Low discoverability of forum presentation

• I have only just discovered Vivaldi v1.7.735.46 for the first time today, having been using only Netscape Communicator and Pale Moon for many years, so I found the forum and wanted to sign up.

Clicking on the "Login" hyperlink in any of the forum threads takes me to the login form like usual. However, there is no "Sign up" hyperlink on the login form for new users!

So I searched using Startpage for a sign-up address for Vivaldi community. First it gave me https://vivaldi.net/easysocial-dashboard/registration but the forum didn't recognise the credentials I signed up with there. Another hit was https://forum.vivaldi.net/auth/vivaldi -- and that allowed me to sign up again, this time in a way the forum acknowledges. At the end of the registration form, I then discovered that https://forum.vivaldi.net/ does have both a Login and a Register hyperlink in the top right corner.

This is all a bit of a barrier-to-entry for newcomers to the Vivaldi Community. Please would you consider adding a "Sign up" hyperlink to the login form? Is it omitted at the moment to deter robots from finding it?

Additional: upon trying to post this new thread by clicking the Submit button, a hovery thing said, "Please enter a longer title. Titles should contain at least 3 character(s)." I clicked it, thinking it would show me where I was supposed to submit a title, and my whole post vanished! After panicking a bit, I found that a mysterious red circle with a white plus in it is actually an interactable element and clicking it brought my post back. That's definitely unexpected! I'm grateful Vivaldi uses Ctrl-F to locate text on the current page - with that I found the "Enter your topic title here..." outside the form in very pale grey. Maybe it's just that I'm used to the very clean interface of phpBB and IP.board - but whatever software is running this forum has much lower discoverability which I think is important for orienting newcomers. Most significantly, this form for starting a new thread has a "Submit" button but the form for replying to an extant thread has no "Submit" button. After writing a post and hunting around, I eventually clicked all the buttons along the top. One cancelled the post (yay for copy to clipboard before experimenting!), many inserted markdown I could delete, and one submitted the post. This button had a chevron that made it look as if it was going to allow the author to include HTML tags (perhaps for quoting code) but unexpectedly turned out to submit the form. This is inconsistent with user expectations and inconsistent with the form for starting a thread.

At a minimum, I would suggest:

• add a "Sign-Up" link to the Log-In form
    • synchronise the login database for this thing and this forum
    • add a "Submit" button to the Reply form
    • change the new thread form so that the Topic field is:
      • inside the form, surrounded by a rectangle like the other form elements, and
      • not such pale text.
    • The red spot is very bizarre, and will lead to quite a few users believing their contribution has been discarded, so the first thing they'll try is they'll hit the browser's Back button hoping to see their text again. It's information hiding, there is absolutely no visual indication that it is what was responsible for removing your post, and I don't see how its functionality could be helpful. I think it would be best to get rid of it.

• When I reply to you, I have a "Submit" button. I wonder where you are doing this that does not have it?0_1487571998750_8f6f7383-148c-4c0e-a176-cd1924d30829.jpg

• Ayespy said in Low discoverability of forum presentation:

When I reply to you, I have a "Submit" button. I wonder where you are doing this that does not have it?0_1487571998750_8f6f7383-148c-4c0e-a176-cd1924d30829.jpg

Your screenshot looks like the form I got when I started this new thread.

When I respond to a thread, the forum gives me a form that looks like this:

Interesting!

• @Mammal: What sort of system is that? It's a Linux UI of some kind apparently, but the Forum view you get looks like a mobile version rather than the desktop version.

• @Mammal Close the panel.
    You have a too small screen area to see the preview area and Discard/Submit buttons.
    Note: May also need to adjust the zoom lower until it all fits.

• Ayespy said in Low discoverability of forum presentation:

Mammal: What sort of system is that? It's a Linux UI of some kind apparently,

Yes: I'm using Linux Mint with the MATE GUI. I find it good because it:

It's pretty good. I switched to it when XP's LTS expired.

TbGbe said in Low discoverability of forum presentation:

Mammal Close the panel.
    You have a too small screen area to see the preview area and Discard/Submit buttons.
    Note: May also need to adjust the zoom lower until it all fits.

Woah, that's it! You're spot-on: dismissing my Bookmarks or lowering the Zoom to 80% did completely transform the forum form. I have the Bookmarks panel shown in lieu of the normal Bookmarks menu. Thankyou for tracking down such an obscure solution! I'll keep my zoom set at 80% now.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.