Manage 3D Settings for Google Chrome (and Vivaldi?)

• Turning Hardware Acceleration on or off in Chrome doesn't make much noticeable difference for me. YouTube videos sometimes keep pausing in both settings, depending on many variables.
    I have a high-end system and as far as my Video card is concerned:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    I am able to play all new- demanding games with all video settings maxed out at about 60-120 FPS.

So I was wondering if changing some settings in the NVIDIA "Manage 3D Settings for Google Chrome" would improve things?
    I see improvements in games, so why wouldn't that work here?
    Google Chrome can be selected here and I configured the same settings as I usually do for games.
    Any thoughts about this?

0_1488692070569_Manage 3D Settings for Google Chrome.jpg

@Dietrich: Thoughts - Chromium and Chrome do not have the same compatibilities with hardware. Chrome has a number of Google-supplied tweaks and patches which make it more compatible with almost any/all cards. So what works for Chrome may not work for Chromium. Then again, it may.

Vivaldi is built on Chromium. Not only that, it doesn't have all the built-in codecs that Chrome does, because Vivaldi cannot afford the licensing. Hence, Vivaldi tries to rely on codecs that are already onboard/built-into operating systems, or installable for free by users. So there's that difference. Again, however, depending on your hardware, Chrome-style adjustments may still work.

TO MY KNOWLEDGE, Vivaldi does no more with 3D settings than Chromium does, AND, because of the separate and unrelated visual layer (the Vivaldi UI), 3D settings may affect nothing, or may even cause adverse effects.

So - with these considerations known, why not try it? If it has bas side effects, you can revert the settings. If it helps you at all, we may have learned something.

• @Ayespy

I will surely give it a try over a longer period of time.
    How about installing Codecs, like K-Lite Codec Pack 12.9.5?

Or does this do more harm than good?
    What is your experience?

• @Dietrich

One more thing:
    There is no need to install Adobe Flash Player in Chrome, as it is already built in.
    For Vivaldi however, you can download it separately and Vivaldi is recognized as web-browser.
    I have been reading on the Internet and it was said that it should be downloaded separately for best results, which I just did.

https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?no_redirect

0_1488703969483_Adobe Flash Player for Vivaldi.jpg

• @Dietrich said in Manage 3D Settings for Google Chrome (and Vivaldi?):

Turning Hardware Acceleration on or off in Chrome doesn't make much noticeable difference for me. YouTube videos sometimes keep pausing in both settings, depending on many variables.
    I have a high-end system and as far as my Video card is concerned:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    I am able to play all new- demanding games with all video settings maxed out at about 60-120 FPS.

So I was wondering if changing some settings in the NVIDIA "Manage 3D Settings for Google Chrome" would improve things?
    I see improvements in games, so why wouldn't that work here?
    Google Chrome can be selected here and I configured the same settings as I usually do for games.
    Any thoughts about this?

0_1488692070569_Manage 3D Settings for Google Chrome.jpg

Or select Vivaldi:

0_1488712354850_Vivaldi.jpg

One more thing:
    There is no need to install Adobe Flash Player in Chrome, as it is already built in.
    For Vivaldi however, you can download it separately and Vivaldi is recognized as web-browser.

It seems you missed the Vivaldi article stating separate installation is needed .
    https://help.vivaldi.com/article/install-flash-player-for-vivaldi/

• @TbGbe

Yes, but how many articles does one have to go through before Vivaldi works properly?
    There should have been a message that I need Flash Player as is the case in other browsers that don't have it built in.
    I also have Chrome installed and Vivaldi works even without the stand-alone Flash Player.
    But probably it works better now.

• @Dietrich
    When Chrome installed, remember, Chrome will put Flash plugin to user Chrome profile & update it regularly. Vivaldi, Opera or any Chromium based browser just look there first then look other places if it fail.

I'm afraid I'm not a good person to ask concerning experience with video, because it has always "just worked" for me with Vivaldi on Win10, Win7, and Mint 18.1. I have studiously avoided work-arounds and 3rd-party fixes and after-market installs.

A few months back, I did run some experiments to help the developers resolve a non-working Widevine plugin on Windows7, and when I used to have 32-bit Linux on a backup machine that wouldn't play video, I just didn't play video on it. But there are users here with MUCH more experience fixing it than I have.

@TbGbe

There should have been a message that I need Flash Player as is the case in other browsers that don't have it built in.
    I also have Chrome installed and Vivaldi works even without the stand-alone Flash Player.
    But probably it works better now.

I always thought there was a message when Flash was not installed, but it was in the early days that I didn't have it. Best I can remember, it gave a message similar to Firefox.
    I have never had Chrome installed, so I never had their flash available (maybe that made a difference).

Of course, things are different now that many sites have switched away from Flash to HTML5; now we have the same "problems" with missing codecs :grin:

• @TbGbe
    The missing codecs message provided by the site not the browsers.
    Probably these days some web authors feel that's message not necessary, well what ever the reason is.

The hardest probably video/audio codecs. Most of time it just doesn't play without any mundane messages.

• Çok teşekkür ederiz Türkiye den selamlar.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.