Can Vivaldi one day be sabotaged? Afraid that this might happen (I do not understand much about this!)

• I do not understand much about this open source. Vivaldi is based on Chromium.
    I really like Vivaldi! My default browser, today would be difficult not to have Vivaldi, because it is very customizable and with many native options, very good!

I would like to know if there is any risk of Vivaldi losing its functionality due to some Google update on Chromium, could it happen, like, sabotage Vivaldi?

Someone explains me a bit about this, because sometimes I feel that Vivaldi can go down because of an update, then Vivaldi would lose its characteristics.

Sorry for English. I hope you understand! Thank you!

• @JuniorSilva30
    Too wide subject.
    I'm just share my opinion as also a user like you.

What functionality lost you have in mind?

I will be a hypocrite if I said it won't or it can't.

Google doesn't allow any plugins anymore except for flash.
    So, you unlikely need to worry in this area anymore. At least just choose to click & play the flash.

Extensions probably the current top most enemy.
    Vivaldi could use Chrome extensions. If it's a "naughty" extension then yes your Vivaldi could also got attacked.
    My advice, 10x checks about the extension you want to use. Find other review or something else. No review? Wait for sometime until another poor soul use it.
    Check/review it again after you use it for sometime. It's common that extension change hand & all hell break loose.

If you think about the change in Chromium codes. Then Vivaldi devs could easily or not easily reverse the change.

Something break because update is usual in any applications. Either cause by bugs (nasty) or just a regression.
    My advice, backup your profile before using update.

All applications also share same fates. Network tools like browsers, chat apps, or anything that have access to networks are windows to your system.
    My advice, at least firewall your system.

I think that all above the minimum.
    Like I said too wide subject.

• @dLeon said in Can Vivaldi one day be sabotaged? Afraid that this might happen (I do not understand much about this!):

@JuniorSilva30
    What functionality lost you have in mind?

I think the translation of my question failed.
    Vivaldi did not lose any functionality! I'm trying to say that Vivaldi can lose native functions because Chromium has been updated.

My fear is that Chromium can be upgraded and "sabotage" the Vivaldi project, and remove its native functions.
    It is possible ?
    As you said, it's a very broad subject.
    Thanks for the answer! :relaxed:

• @JuniorSilva30
    Ah okay. :grin:

Yeah, if the Chromium/Chrome just kick out or move something. Vivaldi could also suffer from it.

Good current example is "Security Overview" page.
    Chromium/Chrome move it to Developer Tools while before it listed under Padlock/Earth icon in Address Bar.
    That's not a lost, but make some people upset.

• @dLeon said in Can Vivaldi one day be sabotaged? Afraid that this might happen (I do not understand much about this!):

@JuniorSilva30
    Ah okay. :grin:

Yeah, if the Chromium/Chrome just kick out or move something. Vivaldi could also suffer from it.

I did not want to read this! :/
    It would be an update sadness of Chromium to remove large native Vivaldi functions. I hope this never happens! :D

• @JuniorSilva30
    Quoting from my previous answer;

If you think about the change in Chromium codes. Then Vivaldi devs could easily or not easily reverse the change.

As part of translator team I have good example for this.
    There's an attempt to resurrect Chromium dead/removed translations. It's mostly languages of the minority people/clans/nations.
    Judging from the effort, it's a "wow".

Forgot: :grin:
    Just don't stop to Feature Request it if you think something suppose to be there.
    Yeah, I'm that evil.

@JuniorSilva30

The important thing is that developers try, read this was very good! :)

As part of translator team I have good example for this.
    There's an attempt to resurrect Chromium dead/removed translations. It's mostly languages of the minority people/clans/nations.
    Judging from the effort, it's a "wow".

Thank you for the effort to translate, it's a very important job, as this greatly influences users to move to Vivaldi.

Of course, I think you are not part of the Portuguese translation in Brazil, but the translations are important, I often share Vivaldi and they ask me if this is Portuguese, I say yes! Even though it's not completely translated (I know it's difficult) but most of it is in Portuguese, and that's enough for users!
    Almost 100% is in Portuguese!

• Another example which has already happened is that Vivaldi can not run in Windows XP any more...

Unfortunately, that seems to be something which is too "built-in" to Chromium to fix.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.