Will too many extensions slow down my browser?

• Do they effect performance at all?
    Currently I have ABP, Ublock, LastPass, Ghostery, Evernote Web Clipper and PrintFriendly.

Thanks!

• Every extension require to be run at some point, if not continuously, so yes, they use some CPU process each.
    ABP is redundant, and heavier on CPU than uBO, if you also use uBlock Origin you can safely remove ABP as uBO can use the same lists from ABP and more. I can't tell anything about the others you listed as I don't use them.

• Vivaldi Translator

@rshea
    As rule of thumb.

• Any extensions that do page scanning will need big resources. Blocker is good example.
    • Any extensions that do update in the background also need significant resources, if not wake your computer from sleep.

Close to @iAN-CooG said.
    ABP, uBlock, & Ghostery (could be set) do exactly same things. It a complete waste of resources. Just choose one.

Extensions like LassPass will wake up & call home if it see site with input box.

Evernote & PrintFriendly probably only wake up on demand.

• @dLeon

I'm afraid I have to disagree.
    In principle they should be doing the same things, but I have noticed slight differences.
    I use AdBlock and Ghostery.
    Both great programs.
    But when I disabled AdBlock, the annoying short adds at the beginning of a YouTube video appeared again, so I immediately turned it on again.
    And both programs sometimes block different adds, just look ate the numbers that it blocked in each program.

0_1488034480511_Extensions.jpg

• @Dietrich said in Will too many extensions slow down my browser?:

@dLeon

In principle they should be doing the same things, but I have noticed slight differences.
    Both great programs.
    But when I disabled AdBlock, the annoying short adds at the beginning of a YouTube video appeared again, so I immediately turned it on again.
    And both programs sometimes block different adds, just look at the numbers that it blocked in each program.

• Vivaldi Translator

@Dietrich
    You use a different extensions but could be identical depend to how you use your AdBlock.

Ghostery focus to block tracking only, either it's in a form of ads or something else.

For Ads Blocker like AdBlock, ABP or uBlock0, they're dependant to subscriptions you choose. With exception to uBlock0, you could easily tailor your own block with this extension.
    If you only subscribe to ads blocker subscription, example Easylist. Then yes, Ads blocker only block ads.

You can subscribes to a bunch of of list that block tracking, one example is EasyPrivacy. EasyPrivacy is a large list. Other subscriptions also available like Disconnect or the usually over kill Fanboy’s Enhanced Tracking List.
    If this the case, then it make extension Ghostery redundant.

Other than common Ads & Tracking subscriptions there are others types of subscriptions too like malware blockers, spam blocker, anti social, anti anti ads blocker (not typo), & regional based blocker.

Now, those ads blockers & Ghostery suppose to work when page is open. They both wake up and scan the page, and do their job if one of them find the "bad guy" first. The other will just do nothing because the first already get it. These what I mean waste of resources because they still scanning & one fail.

Of course no body forbid you to not subscribe to tracking blocker like EasyPrivacy & want to use extensions like Ghostery. It's just not advice able to enable EasyPrivacy & Ghostery in same time.

There were multiple way to block incoming streams like ads or whatever. I don't block ads, I block tracking on weird alien places.

• @dLeon

Wow! That was a real serious answer. You must have made a study out of this.
    Actually I am happy with the 2 Ad blockers that I have now.
    No irritating- or flashing ads anymore.
    If people are really so concerned about ads, malware and what have you, I suggest they try CLIQZ. No extensions possible, but Ghostery is included by default.
    But I really need some extensions, so this is not for me.
    Or Tor Browser, very very safe, but you will have to wait 5 minutes after each mouse-click ....

• Vivaldi Translator

@Dietrich
    In the end it's really depend to what you need.

One person perfect way not necessary perfect nor even good for others. All we could do is pointing to others to try something.

Choose & use the the tools that fit your need. Learn them. Adapt with them.

• @dLeon

As you are a translator yourself, I have a question about becoming a translator.
    What language do you translate in and does Vivaldi still need translators for some languages?

@Dietrich: Yes, Vivaldi is always looking for translators. (They're all volunteers,) You're Dutch, yes?

I think there's only one translator for Dutch and sometimes no clear consensus on what words or phrases should be used. If you're interested @Shpankov manages the team, and would be happy to respond to a personal message from you.

• @Ayespy

Yes, I am Dutch and my knowledge of the Dutch language is excellent!
    I will contact Shpankov later, thanks.

@Dietrich - Perhaps equally importantly, your grasp of English is excellent. Fluency in both languages is important.

• @Ayespy

I have also been an English teacher abroad, but not for the highest levels.
    If we need a good translation into Dutch we can always copy most of it from Firefox.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-Us/firefox/language-tools/

• Vivaldi Translator

@Dietrich
    Wha... A teacher and an English Teacher. The Dutch team catch a nice one.

You probably already get in touch with @Shpankov by now.
    After you get a green light, you need to register to https://translations.vivaldi.com/
    Confirm your registration to @Shpankov & then he will prepare some stuff for around 24 hour.

For the rest let's do this step by step after all procedures above was done.

I'm an Indonesian Translator by the way.

• @dLeon

So you translate into Bahasa Indonesia?
    Maybe your parents or grandparents spoke Dutch?
    Are you Chinese or Malay?

• @dLeon Thanks!!

• Vivaldi Translator

@Dietrich
    Just Indonesian :grin:

Grandparents from mother side could speak/read Dutch. But too late for me to ask, they pass away as I grew up & language aware.
    Hmph, I miss a lot of stuff in live did I?

• @Dietrich said in Will too many extensions slow down my browser?:

@Dietrich said in Will too many extensions slow down my browser?:

@dLeon

Both great programs.
    And both programs sometimes block different adds, just look at the numbers that it blocked in each program.

0_1488192341438_Skip Ad.jpg

When AdBlock is disabled you will see "Skip Ad" this when opening a YouTube video.
    When AdBlock is enabled, you won't see this.
    Even when Ghostery is enabled. So different Ad Blockers block different things apparently.
    Ghostery is a good program, but doesn't block everything.

• Yes. too many extensions can slow down your browser due to the run time processing.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.