Change Speed Dial Thumbs with this Script

• script for linux modified from github.com/cuiba/
    wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/killown/scripts/master/vivaldiThumbsReplacer
    chmod +x vivaldiThumbsReplacer
    sudo mv vivaldiThumbsReplacer /usr/bin/
    install python pill lib know as python pillow
    now you can use it vivaldiThumbsReplacer image.png
    1 - if you want to change the youtube dial, you download/save the image with the name youtube, it can be youtube123123.png youtubem2n2m34n.jpg or whatever
    2 - if the dial name is Youtube Videos, so the string "Youtube Videos" needs to be in the name of the image file.
    3 - update the dial before you want change it or the thumb won't change
    4 - if you want update all dials, just use vivaldiThumbsReplacer anystringhere and it will automatically update every thumb
    alt text
    Right now I am using this script in thunar, with a right click in the image I can change the dial.

• really unneeded effort, as there's already VivaldiHooks for this

• @iAN-CooG You don't need to hook a JS file on startup to load thumbnails with this. Did you check the script out? It's perfectly fine to stay quiet if you don't understand something.

@luciothiago Happy hacking!

• I'm free to express my opinion, thank you.
    It's a lot of work, requires python and whatnot when it's just needed to use VivaldiHooks, I just find it excessive when there's already an easier solution, but hey, you are also free to waste your time as you wish.

• @iAN-CooG said:

It's a lot of work, requires python and whatnot when it's just needed to use VivaldiHooks, I just find it excessive when there's already an easier solution, but hey, you are also free to waste your time as you wish.

Please give step-by-step instructions how to achieve the same with Vivaldi Hooks then. I don't want to waste my time learning how to install and use a some vague GitHub project. Let's see which way is really the easiest. :D

• Vivaldi Translator

@kumiponi
    For VivaldiHook, you just need to add a line in browser.html. You're practically done. No need to install anything new.
    Available for Windows, Mac & Linux.

And, I can't be more step by step than README.MD at https://github.com/justdanpo/VivaldiHooks

• Vivaldi Translator

@forte95
    This one interesting approach too. Probably people with knowledge of Python PIL would be interested. I'm OK with it.
    I see VivaldiHook & this Python script as one (well ok, two) of first Vivaldi extensions.

But, better to point that .vivaldithumbs to under .cache. It's XDG correct I guess.

Note:
    I use neither. I'm just fine with Vivaldi current. I don't have extra needs.

• @kumiponi If you're on Windows you can just run the batch file. VivaldiHooks is easier to install. It hooks up a JS file on startup, which may or may not be what you want. You don't need to do that with this script. That's why I don't believe it's unneeded effort.

• Um, you're saying I can switch my speed dial tumbnails to my liking by just installing VivaldiHooks? What then?

• @kumiponi
    You'll find a hooks management option in vivaldi > settings > startup
    If the change-speed-dial-image.js is enabled you'll see a menu item to "change" when you right click a speed dial button.
    0_1490574166555_063.jpg

• !

• @CantankRus well I am using it right now and I must admit this hook thing is so good

• tab free space with vivaldi hooks went all blue, changed the theme and didn't fix it
    alt text

• @luciothiago
    I commend you on writing the script and I would use it if I did not want some of the other vivaldi hooks customization.
    The script is another useful option on Linux.... well done.

• @luciothiago
    Try disabling focused-window-title-color and reloading vivaldi.

• @CantankRus thank you fixed now!

• For anyone wanting to use custom thumbs for speed dial it works best with 4:3 jpg images.(eg 300x225px)
    If I can't download a good jpg I use shutter screenshot tool(Linux) to take a screen selection.
    Shutter allows you to set an initial selection size and crop images.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.