[HOW TO] Backup/Restore/Transfer your profile (User Data) to another device ๐Ÿ–ฅโ†”๐Ÿ’พโ†”๐Ÿ’ป

• Recently I have finally found the motivation to copy my Vivaldi profile from my PC to my Tablet, where I also use the Vivaldi browser. I was surprised how easy it turned out to be - though not everything about it is so obvious and that's why I decided to share some tips on how to easily backup/restore or transfer our Vivaldi profile between various devices or separate Vivaldi installations.

First of all, make sure to check what is the path to your "User Data" folder, as it contains everything you need to backup:

1. Go to: vivaldi://about.
    2. Check the "Profile Path" entry.
    3. Navigate to that folder and go two directories up so that you can see the "User Data" folder.
      โ€‹

๐Ÿ’ก Before you begin: (If you use extensions like eg. LastPass to manage your passwords, you can skip steps 1-5)

1. Go to vivaldi://flags/#password-import-export.
    2. Enable the "Password import and export" feature.
    3. Restart Vivaldi.
    4. Go to chrome://settings/passwords and click on Export.
    5. โ— WARNING โ— Exported passwords are saved in plain text. That means anyone who gains access to that file can read all of your passwords. You should keep that file safe and remove it as soon as it's no longer needed.
    6. To save some space, you can clear all browsing data & history (Menu > Tools > Clear Private Data).
    7. If you want to keep your history, just backup your profile first and then clear the private data. Then make another copy of your profile (with no browsing data & history) if you want to transfer it to another device.
    8. When you're done, you can disable the "Password import and export" feature.
      โ€‹

๐Ÿ“ฅ Backup your profile:

1. Close Vivaldi.
    2. Copy the "User Data" folder onto another drive/directory or ZIP it with 7-Zip or similar software.
    3. Copy your exported passwords separately (preferably packed in a password-protected archive - it won't be unhackable, but it's better than no protection at all).
      โ€‹

๐Ÿ“ค Restore your profile:

1. Close Vivaldi.
    2. If your profile is corrupted or you lost some data that you'd like to recover now, you can delete your current "User Data" folder (you can create another backup first, just in case) and then restore your old copy of the "User Data" folder.
    3. If you're doing it after a system reinstall, you'll probably have to import your passwords manually and install all of your extensions again (more on that later).
      โ€‹

๐Ÿ“‚ Transfer your profile to another device:

1. Install Vivaldi if it's not on that device already.
    2. Make sure you know the path of Vivaldi profile on the device you want to copy your profile on (see above).
    3. Make sure that you're transferring data between the same versions of Vivaldi (compare the versions on vivaldi://about/). You should be good copying your data from Stable release to Snapshot, but I wouldn't recommend doing it the other way around.
    4. Close Vivaldi.
    5. Delete the "User Data" catalog and put the one that you copied from your other device in its place (but keep a separate copy of it - you might need it in steps 10-11).
    6. Start Vivaldi.
    7. Go to chrome://settings/passwords and import your passwords.
    8. Go to the Extensions page (Menu > Tools > Extensions or vivaldi://extensions).
    9. Click on "Get More Extensions".
    10. Download and install all the extensions that you need on this device. If you had them before, all of their settings should remain (I haven't tested it with all the extensions out there - only a couple that I use and it worked in each of them).
    11. If you don't remember or can't find the extensions that you need, go to your backed up "User Data" folder and navigate to the \Default\Extensions\ catalog. There'll be a bunch of folders with long names. Copy the name of each folder and just Google it. It should point you to the Chrome Web Store page of the extension that you've had installed previously. This might be time-consuming, though (depending on a number of extensions that you use).
      โ€‹

Until we get a real Sync or data backup/restore (import/export) feature in Vivaldi, I think this should be enough to do it on our own. ๐Ÿ™‚

You can sync some files manually (there doesn't seem to be a way of doing it automatically, unfortunately), like Bookmarks, Notes or Sessions. You can do it by copying over certain files from the \User Data\Default\ catalog. Here are some of them:

Bookmarks: This contains bookmarks and Speed Dials information.
    Notes: This contains notes information.
    Sessions: This contains saved tabs sessions.
    Web Data: This contains autofill data.
    Current Session: This contains data on open tabs.
    Other files are described here.

• I haven't tested this severely (especially on other systems than Windows), so you might stumble upon some issues that I haven't mentioned here. If so, please let me know, so that we could fix it.

If you should have any thoughts/ideas/suggestions on how to improve this tutorial, don't hesitate to tell me. ๐Ÿ™‚ I hope that we could use it later as a reference for anyone who might need it. I've seen some tutorials on this topic already, but all of them were incomplete - that's why I urged myself to create this one. ๐Ÿ˜

• Vivaldi Translator

@pafflick
    That's all practically a wrap. :thumbsup:

One thing.
    In Windows, all extensions setting (especially in Preferences file) will set like
    C:\%USERPROFILE%\..\Default\[extid]
    Linux or Android will be
    $HOME/../Default/[extid]

Transferring Chromium/Chrome data from Windows to Android tablet might make a party.

ref: https://www.chromium.org/user-experience/user-data-directory

• @pafflick Nice work. Thank you. I've bookmarked this for when I need it.

@pafflick Really a good article for less-experienced users and newbies who need to backup/restore the profile.

You should get a :trophy: for this. :)

• Very thorough description (maybe too thorough). For the less fussy, I have now transferred my profile a number of times and simply do the following:

• Install Vivaldi somewhere, run it and close it
    • copy the "User" directory from another installation (I usually use a standalone installation on my USB key)
    • run Vivaldi again and just re-do the bits that are broken (passwords, extensions)

Apart from slowly re-submitting passwords when I first use the sites again, the whole thing takes about five minutes.

• Vivaldi Translator

@mossman
    For IT adept your explanation would be enough. So, it's fine

For others & the most users, step by step review actually needed.

• @pafflick said in [HOW TO] Backup/Restore/Transfer your profile (User Data) to another device ๐Ÿ–ฅโ†”๐Ÿ’พโ†”๐Ÿ’ป:

Bookmarks: This contains bookmarks and Speed Dials information.

Does this also export the nicknames of the sites I've created ? :relaxed:

• Vivaldi Translator

I just realize this.

In "Import Bookmarks and Settings" dialog, there's Vivaldi option.
    It seems we can import Bookmarks, Password & History.
    And we can choose from another person session or from another folder.

Some poor soul want to test it?

• @JuniorSilva30 Yes, you can copy just the Bookmarks file (along with its backup, that is Bookmarks.bak) and your bookmarks will be imported with their nicknames & descriptions (if you used them). Some of the bookmarks thumbnails might be missing, though.

• @pafflick Thanks for the info! I'll make a backup of my favorites because I do not want to lose my nicknames!

• @mossman Yeah, I know that for a power-user such tutorial may be too thorough, however, I believe that a power-user won't need such tutorial anyway... ๐Ÿ˜‰

• @pafflick yeah, I just thought I'd throw the "abridged version" out there for those who can do it that way instead.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.