Java update pop ups

• I'm really enjoying this browser, the only problem I've really had has been the Java update warning which I believe to be some form of malware and I have an awesome security set up .

@Dustydan47: That's not related to the browser. Yes, it may be malware. Did you download direct from the Vivaldi site, or another source?

• no, it just popped up and wouldn't let go so I did a forced shut down, brought it back up and ran it through norton, no problems but it has done it twice

• Vivaldi itself does not use Java, which instead must be or is directly (and optionally) installed into a system as a separate program. A few websites may still employ Java code at their sites (typically games, weather sites, or a few financials), and those sites can generate a message of need if your system doesn't have it already installed. However, if you're getting a spontaneous, persistent Java pop-up independent of website and demanding a Java update, either it's coming from an existing malware infection on the system or from an infected site or malicious ad which the site is carrying.

Is your Java pop-up occurring at just one site or at random times and different sites? Also, check your extensions in Vivaldi (Tools>Extensions) to see if there's something there that you didn't place there or that looks suspicious.

The usual explanatory note/disclaimer applies: Java is its own 'thing' and unrelated to the similarly-named JavaScript. Both are scripting languages, but have little in common. Browsers and websites use JavaScript almost universally, but because a browser's JavaScript is built in, it only gets modified when updating the browser - not as a result of a pop-up suggestion.

@Blackbird said in Java update pop ups:

Vivaldi itself does not use Java, which instead must be or is directly (and optionally) installed into a system as a separate program.

Actually not. It's no longer supported on Chromium browsers. Some sites still use Java applets, though.

@Blackbird said in Java update pop ups:

Also, check your extensions in Vivaldi (Tools>Extensions) to see if there's something there that you didn't place there or that looks suspicious.

To @Dustydan47: I'll add that even the extensions that you've installed yourself could cause this - so try to disable them all and see if that still happens.

• @Dustydan47 It's also possible that you have an out-of-date Java installation which is (or was) used by something other than Vivaldi, and the pop-up is legit (I wouldn't trust it, though). If you're running Windows, open Control Panel, click on "Java" or "Java (32 bit)" and see if it is a version lower than Java 8 version 121. If it is, go to oracle.com and get the newest version.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.