Ad tab and base64 address

• Sometimes, not often as I usually use ublock for sites, the ads aren't shown in their real url but uses instead an akward base64 address, which can't be rendered at all (the page stays blank, as it doesn't seem to have html code inside).
    The one below, is one of them:

(encoded)
    data:text/html;base64,PGh0bWw+PGJvZHk+PHNjcmlwdD52YXIgZT0obmV3IERhdGUpLmdldFRpbWUoKTt2YXIgZWZ3PXdpbmRvdy5uYW1lLnNwbGl0KCdfJylbM107aWYoZS1lZnc8MjUwKXt3aW5kb3cubG9jYXRpb249Jyc7fTwvc2NyaXB0PjwvYm9keT48L2h0bWw+

(decoded?)
    uėšµģ­¾f嶬{īš[ļ˜›ŁžOļœ˜Üš\ķ˜œč™J靈]JK陝[YJ
    NŻ˜\虙ķŚ›é›Ė›č›™Kģœ›]
    ׉Ź–Ģ—NŚ™ź™‹YYķŒķŒŠ^Żš[雝Ė›Ų˜][ŪIɎߏ ܘܚ\ļ‹˜ė™žOļ‹š[

In the example above, I tried to "decode" the whole url string, but I'm not sure if it was correctly decoded, or maybe, don't work as should be decoded with particular asian fonts.
    I may consider to block these strange address in ublock, as don't seems to be widely used (expect from ads sites). But I fear will break some elements of Vivaldi UI (which seems to use base64)

• Vivaldi Translator

@Hadden89
    It's widely used.
    All images in Google search page decoded as base64.

How you decode it?
    It give me this after I decode it.

<html><body><script>var e=(new Date).getTime();var efw=window.name.split('_')[3];if(e-efw<250){window.location='';}</script></body></html>

• Vivaldi Translator

@Hadden89
    It will kind of hard if not impossible to block base32/base64 properties.
    It's part/inside the page it self. When the page arrive on your system, that base32/base64 will also already be there.

The only thing you could do is hide them. Or block the page of course.
    For Google search page you need turn off all the scripts to block all that small images.

gorhill (ublock0) in his github said doesn't want to touch this issue.
    Same with ADB+ community.

• what do you use for decode/encode such urls? (probably, simply blacklist the decoded form of unwanted urls will be sufficent).

• Vivaldi Translator

@Hadden89
    Linux command line base64

Usually you just need to add that gibberish behind the first comma. Scrap that data:text/html;base64,.

• @dLeon said in Ad tab and base64 address:

@Hadden89
    Linux command line base64

Usually you just need to add that gibberish behind the first comma. Scrap that data:text/html;base64,.

Perfect ;)
    I don't use linux at the moment, but I still have a mint VM in which I can use that command or maybe even the ubuntu-on-windows (useless for me, but I wanted to try it lol) to decode the thing ;)

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.