Is there any way to see if a posted problem has been solved?

• I see a lot of old posts, but I have never seen any indicator that shows if the problem has been solved.
    It would save some time without having to go through all the replies.
    Just a blinking sign with "Solved" would be nice.
    Or is there such an indicator?

• @Dietrich The first post should be edited and get the tag Resolved.
    This tag can be seen in thread listing.

But a Resolved button for the startposter should be easier.
    The webdevs of forum know about this and may implement such addition next.

• Sorry, I can't find it and have never seen it.
    Does that mean the original poster has to edit it and tag it as solved? Maybe they never did, because I have never seen it anywhere.
    Or if they did, please tell me exactly where to find it, maybe a screenshot?

• Go to first post of thread
    At bottom of the post click the three blue vertical dots
    Select Edit
    Below the textarea is a field for Tags
    Type Res and select the Resolved Tag
    Submit edited post

If that does not work please ask a Moderator to mark it as resolved.

• Sorry to bother you again, but I see no text called "Select Edit".
    See attached screenshot.
    But even if it works, this is not what I am looking for.
    I would like to know if a problem has been solved that was posted by the original poster.
    There should be a very clear sign near the post that says : SOLVED.
    Maybe I have a solution to someone's problem, but if it's an old post, it may well have been solved, but I just don't know.
    If I never see that sign, I will not bother to read or try to solve someone else's problem.
    Then I am just wasting everybody's time.0_1487673932743_three blue vertical dots.jpg

• @Dietrich It would save time, but only if everyone marked their threads as solved. In the old forum, users could edit their own posts without any time limit, and select a green tick icon for their opening post, which would mark a thread as resolved. Few users did, some did after I told them how to, most still did not.

There are already six pages of requests for this forum. If you post in the right place, it might get noticed. It may not get implemented; if it does, it still won't solve the problem.

• @Pesala

I'm glad you agree this is a legitimate request.
    Moderators, please solve this situation as it would avoid unnecessary posts and communication.

• @Dietrich No it would not avoid unnecessary posts. Those of us who think it helps to mark a post as resolved would still have to remind users to use the "Resolved" button, or whatever, as most users would not mark their threads as resolved.

Just take a quick look at the Serif Community Plus forum, which does have a simple method to mark a thread as resolved. Only about 1 in 10 posts is marked with a green filled icon in the forum index.

I have a note that I often post to resolved threads to tell users what to do, but it has only a marginal effect.

The Thread Starter may use the Best Answer icon by the most useful reply to mark a thread as resolved.
    The thread then acquires a filled green icon in the forum index so that everyone can know that it has been resolved.
    The Best Answer appears first after the question, then anyone opening a thread from a search will see the Best Answer at once.

• @Pesala

I guess it's not easy being a moderator.
    How about letting the system automatically delete a thread after 3 months or so, if not marked as resolved?
    If it is a very urgent request or issue, it could be posted again.

• @Dietrich
    Deleting old post won't be a good idea. People won't notice problems ever been talked about & actually solved (even if this solved seem vague).

Although I admit, it doesn't useful either. People has a tendency to not do search nor even find what their looking for, happen in any forums.

Hmph, a few weeks ago I just answer to question about Vivaldi video problems, few minutes later other come with same question. Well, if you do find really old post & actually has same problem, you could make them as references to back up your new post.

Not easy being a moderator.
    Ha, in Old Opera forum, the only forum I ever really active. The mods probably have nerve of steels. You can't imagine how many curses delivered to them in one day.
    And in same time do their works as moderators.

These past three days, I notice you patiently learn about Vivaldi from studying old post without actually ask nor complain. I don't know how many people do that, but that's a thumb up.

• @dLeon

Thank you my friend, I always try to be as positive as possible.
    And I have a lot of time to figure things out and love computers.
    I live in China and am forced to use Internet through a VPN service in order to bypass the GFW of China.
    Believe me, VPN problems are a real challenge here, but even then, Vivaldi is working fine!

• @Dietrich said in Is there any way to see if a posted problem has been solved?:

@dLeon

Thank you my friend, I always try to be as positive as possible.
    And I have a lot of time to figure things out and love computers.
    I am in China and both Opera and Vivaldi are very popular here too.

• @Dietrich said in Is there any way to see if a posted problem has been solved?:

I live in China and am forced to use Internet through a VPN service in order to bypass the GFW of China.
    Believe me, VPN problems are a real challenge here, but even then, Vivaldi is working fine!

Good you persist! But is it true the Chinese government is cracking down hard on VPN? I recommended Vivaldi to two Chinese business acquaintances and they could not download it.

• @Dietrich
    I think there is a time limit beyond which it is not possible to edit ones own post. I think this should be changed. One should able to edit his own post indefinitely.
    This is what precisely I asked here.
    https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/14622/is-there-a-way-to-edit-the-post-which-i-already-made-solved-solution-edit-within-a-short-time-frame
    and able to change the title of my post within first few hours. But I am not sure where is that boundary.

• @nellaiseemai
    I was told you can edit your own post within one hour.
    I also want to know if I can delete my own posts, even after one hour?

• @Dietrich No, you can't and in some forum categories you cannot delete your own posts at all...

• @pafflick

Yes I can!
    Suppose I have submitted a post, read it over and I discover a typo or some other mistake, I can click "Quote" and edit it again (within one hour).
    I have done it a few times.
    But deleting your own post after one hour still seems impossible, I wonder why?

@pafflick

Yes I can!
    Suppose I have submitted a post, read it over and I discover a typo or some other mistake, I can click "Quote" and edit it again (within one hour).
    I have done it a few times myself.
    But deleting your own post after one hour still seems impossible, I wonder why?

I can click "Quote" and edit it again (within one hour).

But then you are NOT editing your post!
    You are creating a second post with a quote and there is not time limit on replying :grin:

To actually edit a post (change spelling etc), it has to be within the one hour time limit.
    I guess the same time limit exists for deleting your post, maybe.

Suppose I have submitted a post, read it over and I discover a typo or some other mistake

You could always read over your post before clicking submit :grin:

• @TbGbe

Unfortunately you are right! (unedited):blush:

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.