Vivaldi (32bit, 1.7.735.46 on Win7 Ult) crashes immediately upon startup, across users and installations. I'm desperate.

• After a restart of my system, Vivaldi 1.7.735.46 on Win7 Ultimate started crashing on startup.
    I see the little Windows thinky wheel for a second, and then..nothing.

Observations:
    -Original version generated error log filled with:
    0608/104725:ERROR:process_info.cc(608)] range at 0xfffde000, size 0x230

-Reboot didn't help
    -reboot in safe mode didn't help
    -starting in admin mode didn't help
    -starting a new incognito tab
    -reinstallation didn't help (follwing an uninstall)
    -installation of newest version didn't help
    -installation of portable version of last stable build didn't help
    -installation on another user account didn't help

Please help. I'm desperate. I have my profile backed up, but would really like to use my favourite browser.

@gorgonaut: What do you see in task manager after you start it?

• @Ayespy
    The vivaldi.exe *32 process shows up for a very brief time, then terminates.

When I had the original installation- the one with extensions, it would tell me that they crashed.
    The new installations are without extensions, and provide no further info.

@gorgonaut-ewww. If I were you (and I HATE to recommend reg cleaners) I would uninstall Vivaldi, completely cleanse the registry of any traces of it, and then install it again.

• @Ayespy
    Would CCleaner work? I've avoided registry cleaners myself, and as such, am woefully ignorant about them.

@gorgonaut - It might. It's one of the safer ones, but it MIGHT not remove all Vivaldi keys. You would have to try and see.

• @Ayespy
    I'll see if this gets me anywhere tomorrow, and report back- for people in the future that, like me, might come to google the same problem without finding a relevant resolution...

• If you go back to the point in time where you restarted your system and Vivaldi started crashing, if you look in Windows Event Viewer under Windows Logs > System, are there any red-flagged errors surrounding that point in time? I'm wondering if there was some kind of system file issue or corruption that occurred at system restart, and that's now blocking Vivaldi from subsequently starting up.

• @Ayespy
    Cleaning the registry didn't work, unfortunately..

• @Blackbird
    I'll check that out when I'm back at work tomorrow. It's weird- I can't wrap my brain around it. It seems like there's something in the system that's borked, but it's only Vivaldi that's having problems.

• While you're checking, look into whether something on the system other than Vivaldi was updated/downloaded around that point in time (eg: Windows, an AV program, a driver, etc). The idea isn't so much to 'pin the blame' on something besides Vivaldi as it's finding out what else on the system, if anything, might have changed or occurred around or just prior to the start of the problem's onset.

• @Blackbird
    I've checked the logs, and this is the only thing that pops up as possibly relevant:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
    {C97FCC79-E628-407D-AE68-A06AD6D8B4D1}
    and APPID
    {344ED43D-D086-4961-86A6-1106F4ACAD9B}
    to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

• It's hard for me to say whether that error message is causing the Vivaldi problem. However, you can try the technique described in the article citing that very same error message: http://www.itexperience.net/2010/10/29/event-10016-the-application-specific-permission-settings-do-not-grant-local-launch-permission-for-the-com-server-application-with-clsid-c97fcc79-e628-407d-ae68-a06ad6d8b4d1/ in order to grant the necessary permissions as described therein, and see if it helps with the Vivaldi problem. On the other hand, the error might be coming from something else on the system. Sometimes shutting-down/restarting an OS creates bit errors with bizarre side effects.

• @Blackbird
    Unfortunately, this had no effect, either.
    Is there anything else I could do to track down the source of this issue?

• Several background questions:

1. Do you run any other chromium-based browsers on the system (eg: Chrome, new Opera, etc)?
    2. Have you tried renaming the Vivaldi profile's \default folder to something else before reinstalling Vivaldi?
    3. What name is/are your antivirus program(s)?
    4. Was Vivaldi the default browser on the system at the time it began failing?
    5. Have you tried installing Vivaldi from within a user account having admin-level access?
    6. Did you install any other software or update an existing program/driver in the usage session prior to the shutdown which seemed to trigger the Vivaldi failure upon restart?

Since there are so many possible ways things can get messed up (peculiar registry conflicts with existing browsers, corrupted existing profiles being auto-imported upon installation, UAC issues, protection software interference, etc), the object is to eliminate possible causes.

• I had very similar problem with Chrome (thou more than a year ago) and after days of googling what solved my problem was to fully uninstall my Firewall/AV which seemed to clear some unsolvable problems with user/file rights for my profile folders. I think I was using Comodo at that time, but cannot be 100% sure. I would check the antivirus/firewall settings if something has been blacklisted, isolated or otherwise affecting the system and maybe uninstall/restart the firewall and also Vivaldi and see if it leads to anything.

What comes to the registry, one should manually check all references to Vivaldi with a search and maybe also the path it is installed into and (after uninstallation of Vivaldi) remove all of them.

• @Widiar
    Removing Comodo Firewall fixed it! I'd swear, but I'm trying to act like the grown-up people seem to think I am. Thanks a million times over!

• @Blackbird Thanks for your help! I solved it by removing my Comodo firewall. I do appreciate your valiant efforts to guide me throught this special hell:)

• @gorgonaut Glad it got solved. I definitely (over) did my own part what comes to words unfit to be printed in a media filled with properly behaving adult people (who are we kidding, we all know how internet is like..). Sadly it's sort of my job, so I have to do it every so often and just suck it up, hoping it helps me and other users in the future when something similar happens. Firewalls and all sorts of security suites are a pain in the neck when they do some weird stuff behind the screens, without the user knowing what is going on. Remember this lesson in the future too, when some other program is miss behaving and nothing else seems to work. It's like the new holy grail of "did you try to reboot it?" -methods.

I can't believe I didn't ask about 3rd party security software. That has always been one of my standard queries. Sorry, guys...

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.