Disappointed Vivaldi New User

• I have just installed Vivaldi, hoping it would be a pleasant experience. !NOT! I am not even going to proceed with using it unless there is a solution to pathetic loading speed - the worst I have encountered in my many computer years. Either from the Desktop or taskbar, the loading speed is !! 3.5 to over 4 seconds !! I will not even try to use it if it will not load faster than that. Any response would certainly be appreciated.

@boardarc: Thank you for your interest! Welcome to Vivaldi! :)

What sort of hardware do you use, and what OS? (And if it's the worst in your "many computer years," that's what - about 20 months? When I started using browsers in 1995, one generally took somewhere between 20 seconds and a full minute to load.) Now, on this machine, first load of the day after I power the machine up takes about 5 seconds. Every subsequent time until I power down for the night is about 2 seconds. Of course that's slower than Chrome or Firefox, because they don't have to open as many processes as Vivaldi does, and don't have to draw every element of their UI from scratch (as they use native UI elements - which makes it hard to modify their UIs - a prime purpose of the existence of Vivaldi).

That said, if waiting an additional second or two for the best browsing experience on the web ruins your experience before it begins, then you should probably stay far away from Vivaldi and stick to simplistic browsers that load "really fast." Because, really, how fast a browser loads is the most important thing and no other considerations matter.

We are very sorry to be "pathetic," "the worst," and "!NOT!" a pleasant experience. Our abject apologies to you, noble sir.

• What I recommend is at the very instant you launch Vivaldi, give yourself a hefty slap to the left cheek.
    If performed correctly you will blackout for about 2secs and when you snap out of it Vivaldi should be fully loaded. :raised_hand: :open_mouth: :wink:

• @boardarc said in Disappointed Vivaldi New User:

Any response would certainly be appreciated

= Goodbye.

• @Steffie said in Disappointed Vivaldi New User:

@boardarc said in Disappointed Vivaldi New User:

Any response would certainly be appreciated

= Goodbye.

:laughing: That's qualifies as a response!

• @boardarc 2-3 seconds is the startup time of Vivaldi. Speedup improvements are tested in backstage of Vivaldi development. The browser does not run as 100% binary compiled mega-optimzed code.
    The User Interface is built in HTML5, CSS and JS, this may startup a little bit slower.

But if you need real fast browser you should take Chrome or Lynx or w3m. These browsers will please you in fast startup.

• @Gwen-Dragon said in Disappointed Vivaldi New User:

Speedup improvements are tested in backstage of Vivaldi development.

Love this.

• Vivaldi Translator

@Ayespy said in Disappointed Vivaldi New User:

if waiting an additional second or two for the best browsing experience on the web ruins your experience before it begins, then you should probably stay far away from Vivaldi and stick to simplistic browsers that load "really fast."

@Gwen-Dragon said in Disappointed Vivaldi New User:

But if you need real fast browser you should take Chrome or Lynx or w3m. These browsers will please you in fast startup.

You've forgot to mention eww.
    Quite pathetic discussion, isn't it?
    I really understand slowness of HTML & JS, but it's the only acceptable argument in this thread.

Yes, it is a long time, but I remember one browser called Opera 11 (v12 removed some features like Opera Unite which could be quite interesting in retrospect).
    It was in many aspects more advanced browser than Vivaldi but despite it was one of the lightest and fastest browsers.
    I don't mean page rendering speed, but overall speed/HW resource hungriness (it could be perfectly seen on low-end/old PCs). At least faster than Chrome, so I don't much understand why are you sorting it alongside Lynx.

Why are you deriding features combining speed? Yes, it's some sort of ideal but not too impossible.

• Funny, here Vivaldi starts very fast! As fast as Google Chrome and Firefox!
    Maybe it's your poorly optimized system or hardware.

• @nfsmaniac Yes, slowness in not nice.
    The startuptime is not fast enough for you on your soft- and hardware.

On my Windows 10 it takes 2 seconds to start Vivaldi with 4 tabs open and with 12 extensions. As fast as Firefox with no Addons or faster as Edge. Opera 12 takes 3 seconds to start.

• 3.5-4 seconds !!..... Call the time police !

I can't even believe that people are going nuts over this - even take their time to create a forum account, to create a 4 rows long rant about the worst/slowest browser ever.
    I am close to speechless - and curious: What amount of time did you invest to get a forum account, select the "new to vivaldi forum" section, type and proofread your comment?
    I bet you could have started vivaldi a few hundred times when you just add up the difference between the startup time of your way faster standard browser (btw what do you use?) and vivaldi with the lifetime you wasted with this.
    ; )

All in all I gently put it this way: Welcome to the forum feel free to post here and we help you if we can but this special post of yours is in my opinion a total waste of time.

(Before somebody points out that my pretty timeconsuming answer might belong in the same category - my excuse is: I am at work right know and still getting paid while wasting time ^^)

• @zaibon -- teehee, i like your post, it's droll & nicely [suitably] acerbic [given the tone of OP].

• Thanks ^^

• @zaibon said in Disappointed Vivaldi New User:

(Before somebody points out that my pretty timeconsuming answer might belong in the same category - my excuse is: I am at work right know and still getting paid while wasting time ^^)

Love that ^^ :)

• @zaibon said in Disappointed Vivaldi New User:

3.5-4 seconds !!..... Call the time police !

:police_car: ...........
    Herreee it izzz! :cop_tone3:
    Yu arr arrested, time thief! Harrr!

I can't even believe that people are going nuts over this

I remember such discussions on old german Opera-Info forum many years ago, people discussing about seconds and even 10th of seconds wasted in Opera 10...12.
    Fore some it is a useless for others a useful discussion.
    I fear many complains from guys not having the fastest browser may waste their gained spare time with other useless actions.

For me it is more a esoteric-philosophical discussion if 2 or 3.5 sec are used to start Vivaldi.
    If i would think about my wasted time in life i would say: Too much WWW.
    SCNR.

• I have a very simple answer.

Boohoo.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.