When will there be support for Unicode 7.0 and newer?

• Here (Win10 x64 Vivaldi x64 Stable), I see all the emojis except the ones of unicode 10

• Vivaldi Translator

@pafflick I know why. Firefox uses emojione font (open source). They added built-in emoji font since version 50.
    0_1487255540813_50eebc0f-f3a5-40c9-8714-5373675f4bb2.png

• Vivaldi Translator

In summary, I see that...

• If you are Windows 10 user you have no problem to display emojis (up to Unicode version 9.0) 🧔 🧚 🦓 🤨

• If you are a user of Windows 7, 8, 8.1 you may have trouble viewing emojis (as of version 7.0 of Unicode).

• Possible solutions for users of windows 7,8,8.1 would be to install a new version of the source Segoe UI Emoji and try it to see if it works, find if there is a pack of updates in windows update related to sources that use emoji, or wait for Vivaldi to do as Firefox (from version 50) and deploy native emoji support using emojione.

I would like to know if Linux / Ubuntu or Mac users have this problem...

• Vivaldi Translator

@julioc1984

Yes & No.

• Yes, most of Emoji Unicode Glyph on @Gwen-Dragon links show up. Up to Unicode 8 on my Linux/Debian system. So, unfortunately this also a No, some Linux Distro doesn't have Unicode 9.0~11 fonts available in their repo.
    • Yes, most of them show up. Unfortunately the code is pickup by the most complete Unicode Symbols font. Which all of them black/white (neutral color).
      In my system is Symbola from ttf-ancient-script/fonts-ancient, up to Unicode 7.0. The rest probably pickup by other fonts like Roboto (Unicode 8.0).
      @pafflick like to use Segoe UI Symbols Emoji. They show up black/white on my system. While Windows user (who happen to have that font) said it actually in full colored glory.

So, all of these thread problem is only fonts availability.

For Emojione you can try to use their TTF/OTF/WOFF Assets from
    https://github.com/Ranks/emojione/tree/master/assets/fonts
    That their official github.

• @julioc1984 said in When will there be support for Unicode 7.0 and newer?:

On Linux can use eosrei PPA (but symbols only appear in black/white in Vivaldi as well ).
    See https://github.com/eosrei/emojione-color-font

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.