Norton don't analyse the files which are downloaded

• Hello,
    The remark is in the title.
    Would anyone have a solution?
    Without these analyzes, I can not continue to use Vivaldi.

• I don't know which products fails. But Vivaldi's developers cant fix other company's software.

Please ask Norton's support first to fix their security software and support Vivaldi browser.

• If you've enabled Norton's "Autoprotect" function, it should scan downloaded files as soon as they hit the system. If it doesn't, there's something wrong with Norton or how it's set up. Downloaded files are simply files, and as soon as they are recognized by Windows' file manager, Norton should automatically deal with them. If you can see the downloaded files, Norton should see them as well and respond accordingly. I run Win7-64 and Norton with Autoprotect enabled, and I have no download scanning problems.

• According to Slashdot stories, antivirus products are going out of vogue. [1] [2]

At least the browser makers seem to hate them and their browser extensions, and I can see why. The third-party virus scanners I've used seem to rarely "just work". Something like Norton is, of course, necessary if you insist on downloading stuff from dubious sources or company policy demands it.

• @kumiponi said in Norton don't analyse the files which are downloaded:

According to Slashdot stories, antivirus products are going out of vogue. [1] [2]

At least the browser makers seem to hate them and their browser extensions, and I can see why. The third-party virus scanners I've used seem to rarely "just work". Something like Norton is, of course, necessary if you insist on downloading stuff from dubious sources or company policy demands it.

One problem unrelated to downloading from dubious sources, however, is that drive-by exploits at websites do indeed exist in the real world, and they don't involve intentionally downloading anything from dubious sites. Such infecting websites at times have included reputable, 'name' ones like New York Times, Yahoo, etc. If the site's scripting code or the ad-space it rents out are hacked to link your browser to a malicious site that can identify and exploit your browser or system weaknesses, you may find yourself in trouble unless you've got airtight, layered security - just one layer of which is a decent AV. Just because a user avoids 'dubious' sites is not a reason that they won't be exposed to malicious exploits out on the web.

• Norton works perfectly on my system. I do not see why Norton should solve Vivaldi's problems.
    Downloads are analyzed when they are made from Firefox or Internet Explorer.

• This post is deleted!

• @Ekalb said in Norton don't analyse the files which are downloaded:

I do not see why Norton should solve Vivaldi's problems.

But where is your problem? If Norton uses a lowlevel network filter it scan the download while downloading. At last it scans once more when the download is stored in cache.

What do you really need?
    You did not tell us what is missing for you.

• @Gwen-Dragon

I thought I had some help here, but I did not.
    I report a problem the only answers I have is "it's not Vivaldi, it's you or it's Norton".
    I no longer need anything, I uninstalled Vivaldi.

• @Ekalb You did not describe your problem which part of Norton security suite fails in Vivaldi.
    You said: "Norton don't analyze the files which are downloaded."
    That means for most of us: Norton has a problem or you misconfigured your Security Suite.

• @Gwen-Dragon
    I wrote: "Norton works perfectly on my system. I do not see why Norton should solve Vivaldi's problems.
    Downloads are analyzed when they are made from Firefox or Internet Explorer and also with Chrome."
    It's not clear?
    It is the problem of these new browsers, if you use them, you lose security.
    I'm also pretty sure that Kaseprsky web protection does not work with Vivaldi.
    When vivaldi will be compatible with the main security software it will become a serious browser. This is not the case now.

• @Ekalb said in Norton don't analyse the files which are downloaded:

I'm also pretty sure that Kaseprsky web protection does not work with Vivaldi.

Yes. The Kaspersky extension does not load.

When vivaldi will be compatible with the main security software it will become a serious browser. This is not the case now.

Yes, Extensions of antivirus software in browsers are a nice-to-have for some people.

But such "security" tools break SSL ciphers and fake SSL certificates, lowering trust level for websites, weakaning security.

OK, if your opinion about browser security is fastened to such software you cant use Vivaldi, that is a fact.

• Vivaldi Translator

@Ekalb
    (Auto) Scanning incoming/outgoing files is responsibility of the scanner.

Auto Scanner use some paths to do this

• When reading/opening file manager.
    • When running the file (applications or MS Office documents).
    • When files goes through/using memory.
    • When network stream goes through your network. Unfortunately this could cause network hiccup if not slow.
    • When you choose to keep watch specific folder on the scanner settings.

When you turn on network scanning and your scanner doesn't detect any anomalies, the problem lies on that scanner application.
    Some Windows viruses infect your system just by reading it's name inside file manager (blame it to Windows Explorer feature). If scanner doesn't detect this, it have serious problem.

Now, it's a fact, all major named browsers had been acknowledge by Anti Virus vendors. Anti Virus vendors designed their applications to keep watch those browsers if exist & they're running. Browser vendors doesn't have obligation to specifically support (many) Anti Virus products nor (many) System Security products. It's the other way around. User expect their favorite Anti Something to do their jobs, don't they.

Specific support to other browsers also must be set up to any applications that involve browsers, like system cleaner (ex. CCleaner) or any security softwares.
    CCleaner for example only search known browsers cache on designated folders. It's hardcoded in their application sources. Of course, user can set up other places to scan in CCleaner settings.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.