Export of Notes

• Vivaldi may indeed become the next generation browser -- fast, adaptable, multi-level --, but, while the bookmarks may be exported to an html file, I'm missing an option to export my notes! As I'm a dedicated Windows XP user and therefore confined to Vivaldi v. 1, I'd prefer a plug-in or other work-around to archive and use my notes outside Vivaldi. It wouldn't be bad either to have a Windows XP version for future updates of Vivaldi, as Win XP is still the operating system for about 20 % of all PCs worldwide. The argument that Win XP is not safe doesn't hold in a time when conventional virus scanning technology is about to become obsolete ...

• Talking about workarounds - you can go to your User Data > Default folder (Check "Profile Path" entry in vivaldi://about/) and get the Notes file from there. It's a plain text, editable in any text editor.

• Vivaldi Translator

@Hardy55
    Isn't Chromium upstream kick out the XP parts of the codes?

Except you want next Vivaldi based on last Chromium (ver. 50?) that still support WinXP there's no other way around.
    I also with you, WinXP not safe arguments just marketing hype. There 1001 ways to secure a system.

Although, I also understand why Chromium & the forks or any major browsers/applications reluctant to maintain parts of the WinXP codes. If something break, it mean their on their own. They can't consult Microsoft about OS that they don't want to hear ever again.

• @pafflick Thank you for your good advice. I've opened the "notes" file both as TXT and as HMTL file. In both cases a lot of code garbage is retained. It would be nice to have a handy plug-in that will clean the notes to retain the URL and text proper as well as any image saved.

• @dLeon I understand the problem of incompatibility of later versions of Vivaldi with Windows XP solely rests on Chrome's decision to discontinue support for Win XP from version 50 onwards. I still feel there are good reasons to continue to use Win XP for office applications, as long as you do not add highly sophisticated hardware. One strong argument for Vivaldi is the decision by its programmers to offer versions for Windows, MAC as well as Linux. I'd appreciate if an updated version supporting Win XP could be included as long as some new options can be implemented within the Chrome Win XP environment. Thanks for replying. Have a nice day.

• @Hardy55 -- I do realise this is off-topic, but... wrt your soldiering on bravely with XP, & consequent difficulty with Vivaldi [which IMO will never be solved per policy prominently canvassed here a while ago], are there any extra special irreplaceable XP pgms without which your life would fall apart? If yes, then i'm probably still sceptical, but if no, then why not whack Linux [if your h/w is modest, you could use a Mate or Xfce based distro for lightness & speed] on your hdd instead of XP, enjoy all the repos' free s/w, & then happily run Linux V without any hassles?

• @Steffie Thanks for your good advice. Unfortunately, programs like OCR, DTP, archiving, etc. won't work under Linux, as far as I know. One might consider having a Linux distribution, perhaps in a virtual environment, for all internet traffic, but that's not comfortable, isn't it?

• Vivaldi Translator

@Hardy55
    For this;
    DTP = Desktop Publishing?
    I agree on this, Desktop Publishing (read: multimedia in overall) is a big problem on Linux. I talk as a heavy Linux user here. With the exception for video/audio. FFMPEG practically powered every single things you see this days.
    Just curious, if you really in to Desktop Publishing, why not go Apple instead Windows? Apple almost a de facto standard for Desktop Publishing Company.

OCR = Optical Character Recognition?
    That available on Linux. I could suggest Tesseract OCR. Improved by Google.
    There's other engines too.
    But, as I am not even adepth in this field. Please don't trust me on this one.

Archiving is almost the essence of Unix since day one. Now, carry on by it's descendants, any Operating Systems, exclude *BSD, they're still the real Unix. It's quiet easy to archive things on Linux.

• @Hardy55 -- well, if i might make a general remark [coz i do not know how well VirtualBox or VMWare specifically support XP, but if they do, then read on], VB at least can [at the user's preference] run in an "integrated" style that basically seamlessly blends its running programs into the host OS such that for all practical purposes it looks like they are just more "normal" windows of the host, even though they're really running in the guest OS in the host. In your context [again, IF VB still supports XP], you could continue running XP as now, but install VB into it, create a Linux VM, configure it to operate in seamless mode, install Vivaldi in it, & kinda sorta have your cake & eat it.

I have lots of VB VMs that i periodically play, learn or test with, & i confess that i actually prefer not to use seamless mode. I have played with it a little bit, enough to see that it is quite clever, & might well appeal to you. Or not.

Back when i was a 100% Windows user, but just learning of the existence of this strange beastie called Linux, that's more or less what i did... installed VB into Win7 [years before that, when i still used XP, i'd not heard of VB or Linux], created some VMs, tried various Linux distros in them, liked what i found, liked it some more, began loving it. Next step was to shrink my Win7 partition & setup dual Win-Lin dual-boot. Found i was preferring to spend more & more of my time booted into Linux, & began hating it when i had to boot back to Win7. Eventually made the jump to reformat into 100% Linux, & although 2 of my VMs now are Win10, i never "need" to use them for real anymore, & really dislike using them when i do. So, who knows where you might end up if you do take Step 1 by installing a VM in XP -- teehee.

• @Steffie A cordial thank you to DLeon and Steffie for your ideas. As a matter of fact I was initiated into PC work thru Windows 3.1 -- that had to be loaded from floppy disc everytime you wanted to work with it ... There are some software programs that are unparalleled and will only run under XP and perhaps later Windows OPs. As an academic, I've always lacked money for an Apple MAC. Perhaps, if I had good friends where I live who'd show me how to operate with virtual installations, I'd try that. So far, a double boot installation is how far I have got -- not a practical solution. I'm now too old and have better things to do than to absorb PC solutions for technical freaks or gamers.

But as I had started this thread to ask for a plug-in that will automatically clean notes of garbage and export them, we should honor the rules of this forum and perhaps not continue discussing Win XP. Thank you for your contributions. Vivaldi's won my heart from the beginning.

• I can confirm that VMWare runs Vivaldi in Linux in XP just fine...

... unless you're trying to do it on a six year old netbook. Then it's slowwwwwwwwwwww (and crashy)

• Wonderful. Do you know an easy explanation for beginners how to run VMWare in WinXP, especially in "seamless mode"?

• @Hardy55 I gave up since it wasn't practical on my netbook, so I don't remember any details now. I also don't know what Steffie meant by "seamless".

Briefly:

• you install something like VMWare on your machine

• you download a big zip file which contains the whole set-up and "hard disk" of, for example, an Ubuntu Linux installation

• you can then run that installation from VMWare - your mouse and keyboard will operate the virtual machine and its output will be on your screen (or in a window)... there is a keyboard shortcut to switch between using the virtual machine and your normal XP desktop

• you will then have to install Vivaldi in the Linux virtual machine (N.B. different Linux versions have different ways to install things, the more user-friendly ones (like Ubuntu) have a system to select apps from a catalogue so you can just click what you want and it will install... I imagine Vivaldi is now available in some of those, so you'd better ask in https://forum.vivaldi.net/category/35/vivaldi-browser-for-linux to help you decide which Linux version is easiest!)

After that, you can leave Vivaldi running on the desktop of your virtual machine, so that whenever you want to use it you just open the machine - and when you close the machine again it will save its state... just like hibernating Windows.

I only played around experimentally many months ago, so you'd better talk to people in the Linux forum of Vivaldi. FYI there is a little bit of info on ready-made virtual Linux machines here:

http://www.osboxes.org/vmware-images/

• I can give you tips, if you like, for VirtualBox, but not VMWare sorry. "Seamless Mode" is a VirtualBox expression; i'm unsure if current VMWare has an equivalent, but i suspect that at least older VMWare had something similar called "Unity".

This article http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/linux-and-open-source/virtualbox-seamless-mode-the-only-way-to-virtualize/ doesn't go into any actual detail, but might give an overview sense of the VB SM.

BTW, you do NOT have to use SM at all, you could just run the VM conventionally if you prefer. I only mentioned SM coz i thought that visually it might simplify things for you.

To play your own words back at you, if you'd like to take this further, maybe a new thread? ;-)

• @mossman Your information is very helpful. Thank you very much. It is nice to get in touch with people willing to share their knowledge and experience.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.