A Call For a Security-Related Update/Improvement (If Need Be)

• In many factions of the Internet, people are growing increasingly more concerned about their privacy. Including me. Currently, I am using Vivaldi as my main browser. And, I was wondering if Vivaldi was relatively safe from any intrusive tracking. I ask this because I understand that Vivaldi is based on Chromium, a Google product. And, as you may know, Google has used ads and other trackers to track a users activity. My Question is: Is Vivaldi safe from trackers and other things used to track you from Google? And, if not, will Vivaldi be more security-focused in the future?

• Vivaldi Team

Hi, perhaps this is what you are looking for :D ? https://vivaldi.com/privacy/browser/ its a bit of a read, but general tldr is "protecting your privacy is a top priority"

• @Aronand -- Nice... but i still hope you guys will be giving us the option to block HTML5 Canvas Fingerprinting sooner rather than later. Slimjet has had this now for a couple of years.
    ....................................................................................
    Tower & Lappy = Maui 17.03 x64 Plasma 5.9.3.
    ....................................................................................

• @BlazeKing252 said in A Call For a Security-Related Update/Improvement (If Need Be):

I ask this because I understand that Vivaldi is based on Chromium, a Google product.

You need to understand the difference between Chrome and Chromium...

One is "a Google product" (based on Chromium) and the other is an open-source browser (with Google backing).

• Vivaldi Translator

@mossman

Chromium is opensource & bet it always will be. But, their devs still follow Google veto.
    They're free to implement or create something new. If Google said won't apply it to Google Chrome, development stop, period.

Aside that if Google plan something for future Google Chrome, all development will go toward that while stall others. I kind to read this behaviour in their https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list.

Maybe weekly or monthly, Chromium devs serve some Chromium built that they're consider stable to Google.
    Google will pick one, and apply their own patches.
    Not much, just icons, naming & extra tracking plus multi layers auto update stuff if you're in Windows or Mac. I did said it's not much. :grin:

• @dLeon Yeah, so all the Google-y spyware-type security-risk things people are worried about will be built in to Chrome but not so much in Chromium... and since Chromium is open source people can spot anything nasty and the Vivaldi guys should be able to disable it.

In other words: Vivaldi should not be secretly phoning information home to Google, so BlazeKing252 can relax.

• @Aronand thanks for informing me.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.