Popup Thumbnails of Tab Stack don't disappear if switch between tabs by scrolling

• Vivaldi Translator

Hi all!

I want to ask everyone, please watch this video, try to reproduce this bug.
    Don't forget to previously enable "Switch Tabs by Scrolling" feature from Settings > Tabs, "Tab features" section.

https://youtu.be/1RvO5PeUWU8

So, could you reproduce it or not?

I'm using Windows 10 x64 and in this video's Vivaldi version is 1.8.770.44.

• @RammsteinAM I think you will find that it is By Design that the thumbnails only disappear when the current tab is the active tab. The preview thumbnails should be shown for the tab that is pointed to by the mouse cursor.

• Vivaldi Translator

@Pesala sorry, I didn't get, why thumbnails should remain open when I have already switched to desired tab by scrolling on the tabs? I don't think it was designed like this, because it does not make sense.

• @RammsteinAM They should remain open as long as the mouse cursor is focused on the tab, otherwise popup thumbnails would be utterly useless for recognising the background tabs.

0_1490479904494_Thumbnail Popup.png

If they are not disappearing when you move the mouse cursor to the page, then I cannot reproduce that behaviour.

• Vivaldi Translator

@Pesala Yes, as you can see in the video, the thumbnails stay when I move the cursor out of the tab bar. They stay even when I focus the page. And this only occurs with tab stack thumbnails. With single tab thumbnails everything is OK and the disappear when I move mouse out.

What is your Operating System?

• @RammsteinAM You said nothing about Tab Stacks, but the current behaviour does make sense.

The Thumbnail Previews do not show up on Tab Stacks when you scroll past the stacked tabs with mouse-wheel scroll. They only show up when you hover a tab stack with the mouse cursor.

When you do that, you must select a tab from among the stack to be the focused tab among those in the stack.
    0_1490481357832_No Previews.png
    Basically, you are starting another action (scrolling tabs) before completing the previous action (select a tab in the tab stack).

• @RammsteinAM -- Yes, your symptoms also occur to me, & this hassle has been present for a very long time [multiple months, maybe even a year or more]. I use Linux not Windows, so it's not unique to your OS. I've not complained about it before coz [a] i wasn't sure that it necessarily was a V thing; i've been having various challenges with my graphics due to suspected Nvidia gpu &/or driver issues, & their interactions with my DE's compositing, so i felt it unfair for me to blame V necessarily, [b] i hadn't noticed anyone else post about this before, which only increased my suspicion it might have been uniquely my own issue.

Anyway, rest assured, you are not the only V user on the planet to have this problem... there's at least two of us now!
    ....................................................................................
    Tower & Lappy = Maui 17.03 x64 Plasma 5.9.3.
    ....................................................................................

• Vivaldi Translator

@Pesala Look, imagine you have a stack from 3 tabs and the middle one is active. Now you want to switch to another tab which is the left one. If you do not use "Switch tabs by scrolling" feature, it's OK to hover the stack and click desired thumbnail, but if you are using that feature, you will know that you can switch to your desired tab by hovering any tab and scrolling one step up. Intuitively any user will hover not a random tab, but the current stack. Now you have already scrolled up and the desired left tab has become active. But the thumbnails are still there. Why? How this can make sense? I don't understand, sorry. :confused:

• @RammsteinAM: It's readily reproducible. Did you file a bug report?

• Vivaldi Translator

@Ayespy Yes! I noticed this a long time ago but reported on February 1 (VB-25454). It seems like the developers could not reproduce it.

• @RammsteinAM said in Popup Thumbnails of Tab Stack don't disappear if switch between tabs by scrolling:

Now you have already scrolled up and the desired left tab has become active. But the thumbnails are still there. Why? How this can make sense? I don't understand, sorry.

I hear what you're saying, but if you have Popup Thumbnails enabled and you hover a tab-stack that's what supposed to happen. You performed the action used to select another tab within that stack. If you then proceed to do another action (scrolling tabs) without completing the first action that you already initiated, the previews remain open, waiting for your command.

If, instead, you use the RMB mousewheel scroll, there is no conflict. The Tab Stack Previews are not opened for selection. Or, if you hover a tab outside the stack and scroll, there is no problem. There is only a problem if you hover a tab stack because that action expects you to select a tab from the previews. Surely, with more than a few tabs in a stack, it's easier to pick one than to scroll through them all to find the one that you want?

• Vivaldi Translator

@Pesala said in Popup Thumbnails of Tab Stack don't disappear if switch between tabs by scrolling:

If, instead, you use the RMB mousewheel scroll, there is no conflict. The Tab Stack Previews are not opened for selection.

RMB + Scroll as well as Alt + scroll is not an alternative to Mouse hover + Scroll, because if you use "Cycle in recently used order" then RMB/Alt + Scroll will cycle tabs in recently used order, but Mouse hover + Scroll will cycle in tab order. :slight_smile:

As I generally prefer to cycle tabs in recently used order, Mouse hover + Scroll gives me extra opportunity to cycle tabs in their order without changing settings.

Or, if you hover a tab outside the stack and scroll, there is no problem. There is only a problem if you hover a tab stack because that action expects you to select a tab from the previews.

Yes I know. But I always intuitively hover the stack.
    I'm not sure what Vivaldi expects from me :D , but I think most users who use Mouse hover + Scroll to switch tabs, do not expect to see open thumbnails after the mouse moved out and page has been focused.

Surely, with more than a few tabs in a stack, it's easier to pick one than to scroll through them all to find the one that you want?

Sometimes I have many tabs in one stack and I need to view them all from first to last. In this case I can't use RMB + Scroll or Alt + scroll (because recently used order can be very different). I also can't do that manually, because from the thumbnails it is almost impossible to understand which tab is active (they can have similar images and the active tab's thumbnail is not highlighted somehow).

• @RammsteinAM: OK - bug is reopened and has been confirmed by more than one tester. (Tho Feb 1 is not "a long time ago" in bugspeak - more like "the blink of an eye.") It will be seen to in due course.

• Vivaldi Translator

@Ayespy Great!

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.