html>

Just try with any icon16.png file near this test HTML file. No tab icon is shown, but bookmark icon is shown.
    Also you can try e.g. uBlock Origin's settings page: no tab icon shown too while it is defined.

Firefox and Chrome show tab icon properly in case of relative path.

I fetched from my webserver (HTML file and icon in same folder) and i can see the icon with a relative path [Windows 1.8.770.50 Stable (32+64bit) Win 10x64].

I hope you know thet on most web servers uppercase and lowercase characters in filenames are not the same as on Windows!

• @Gwen-Dragon,
    I have no web servers for tests but it apparently doesn't work with HTML files from disk and on extension setting pages for me. Can you confirm this?

• @MVV_ First of all, what's the purpose of using one dot with a slash ./? It seems to be ignored by the browser anyway. You should either use:

• file.ext for files within the same directory;
    • path/file.ext for files within child directories;
    • ../path/file.ext for files within parent directories;
    • /path/file.ext for files within different directory trees.

@MVV_ said in No tab icon shown when icon path is relative:

Also you can try e.g. uBlock Origin's settings page: no tab icon shown too while it is defined.

As I said in this topic (where we've also discussed favicon issues), favicons for extensions are not supported in Vivaldi at all...

• It really doesn't matter with a dot or without, Vivaldi still doesn't show PNG favicon with relative path for HTML files on disk.

• @MVV_ It works fine here. Tested in Vivaldi 1.8.770.50 (Stable) / 1.8.770.46 (Snapshot) (both 32-bit on Windows 10 x64)

Here's the code used:

<!DOCTYPE html>
    <html>
    <head>
        <link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.png">
    </head>
    <body>
    </body>
    </html>

Files stored locally. PNG file about 300px wide/high.

• @pafflick,
    Strange that it doesn't work for me with exactly your HTML file and 300x300 PNG image:
    No tab icon in Vivaldi
    Note that Firefox shows tab icon properly while Vivaldi 1.8.770.50 doesn't.

• @MVV_ Have you tried it in a private window? If it works there, maybe it's time to clear the cache? Actually, let me paste the whole "litany" about solving some common issues with Vivaldi, here - maybe one of it will help you:

1. Force reload the page and all of its contents including scripts, styles and images (by default: press [CTRL] + [SHIFT] + [R] or [CTRL] + [F5]);
    2. Open the page in Private Window (by default: press [CTRL] + [SHIFT] + [N] to launch a new Private Window or select Menu > File > New Private Window). If the page works in Private Window, then go to step 4.
    3. Disable all extensions (if this resolves your issue, then try enabling them one by one to check which one is causing the trouble);
    4. Clear browsing data and restart the browser if necessary;
    5. Refresh your profile;
    6. Try another instance of Vivaldi to check if the issue occurs there too - preferably the latest Snapshot (you can download it from here). Don't update your current Vivaldi! Install new instance as "standalone", so that it doesn't interfere with your current installation. You can easily get rid of it later by removing the folder where it was installed.

• I've created new HTML file and opened it for the very first time so no cache influence can have place. And I can reproduce it again and again with new documents, so it is definitely not the cache issue.

By the way the strange thing is that tab icon is shown properly in private window! But normal window still doesn't show it... Clearing cache or disabling extensions doesn't help.

I've installed and started standalone Vivaldi 1.8.770.50 and it still doesn't show tab icon in its main window! What a weird bug...

Can confirm it with local file, relative path on 1.8.770.54.
    Is a bug with local file protocol.

I will report it.

VB-27185 "Local HTML file does not load favicon"

• @MVV_ Well, I must've overlooked that and I've checked the local files in private windows only (I have the habit of opening almost every web page in private windows). I did tests with web-based files in standard windows, however.

I can confirm the bug - actually, it might be the cause for the extension's favicons not showing up...

• @Gwen-Dragon said in No tab icon shown when icon path is relative:

I will report it.

Thank you!

@pafflick said in No tab icon shown when icon path is relative:

I can confirm the bug - actually, it might be the cause for the extension's favicons not showing up...

I also think that it may be the cause...

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.