Adobe Players Questions

• I have all this software installed, the latest versions, see screenshots.
    Simple question (maybe not so simple answer): Is this a good idea if I am only interested in streaming YouTube videos without any pauses or hicc-ups?
    What are the advantages or disadvantages?

0_1489317328184_Shockwave Player.jpg

0_1489317348760_Disable YouTube HTML5 Player.jpg

• @Dietrich said in Adobe Players Questions:

I have all this software installed, the latest versions, see screenshots.
    Simple question (maybe not so simple answer): Is this a good idea if I am only interested in streaming YouTube videos without any pauses or hicc-ups?
    What are the advantages or disadvantages?

0_1489317328184_Shockwave Player.jpg

0_1489317348760_Disable YouTube HTML5 Player.jpg

When trying to play this video, with "Disable YouTube HTML5 Player" enabled in Extensions, I was unable to play it.
    When unchecked I was able to play the video again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-jP38If6CA

Apparently some videos are made for HTML5 and others for flash.

0_1489318674954_HTML5 disabled.jpg

• Youtube doesn't use flash anymore, everything there is using html5. It's one of the main reasons I had to stop using opera12

• @Dietrich
    None of those matters to YouTube experiences. So, no advantages or disadvantages.

YouTube default to HTML5 which in turn for Video use webm format, if fail it try h264, fail again it try PPAPI Flash for flv.
    For Audio, they usually already supported by default by OS, like MP3.

Speaking of stutter Video.
    That webm still doesn't have hardware acceleration, unlike h264. In Linux, I also sometime got the hiccup with that format. I use h264ify extension (Chrome & Firefox avaiable) to force YouTube play the h264 format.

Also (people, correct me if I'm wrong) that webm still one of reasons why YouTube is battery drainer, especially in Mac?

• Webm (VP8 and VP9) have hw accelerated support from Windows 10, not in older versions.

• @dLeon

Thanks. I installed h264ify
    Let's see if that is an improvement.
    I am always open for improvements in Windows 10 and YouTube.

0_1489319727964_h264.jpg

• @iAN-CooG

Now it is getting interesting: Should I use VP8 and VP9 or H264?

• I've no idea what's better on your system, I'm on win7
    For me YT in Vivaldi even works better with HW accelerated video decoding disabled even if I have a nvidia card.

• @Dietrich
    VP8/VP9 just another format like h264.
    Doesn't hurt to test the h264.

Sorry about last post I mix up with one thing.
    webm is a container like mp4, avi, mkv or ogm. These container could contain any/some formats.
    VP8/VP9 & h264are video format.

• @iAN-CooG

I am using H264 now and so far so good, but to be honest, I don't see any difference.
    Maybe it's time for you to install Windows 10?
    I've been using it ever since it came out and I prefer it to Windows 7 any time.

• I'd rather format my hd and install linux than replacing 7 with 10.

• @iAN-CooG

Why?

• @Dietrich said in Adobe Players Questions:

@iAN-CooG

Why?

I live in China and most Chinese still use Windows 7 while most offices even still use Windows XP!
    It's not that it's not available, but it's like they don't know it, so they don't like it.
    I have been using almost all Windows versions and Windows 10 is definitely the best IMO.
    BTW, I installed Linux once and it drove me crazy! After one hour I formatted my harddisk. NEVER AGAIN!

• @Dietrich
    :grin:

Yeah, against all Linux fanboys/girls comments.
    As Linux user my self, I won't even recommend any Linux distro to people who use computer for "normal" things.

Sure Linux distro is easy today (they said). But if something does break, good luck in learning things.

• No forums will welcome you if you "really newbie". At least one person will completely scold you with "beautiful" English that even Hollywood don't want to use.
    • Manuals basically only references to other multiple places to random planets. Those too will points you to every other directions. After all of that, you realize, this manual didn't even conform current version of (say) application.
    • Fix is not even close to "fix". It's a result of trial of error throwing rock & see if it burn or drown.
    • etc.

There's occasions I feel really jealous to Windows & Mac users.

Never the less, today Linux/Debian meet my need, it just that.
    I'm not MMO gamer any more or any offline gamer.
    And I'm the type actually like the "tortures" I mentioned above. Maybe I'm an masochist.

• @dLeon

Stop being a masochist and do yourself a favor:

Install Classic Shell first:

http://www.classicshell.net/downloads/

Download the latest version of Windows 10 and immediately after you have installed it, install Classic Shell.

After that, Windows 10 looks like the familiar Windows 7 or 8.
    Of course there are differences but at least everything is lot easier to find.

• @Dietrich
    I don't leave Windows completely because the looks nor I hate it (or its corporation). I like all OS, I like computer actually. I just feel can't do much in Windows anymore.

I don't care about opensource vs proprietary. I will use the tools I could use & fix or work around it if I got problems. :smile:
    I find most of my needs in Linux.

It will be as long as Romance of Three Kingdoms stories if I need to explain why I completely move to Linux.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.