How can I copy the full URL from the address bar?

• Hi there,

I am wondering how I get the full URL (schema://host/uri&request=params) from the address bar? Evidently the schema is only copied under certain circumstances (although I have still to find out what exact circumstances those are).

I'm not using Vivaldi all too long, yet. I used to use Opera up to 12.x in the past, though. And since that has become unsupported I migrated to Firefox and now to Vivaldi when I found out about it. For me it's the most normal thing to press F8, which has the full address selected in the address bar, then press Ctrl+C to copy it and be able to reuse it elsewhere. However, with Vivaldi I have noticed that the schema seems to be left off. I noticed this specifically with an intranet address at my company which uses an explicit port (which makes the schema/protocol even more important).

The result was that instead of http://host:1234/uri I only had host:1234/uri in the clipboard. Inserting that in a new tab and trying to access it, however, went straight to the preconfigured web search engine. WTF? Obviously you really don't want such unexpected behavior with intranet addresses (or any addresses for that matter).

• To add insult to injury, you don't even need to copy the address bar contents to the clipboard to get this unexpected behavior. So I come more and more to see this as a big fat defect in the software.

If you try to manipulate the URL in the address bar, e.g. by manipulating a request parameter, the result is the same. You end up on some external web search engine (whichever is configured). Here it was Bing.

• settings/address bar/show full address

• Thanks. Let me see if this also gets rid of the odd behavior. At least it should allow to copy the full URL, I reckon.

Edit: works also for the second issue. Thanks.

• @hvergelmir said in How can I copy the full URL from the address bar?:

I come more and more to see this as a big fat defect in the software

Well no, i'm sorry but you're wrong. It's more a big fat defect in the methodology of a V-newbie who [apparently] would rather post negative remarks first, before [/without?] actually carefully examining & adjusting the Settings.

• @Steffie said in How can I copy the full URL from the address bar?:

@hvergelmir said in How can I copy the full URL from the address bar?:

I come more and more to see this as a big fat defect in the software

Well no, i'm sorry but you're wrong. It's more a big fat defect in the methodology of a V-newbie who [apparently] would rather post negative remarks first, before [/without?] actually carefully examining & adjusting the Settings.

Which is why I asked. And I even got a helpful answer, which really speaks for the community, don't you think?

And if you can't appreciate that people don't want their intranet addresses leaked to some search engine, despite having that carefully reconfigured in the Settings to use a more privacy-conscious option, then I can't help it. Admittedly I should have waited before posting since my wording is a bit sharper than I would normally use.

The big deal wasn't so much the mere nuisance of being unable to get it to copy the URL (a URL always includes a scheme) to the clipboard, but the fact that pasting it led to the undesired and moreover unexpected effect of leaking intranet host names and more. It's great that there is a setting for it, though.

• @hvergelmir -- My point, oh perspicacious one, was not that you did not know about it as a newbie [which is a criticism i'd never make, being deeply unfair to the newbie], nor that you then asked about it per se, but that you chose not to first check the Settings & then compounded it by making your enquiry post [the second one] a blatant false accusation. Had you merely asked your question with a neutral & courteous tone, all would have been fine. I can't ever fathom why some people who don't understand something then elect to blame someone else, when it's their own methodological failure.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.