Cannot install Vivaldi Snapshot

• I am trying to install Vivaldi Snapshot, but I am getting a message saying that this computer already has a more recent version of Vivaldi. Could it mean that Vivaldi and Snapshot are the same thing?

@BradyBunchFan: Windows 10 does that sometimes, though it shouldn't, and I'm not yet able to figure out why. It's done it to me a couple of times.

I assume you're trying to set up a standalone install, which would be the proper way, and that SHOULD work. If you run as administrator and it still doesn't work, then just wait a few days. There will be a new Snapshot, it will be a higher number than your stable version, and it will install without issue. Once you have both of them installed, each will update without incident, and without consulting Windows to know if there is a "newer" build installed.

• @Ayespy

I'm looking at the download right now and it says Vivaldi 1.8. I already have the recent version of the browser installed which happens to be 1.8. So that's why Snapshot is refusing to install. Because it's the same thing.

@BradyBunchFan: It's not the same. The builds are substantially similar, but Windows doesn't know that. 1.8 Stable is, at this moment, a number increment newer than 1.8 Snapshot. The next snapshot will most probably be a 1.9. Then it will slowly increment over each new snapshot until we see 1.9 Stable, but each new snapshot will have something the Stable branch didn't have and probably something the prior snapshot didn't have.

• @Ayespy

Then why can't I download Vivaldi Snapshot?

@BradyBunchFan: The Snapshot version is 1.8.770.46 (Official Build). The Stable version is 1.8.770.50 (Stable channel). Note that .50 is a higher number than .46. This is because to issue Stable, the existing Snapshot (1.8 Release Candidate 2) had to be re-compiled with installers for the Stable stream so that Stable would pick it up and update. Each time .46 was re-compiled (for Win64, Win32, Mac, Linux) the number was incremented - .47, .48, .49, .50 So although basically the same build, the Stable version now has a higher number than the Snapshot version. For reasons known only to Windows, your system won't let you install a version that ends in .46, because you already have a version that ends in .50. It shouldn't make any difference, and Windows shouldn't care, but it does. As far as I can tell, Win10 is the only OS that does this, and it only does it sometimes.

The very next snapshot that comes out, tomorrow or the next day, or early next week, will have a higher number than Stable does - and Windows will quit blocking you from installing it.

• @Ayespy

Okay. Thank you. By the way, I have Windows 7 and not 10.

@BradyBunchFan: Good to know. I thought only 10 was doing this.

• @Ayespy I personally prefer the older Windows operating systems. Though I do use Windows 10, I use it somewhere else outside of my house.

• Where can i get the snapshot ? i would like to test it on my win 10

• Vivaldi Translator

@Deejavu
    Snapshot always delivered on latest Blog.
    Currently; https://vivaldi.com/blog/snapshots/vivaldi-1-8rc-2-vivaldi-browser-snapshot-1-8-770-46/

I suggest to install it as Standalone.

• @dLeon Thanks. are snapshots older version ?

@Deejavu: Usually, on almost every day except the day a new Stable version is released, the Snaphsots are the newest versions. They are "older" than the Stable version (this is have a lower sequential number) only very briefly, until the next Snapshot is released, and then they are the newest again until the day the next Stable comes out.

@BradyBunchFan May be you mixed newer and old versions.

In this case (helped me) do this:

1. Open Windows registry with regedit.exe
    2. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Vivaldi
    3. Open key pv
    4. It may have a REG_SZ value like 1 .x. xxx version number
    5. Remove this number
    6. Leave regedit

• @Ayespy

Snapshot is older than Stable?

• @Gwen-Dragon

Are you talking to me?

@BradyBunchFan: Today it is. Next week it will be newer.

• @Ayespy

Thank you. Now I am not confused anymore.

• I cannot seem to download Vivaldi Snapshot at all anymore. All I just get is a web page link instead.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.