Customise Speed Dial & Rendering Engine

• This is an exciting and extremely promising start. The developers clearly have their heart in this and that alone is a compelling reason to switch to Vivaldi. I'm going to be observing Vivaldi's progress with interest as newer builds are released. First impressions of the technical preview are extremely positive. The browser has a slick interface and some really amazing new ideas such as multiple sections for Speed Dial and some of the core features restored from Opera 12. However the two aspects I feel are in most need of being iterated and improved upon are: [b]Customising Speed Dial:[/b] I loved the multiple sections. That is an amazing idea. However I was disappointed that I couldn't yet change the Speed Dial background or customise the number of thumbnails shown on-screen. [b]Rendering engine:[/b] I appreciate the software is extremely early but the rendering engine for web pages is unusually slow. I'd love to see some powerful speed improvements implemented in the browser in the near future. If these two issues are remedied in future releases I could definitely see myself switching to Vivaldi permanently in the future. Once these issues are addressed I'd happily switch to this extremely promising new software. Good luck to all the developers in your efforts to iterate this wonderful and very promising new browser.

• @Ghost_Messiah:

Customising Speed Dial: I loved the multiple sections. That is an amazing idea. However I was disappointed that I couldn't yet change the Speed Dial background or customise the number of thumbnails shown on-screen.

I believe this is already in the works. I hope with high priority.

Rendering engine: I appreciate the software is extremely early but the rendering engine for web pages is unusually slow. I'd love to see some powerful speed improvements implemented in the browser in the near future.

No, page rendering is more or less on par with other Chromium based browsers.

What it's slower, for now, is the GUI. eg: switching from a tab to another

From what I can understand the GUI is designed with the page rendering engine rather than the native OS GUI.

This should ease the work on multiform, but is intrinsically slower than the native approach.

So the speed of the GUI, while has a great margin of improvement, likely will never be on par with other chromium based browsers.

For the record the last snapshot (1.0.98.2) is already way faster than the first preview. Be sure you're using the former.

• Many thanks for such an insightful and intelligent response! I did download the most recent snapshot and you were right; Vivaldi is much faster in this more recent version. Page loads seem to be just about on par with Opera 27 now. There's almost zero delay between each page loading and rendering. I'd definitely be willing to switch permanently from Opera to Vivaldi once the browser becomes more streamlined and feature complete. Should Speed Dial be iterated and improved upon and the browser become more advanced overall I'd definitely consider switching. Really all I want is Speed Dial customisation and as you say perhaps a faster interface and I'd probably switch for good.

Looking forward to the next snapshot next week. Hoping the Speed Dial improvements come soon.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.