Remove the "Open link" contextual command

• When I want to open a link in the same tab, I just click it. When right-clicking a link, I'm looking for other commands like "Open in new tab" (and I expect the first command to be this one). Thus, Chrome contextual menu does not include the "Open link" command.

• @dchiner This command is already there in rightclick menu (although it ain't the first entry)- or did I somehow misunderstood you?
    0_1488528462605_open in new tab.png

Another option would be to hold down "Shift" while clicking a link to show it directly in a new tab or to press middle mouse button to open it in a new background tab

• Hi @zaibon

The command is absolutely useless and confusing for users expecting the first command to be "Open in new tab" (like in Chrome, Firefox, Edge, etc.).

Thanks (:

@dchiner said in Remove the "Open link" contextual command:

The command is absolutely useless and confusing for users expecting the first command to be "Open in new tab" (like in Chrome, Firefox, Edge, etc.).

For you it is useless.
    For Opera 12 users such entry was in contextual menu. Useless?
    Vivaldi try to implement good and well-known features from older browsers an invent new ones.

Open Link means: always open link in current tab, independent from link target or Javascript handler.

• @dchiner said in Remove the "Open link" contextual command:

The command is absolutely useless

Not quite, since some link targets are set to open a new window, which Open Link will override and open the link in the current tab. That will not happen if you just click the link.

• It's not useless at all, as there are many times links which are redirecting to new tab, the new option forces to open them in the same tab.
    It's true that it would be better if it's customizable, that will come for sure.

• @Gwen-Dragon

For you it is useless.

The most common usage of the link contextual menu is to "Open in a new tab". Is the option I automatically expect to be in the first position of the menu.

@Pesala

Not quite, since some link targets are set to open a new window, which Open Link will override and open the link in the current tab. That will not happen if you just click the link.

Ok then. Just rename this command as "Open in current tab" to clarify (and move it to the second position).

Thanks again.

• @dchiner You may be migrating to Vivaldi from other browsers, but many here are migrating from Opera 12.17. It is the declared mission of Jon to develop a browser for previous users of the Old Opera, who were disappointed by the changes in the new Opera 15 (it's now up to version 43 and we still don't want it).

This is the default link context menu in Opera 12.17:

0_1488531515702_Opera Link Context Menu.png

Personally, I don't use the link context menu very often, and have customised most of the menus to suit the way that I work. Customisation will come in due course. There is no benefit in renaming or rearranging the default menus because you can never please everyone.

@dchiner said in Remove the "Open link" contextual command:

Just rename this command as "Open in current tab" to clarify (and move it to the second position).

Please add your request to https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/14250/feature-requests-for-1-8-1-9/630

• Ok @Pesala (:

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.