Question: Is Vivaldi safe from Google's tracking?

• Hello, I am concerned that Vivaldi may be vulnerable to Google's tracking because it is based on Chromium. I am very concerned about security on Vivaldi and wanted to know if it was susceptible.

• @BlazeKing252: Google's tracking is built into Chrome, not Chromium. Yes, Vivaldi is safe from Google tracking.

• @BlazeKing252 said in Question: Is Vivaldi safe from Google's tracking?:

Google's tracking because it is based on Chromium

Not quite. Chromium is open source (not Google).

Google use the Chromium source to build Chrome (and add in their "interesting" stuff).

Vivaldi use the Chromium source to build Vivaldi (and add OUR "interesting" stuff).

:grinning:

• @tbgbe Is this "intresting" stuff tracking me?

• Check what a webpage knows about you and adjust the browser accordingly http://webkay.robinlinus.com/

or

https://browserprint.info/

• Here is what Pettern, a Vivaldi developer, said here in the Vivaldi subreddit:

No, we do not share any data with Google knowingly (except for search and search suggestions). We use the Chromium code base and there are some "call home" for various things there, but we believe we have plugged all those holes. If we missed something, it would be a bug.

And if you check the Vivaldi privacy policy, it says:

Vivaldi integrates the Safe browsing API from Google, which checks the site you are visiting against a master list of known suspected phishing and malware sites. This feature can be turned off in the Privacy settings (Settings > Privacy > Privacy).

I assume that this is the tracking that is being referred to when Pettern said there are some "call home" for various things there. Since he said "various things" I'm thinking there's more than just this, and if so, then what else?

bjorgvin from the Vivaldi team confirmed here that some other stuff could be cert validation and security features, some of which is valuable, and that is bundled in with Chromium, for those who think Chromium is un-Googled from the start.

I'm not sure what other stuff is being sent to Google, but I also don't like anything at all being sent. It looked like there was some impression that they might do away with all those API's, but there's no confirmation to be sure of on that. It'd be nice to get that confirmation, and to know if Vivaldi will be stripping those parts of Chromium to replace with their own, or if they'll fork Chromium altogether.

I'd also like to know if some of the security stuff like "Google Phishing and Malware Protection" in the Vivaldi settings is even worth keeping on. I have it on just in case, but would having uBlock Origin be enough? Then again, even if I disabled it, I don't think I'd be disabling every single connection to Google, as there's also the safe browsing API, etc.

• Google's tracking is mostly through ads, and any browser which doesn't block Google ads is susceptible to that. Google (and other search engines) will record any phishing sites or links to known malware they find, the "Google phishing and malware protection" is just checking whether the site you are visiting is on that list. Your choice on that one - Opera uses Yandex, but it's essentially the same thing.

• @sgunhouse I use DDG, but I've seen the red malware page that I believe is brought up by Google's phishing and malware protection once or twice in the past. Do you think uBlock Origin would detect it if Google's phishing and malware protection was disabled? I don't want to be tracked by Google, but I also want to feel secure while browsing.

• @d0j0p said in Question: Is Vivaldi safe from Google's tracking?:

@sgunhouse I use DDG, but I've seen the red malware page that I believe is brought up by Google's phishing and malware protection once or twice in the past. Do you think uBlock Origin would detect it if Google's phishing and malware protection was disabled? I don't want to be tracked by Google, but I also want to feel secure while browsing.

Any company whose product you use to perform an online safety-check of URLs to which you browse, inherently has the capability of logging at least your inquired URL, your IP, and your browser user-agent details... hence, that company could collate and market that data to 3rd parties in whatever manner it chooses. Any company whose product performs URL safety-checking locally from a periodically downloaded data list will suffer variable latency concerns (is their downloaded safety data up-to-date?) and limited coverage (there are a LOT of URLs out there and a complete database file size could be quite large). There's a tradeoff between privacy and performance, as there always is when security/privacy are involved. Only you can decide what you need the most - and whom can be most trusted.

Personally, I don't employ browser URL safety-checking. Instead, I normally use a robust, periodically-updated hosts file (MVPS) plus the Ghostery extension to minimize access to malicious sites and the all-too-chronic tracking. If I'm browsing in harm's way for various reasons, I also employ the SafeScript extension in Vivaldi (or NoScript in Firefox) to kill Javascripting at visited sites, which largely kills off any drive-by risks - but it also breaks a lot of typical site functionality, so you have to use wisdom and be willing to tinker with extension settings for a new site.

• Dear Vivaldi - Devs, having Vivaldi/1.93.955.14 as a user agent identification is ideal for fingerprinting. You could do without the version number and only turn on for debugging.

• @rigo said in Question: Is Vivaldi safe from Google's tracking?:

Dear Vivaldi - Devs, having Vivaldi/1.93.955.14 as a user agent identification is ideal for fingerprinting.

Please report a privacy issue.

If you found a bug, please report the issue to the developers to fix it.

How to do a bugreport for Vivaldi
    Report each bug seperately at https://vivaldi.com/bugreport/
    Describe the issue as precise as you can.
    Add some information about extensions you use.
    Add information about the operating system and version you use.
    If you have problems with video or audio give us information about your installed codecs and graphics card/GPU.
    Add a exact link to the page where the issue comes up and can be tested.
    After reporting the issue, you will receive a confirmation mail from the bugtracker.
    In a reply to this mail you can add more information and files (like screenshots or testcases) as attachments and it will be added automatically to bug report.
    If you have questions about the bug please ask in forum first and do not forget to post the VB-XXXXX bug number (you can find it in confirmation mail).

Thanks in advance for helping us to make Vivaldi better!

• @gwen-dragon Done, not sure it was right as I used the plain bug report system

• I am a first time user Vivaldi web browser. Never used it before. But trying to get some better ideas on this.

• I think never suppose everything were safe, as long as it come from Google.

• @catweazle you are referring to a link from 2015.

Also the article states:
    "This morning Mozilla released security updates that fix the vulnerability. All Firefox users are urged to update to Firefox 39.0.3. The fix has also been shipped in Firefox ESR 38.1.1."

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.