History improvements – Vivaldi Browser snapshot 1.8.770.32

• @JuniorSilva30 said in History improvements – Vivaldi Browser snapshot 1.8.770.32:

This issue has not yet been resolved. ☺ - Comment

Bug reported! I hope they resolve before the release of the stable version. ☺ - VB-26682

• @YamiryuuZero
    That name check will be CCleaner devs responsibility. Better bug them.
    I don't think they're ignoring, they do support to check Vivaldi as you said.

• The address box at the top of the screen is still severely lagging. It started with the previous release and continues in this one. When you load Vivaldi, it takes about 10 seconds for it to go "active" and allow you to use it.

• In this version(1.8.770.32), I can't use the "speed dial2" extension, the new page is blank, can not display the dial content, only to return to the previous version(1.8.770.25).

• @alnhny said in History improvements – Vivaldi Browser snapshot 1.8.770.32:

speed dial2

I believe for that Speed Dial 2, you'll need to set Vivaldi New Tab Page and or Home Page to;
    chrome-extension://jpfpebmajhhopeonhlcgidhclcccjcik/newtab.html

Note:
    I only test it as far as opening in new tab.

Note for everyone:
    Some of you probably will need to start work around your chosen "New Tab Page" extensions like that;
    chrome-extension://(extension ID)/(if there's somethin more) like for Speed Dial 2 above.

@alnhny: This is not a bug, but a feature. Vivaldi has prevented chrome:newpage or vivaldi:newpage from displaying the Chromium "new page" which has no relationship to Vivaldi or its stored data. That has broken a number of "Speed Dial" extensions. They are working on a workaround right now, with will still allow these extensions to work.

• @ayespy said:

@alnhny: This is not a bug, but a feature. Vivaldi has prevented chrome:newpage or vivaldi:newpage from displaying the Chromium "new page" which has no relationship to Vivaldi or its stored data. That has broken a number of "Speed Dial" extensions. They are working on a workaround right now, with will still allow these extensions to work.

How can I continue to use the "speed dial2" extension?

• @dleon said:

@alnhny said in History improvements – Vivaldi Browser snapshot 1.8.770.32:

speed dial2

I believe for that Speed Dial 2, you'll need to set Vivaldi New Tab Page and or Home Page to;
    chrome-extension://jpfpebmajhhopeonhlcgidhclcccjcik/newtab.html

Note: I only test it as far as opening in new tab.

Not work.

• @alnhny
    Speed Dial 2
    0_1489817782038_speed_dial_2_01.png

Setting:
    0_1489817789876_speed_dial_2_02.png

You really use this one, right?
    0_1489817825387_speed_dial_2_03.png

• Vivaldi Translator

In my experience some parts of the settings can be overwhelming.
    With a bit of reordering and grouping, things could be presented with more clarity.

• Settings - Keyboard - View
      -- Fullscreen Mode and Toggle UI represent two stages of UI-mode. Keep together, consider position in list.
      -- On/off settings together: Bookmarks bar, Menu (position), Status bar, Tab bar, Address bar, Panel
      -- Panels together (already done)
      -- Zoom together (already done)
      0_1489821333215_Afbeelding 017.png

• @dleon: How to disable thumbnail picture in bookmarks?

• @lamarca: OK!
    How to disable thumbnail picture in bookmarks?

@TbGbe If that's the case, then why mentioning it in this Snapshot's changelog instead of the 1.8 Stable's changelog? Besides, I don't see any reason for the Snapshots to not to have such tab with an introduction to new features (with - at least - a simple list with reference to the settings, so that you might enable/disable those new features right away, with few clicks)...

• @s_pereira
    Hiding them are possible with custom userstyle.
    Info for custom.css:
    https://forum.vivaldi.net/post/79101

And put this;

/* Hiding thumbnail in Bookmark Panel & Manager */
    .manager-editor .preview {
        display: none !important;
    }

That will hide thumbnail from both Bookmark Panel & Manager.

But stopping browser to fetch thumbnails is not possible by user. It's Chromium internal.

• “Open action in document context menu is the first menu item (VB-26563)" - That actually was a superb thing - what was wrong about it being the first menu item? That was so great! I always waited for this feature, and then it even was in first position, having a mouse click distance as small as possible! It was a sheer delight! Why did you change that?

• Thank you very much for Vivaldi and this update.

• Btw., where can i look up something like "VB-26563"? Where ist the bug tracker?

• Please add the video popout feature.

• @pafflick said in History improvements – Vivaldi Browser snapshot 1.8.770.32:

If that's the case, then why mentioning it in this Snapshot's changelog instead of the 1.8 Stable's changelog?

Because the "bug" to implement it has now been closed, in this snapshot.

Besides, I don't see any reason for the Snapshots to not to have such tab with an introduction to new features (with - at least - a simple list with reference to the settings, so that you might enable/disable those new features right away, with few clicks)...

Agreed, but (maybe) populating the tab with the information would be extra workload for every snapshot release?

I'm just guessing here, perhaps they intend to test it in future snapshots - but now we're getting close to 1.8, so maybe not.

• I really like the thumbnails in the bookmarks, and even more I like the "Always show details in the bookmark panel" behavior. Thanks for that!

Now maybe User Interface reaction speed of the most frequently used things would be high priority?
    I just installed the newest otter browser and (even with the tab thumbnail in tab bar option enabled) it opens a new tab much quicker than vivaldi on my laptop (below 0,5 seconds vs >1,5 sec).
    Would it be possible to keep an already preloaded "new tab" in the ram in order to increase the subjective User Interface responsiveness of this very often used function?

(I presume a background preloaded speed dial etc tab would use some ram, but not too much cpu.)

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.