Custom background image causes huge lags/freezes

• Hello,
    i just started using Vivaldi and today i wanted to use a custom background image for the start page.
    However, this makes my browser extremely slow. It takes about 6s to open a new tab and even more when i open the start page.
    The browser also freezes randomly.
    Removing the custom background image makes all of these problems vanish.

I tried using a .jpg and a .png file of rather high resolution (1920 x 1080).
    When i use low res images, it does not lag as badly but still noticeable.

Can someone look into this?
    My computer is really fast (SSD, 8 Core CPU, last generation gpu and everything is up-to-date).
    If you need more information or some kind of logfile, just tell me.

Thanks,
    MZ

• @Spackolatius
    I'm on Linux so spare me for this part.

I test JPG file with 4000x2588 pixel (1.74 MB), and Vivaldi startpage still just open instantly.
    Testing same file same pixel size but in PNG (24.78 MB), yep, it spike Vivaldi every startpage open. Confirmed.

P.S: Does Vivaldi startpage only support JPEG, GIF, PNG, WEBP? Where's WEBM?

• The smaller the image size the less it will influence the speed of the opening of a guide.
    I usually use at the maximum image of 150KB.
    Image up to 2MB still works well here, but it gets a bit slow to open a new tab, but it's not a problem for me. :relaxed:

• I use a small tiled image.

• @Spackolatius Can you tell us the size of the 000xxx.log (xxx will be some number) file on your computer? If you installed Vivaldi with the default settings, the file should be located under the following path: %localappdata%\Vivaldi\User Data\Default\Local App Settings\mpognobbkildjkofajifpdfhcoklimli\.
    You can check the location of your User Data folder on the "About" page (Menu > Help > About, or go to vivaldi://about). Perhaps it's corrupted on your computer and has an enormous size?

For me it looks like this:
    Vivaldi 1.7.735.46 with 1,14 MB PNG background, the log file weighs 3,36 MB.
    Vivaldi 1.8.770.25 with 233 KB JPG background, the log file weighs 2,53 MB.
    Both open new tabs instantaneously (200-300 ms).

Vivaldi stores the background image in base64 format in the aforementioned log file. The file is updated after closing Vivaldi, so once you setup a background, try restarting the browser first and then check the file's size.

You might also try refreshing your profile temporarily to see if the issue persists.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.