Vivaldi freezes for a short time during loading content

• I am facing this issue for a while now and it is quite annoying. When I try to load some pages (random pages), the loading indicators displays "0 bytes 0/0" and nothing happens for 0 to 5 secs. It does not happen on all pages but still quite frequent.

I use a cable for internet with a decent speed, I have 8GB RAM, a i5 processor and a GT705 videocard. I am running the latest version of vivaldi.I have malwarebytes 3.0 and the installed add-ons are: Ghostery, Stylish and HTTPS everwhere.

Is there somebody who can help me or who is facing the same issue?

And without running a extension? Is it faster?

• I just did some tests and without extensions enabled, it is not really faster. You can almost not notice it. How important is HTTPS everwhere?

Every malware or antivirus scanner can slowdown the traffic.

I disabled my antivirus scan for SSL connections, that was a speed-up on my Windows PC.

• @Gwen-Dragon I can't remember I had a similar issue on Opera. I have malwarebytes so I don't have an add-on installed for malwarebytes.

@Vincent90 said in Vivaldi freezes for a short time during loading content:

I can't remember I had a similar issue on Opera.

I never get such freezes with Vivaldi and i am testing much with developer versions on Windows.

• @Gwen-Dragon So do you think one off the add-ons is causing the issue? Ghostery can take up lots of ram (it once reached the 400mb) and HTTPS everywhere can cause websites to not function properly. Maybe an idea to disable HTTPS everywhere and Ghostery for a while and see how it works?

@Vincent90 said in Vivaldi freezes for a short time during loading content:

Maybe an idea to disable HTTPS everywhere and Ghostery for a while and see how it works?

Correct. That's what i would do for testing.
    Some Extensions check all links you open if they may be bad malware URLs or blocked. That sometimes is done sending the URL or domain to a external server. You can imagine such traffic slows down browsing.

Extensions can influence each other, and if not programmed correctly they may reduce performance. I remember i had such issues in the past with with Adguard or Adblock or Stylish. I removed them.

• I'm getting those freezes regularly (every couple of hours of use), but not specific to any website (same page that freezes would cause no problem next time). It would freeze from 2 or 3 minutes up to indefinitely (>1h, at which time I chose to reboot). Mostly annoyingly, I haven't found a way to reliably reproduce the problem.

The freeze is always accompanied by peak disk activity (the computer's disk activity LED stays lit without breaks), but I'm not sure whether it's plain read/write, memory swap, or some other I/O issue (SysInternal's Process Explorer records high, but no where near 100% disk activity by some Vivaldi thread, but since ProcExp is gotten frozen itself, its recording may not be that reliable). It's almost certainly unrelated to CPU , and mostly likely to GPU as well.

My system is Windows 10.0.14393, Vivaldi 1.7.735.46 (Stable channel) (64-bit). I did have the same problem with the previous version of Vivaldi as well. I don't have any of the add-ons the original poster has, but I do have uBlock Origin and SwitchyOmega, both of which are constantly parsing long lists of regular expressions.

In any case, it seems that Vivaldi lacks the kind of freeze protection Chrome has (which is different from the crash protection it also has). When a process freezes there, the Chrome process manager steps in and offer to either terminate the process or wait further. It would be a very good idea to add this to Vivaldi as well.

• Vivaldi Team

I remember seeing this myself some time back, but it hasn't been happening for a long time now. Sadly I can't say how I resolved it as I did nothing (afaik). What you could do is check with a clean profile / check the snapshot if that works any better for you? Maybe there is a setting you use that causes it.

• @Aronand As I've mentioned, I've made some effort to narrow down the problem, but wasn't able to do so. I use Vivaldi for work and don't have the time to do clean-room testing. Using a new profile or disabling the two add-ons I've mentioned would reduce productivity so much that I'd stop using Vivaldi and use Firefox or Chrome instead.

What I might be willing to do is to use a debug version that produces an useful log I can send to you. That will certainly catch the freeze in the act.

• I forgot to mention: At first I wasn't sure it was Vivaldi that caused the freezes - there're always a lot of programs running on my computer, and most are updated regularly, which might introduce bugs. Since I knew it was related to disk activity, I ran an extensive test of my HD over the weekend, and no error was found. I also made sure to bring all my device drivers to the newest stand, which didn't help either.

Meanwhile I've becoming confident that Vivaldi is the culprit (though possibly in conjunction with some other software) because the freezes always happen when I open some new tabs in Vivaldi, no matter what else is going on on the computer.

• Vivaldi Translator

@henrypijames
    While the problems so far happen in Windows. I could reliably produce all of them in my Linux system, when I happen to use unreliable SSH tunneling.

It's like Vivaldi detect network down or connection is really slow while still trying to load a page. System resources will also spike to 100% if the page in question contained a lot of contents or heavy layered multimedia (Flash games enter here).
    In mean time, Vivaldi or even my Chromium will just freeze for sometime until it really gave up if the network actually unreachable.

What I learned so far, it's Chromium issue. It's a rare issue. And Chromium devs said it's already fixed.
    Chrome freezes when Windows loses Internet connection

Opera browser seem overcome this by lowering network detection time. Too low actually, I see that network unreachable page or its related cousins more in that browser.

For those who didn't do like I did (unreliable SSH tunneling), the only I can think of, there's a bottle neck in your connection. Chromium just detect that nicely.

• @dLeon You're probably right about the cause of the issue, since I use SwitchyOmega to tunnel some of the network connections. But you're wrong about it being purely a Chromium issue, because before switching to Vivaldi, I was using Chrome, and Chrome never, ever froze for minutes at a time (it still doesn't - I still use Chrome on the side and as the main browser on other computers).

At minimum, Chrome can detect and handle its freezes much better than Vivaldi. And that's what I'd like to see in Vivaldi, because even if this issue gets resolved, there will be future network issues that may cause the same result. An internal freeze handling routine is always a good idea.

• Vivaldi Translator

@henrypijames
    Fair enough.

Understand able, every system has different settings & hardware.
    While Chromium/Chrome never have this problem on your system, it does on mine.

I don't recall ever read/study about that Chromium/Chrome freeze handling.
    No, don't tell me. It's my homework.

• I am getting freezes once in a while. I can't point to something special as it sometimes happen when a page has been fully loaded. It may freeze for five seconds or once in a while 60 seconds. It doesn't happen very often, but often enough to be irritated when it happens(perhaps once every day). I do not have HTTPS Everywhere, Ghostery and Stylish installed.

• @dLeon It occured to me that your theory of what's going on doesn't explain why Vivaldi would cause a disk access jam for minutes or even hours, if there is only something wrong with network IO. None of the website I've visited had "heavy layered multimedia", certainly nothing that explains near-blockage of a modern hard disk on a modern computer.

• Vivaldi Translator

@henrypijames
    I've got no more idea what will cause the jam. Network problem is the only I have in all OS.
    In all OS, except firewall (software/routers) I don't use any anti somethings.
    I also doesn't use Ads/Script blockers. I do have them, but I use them to tailored my own blocker (no subscriptions).

Like I mentioned, sometimes I use SSH tunneling. With proxychains(-ng), I reliably could produce the stall on my system. Don't ask about TOR :sweat:.
    These last few days I stop using proxychains(-ng) & use Chromium ----proxy-server="*" --host-resolver-rules="*" instead. Out my curiosity, Vivaldi, Chromium, & Opera speed up in everything. Plus an un-explain fact with that combo, Chromium based browsers doesn't leak Flash IP (it doesn't give it at all a.k.a empty), while Firefox proxy settings does.

I turn off some of Chromium settings in any OS;
    (I don't recommend nor suggest it, just my own preference)

• Continue running background apps when Vivaldi closed. Known to me to stall Chromium based browsers when quit, if not fail at all.
    • Prediction services. When I still have tunneling problem this also cause stall for me.
    • Navigation Error resolver. I never could tell the difference.
    • Safe Browsing. I use other methods.
    • Search suggestions. 10:10 don't know what I want anyway.

I do however, opt-in to turn on "Diagnostic reports" in any browsers. It's the only way I could cooperate with the devs. Especially to inform them that my darn old systems with small RAM still in use.

Basically I don't have stall/jam problems anymore with Vivaldi or any Chromium based browsers. What left is Firefox, which occasionally spike to 90%+ CPU without reasons & one empty tab.

• @dLeon I'm not saying you were wrong about the cause - I think your theory is right, but incomplete. It seems that Chromium and/or Vivaldi handles network IO in certain situations so baldly that it triggers massive problems in disk IO. That should definitely not happen.

If that's true, we need all of the following:

1. Fix of the network IO problem;
    2. Some mechanism to contain future network IO problems;
    3. Some mechanism to isolate and protect disk IO from network IO (and other) areas;
    4. Some mechanism to contain future disk IO problems.

• Vivaldi Translator

@henrypijames
    Raising available sockets limit from Chromium defacto 6 (closed issue) cross my mind.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.