Download Behavior

• I have "Always Save Files to Default Download Location" unchecked and "Open Download Panel Automatically" checked.

Let's say I'm downloading a few documents from a page. With the first document I choose "Save As" and specify a download location. With the options specified above ("Always Save Files to Default Download Location" not being checked) , I expected subsequent clicking of "Save" would save into the last location used. However, I have to manually select the location every time, or the download will just go to the default location. I find this behavior unintuitive and frustrating. The download should only go to the default location if I have "Always Save Files to Default Download Location" checked. Otherwise it should save to the last used location.

@SomethingNew - Uncheck "always Save Files to Default Download Location" and it will always download to the most recently used folder - or, set your default download location to be the folder you always download to, or both. Unless you want to watch the progress bar creep across, there's probably no need to "Open Download Panel Automatically."

• Thanks for the reply. I do have "Always Save Files to Default Download Location" unchecked. However, when I click "Save" the files always download to the default location. It seems I have to click "Save as" to have the dialog box pop up with the most recent location and then click Save from within that dialog.

It seems that "Save" in the main download popup should really be called "Save to Default Location" or something along those lines.

Here was the process I went through that originally prompted me to post (and why I now think "Save" should be renamed to something like "Save to Default Location") :

• I made sure "Always Save Files to Default Download Location" was unchecked
    • I chose a file, clicked "Save As", navigated to the desired location and saved it.
    • After that I chose another file and clicked "Save".
    • I saw that the second file was not downloaded to my desired folder and instead to the default download location.
    • This then reset the most recent location so when I clicked "Save As" on the third file, I again had to navigate to the desired folder

I know now that I have to click "Save As" every time, but that was not clear as shown by the steps I originally made above.

With all this being said- I think the most ideal options would be as follows (the names could be something different but the main focus here is the actions they do):
    "Save to Default Location" (one click to save to default location)
    "Save to Most Recent Location" (one click to save to most recent location)
    "Save As" (opens the save dialog at your most recent location)

Thanks again for the reply.

@SomethingNew: Hm. You should not have to click "Save As" every time UNLESS the site you are downloading from pro-actively directs its downloads to the download folder.

I have my default specified as my Desktop. I have "Always Download to..." turned off. I have the download panel turned off (no "open automatically") If I download something to the desktop, then everything I download after that goes to the desktop, after opening the dialog to give me a chance to move it or rename it. If I download to a different folder, then everything downloads to THAT folder after that. If I navigate in the browser to a folder to UPLOAD or attach something, it remembers THAT folder, and downloads to it after that.

So you should not have to be clicking "Save As" all the time. It should remember.

• Maybe a bug? What you described is how it works when I click "Save As". It brings up the folder selection at the most recent location allowing me to save there/change location. This is fine and the expected behavior.

When the initial download options appear when clicking a file (Save, Save As, Open, Cancel) If I just click "Save", it will always save to default location even if I have that "Always Save..." unchecked. I would expect this to save to the most recently used location.

I have tried a few different sites and they all download in the manner described above.

Again, thanks for taking the time to reply.

• @SomethingNew
    I believe I could replicate the problem.
    Basically like this;

• Download location was set to (say) C:\Downloads\
    • "Always Save Files to Default Download Location" checked. Others box just a matter of preferences.
    • We download a file with "Save as" and point to (say) C:\MyOtherDownloads\
    • We save other file but this time we use "Save". You expect the download go to C:\MyOtherDownloads\ instead of C:\Downloads.

Like that?
    I don't know if Chromium & Vivaldi could do that. Vivaldi is my first real Chromium based browser.

• @dLeon said in Download Behavior:

@SomethingNew
    I believe I could replicate the problem.
    Basically like this;

• Download location was set to (say) C:\Downloads\
    • "Always Save Files to Default Download Location" checked. Others box just a matter of preferences.
    • We download a file with "Save as" and point to (say) C:\MyOtherDownloads\
    • We save other file but this time we use "Save". You expect the download go to C:\MyOtherDownloads\ instead of C:\Downloads.

Like that?
    I don't know if Chromium & Vivaldi could do that. Vivaldi is my first real Chromium based browser.

Yes like that (except "Always Save Files to Default Download Location" is unchecked)

In Chrome download options I have "Ask where to save each file before downloading." checked. With Chrome, the file selection box will automatically pop up when I click download and be in the most recent file location (it does not do like in vivaldi where a download pop-up comes up with the save,save as,open,cancel options first)

That's why if the browser is going to give me the "Save" or "Save As" options at all, "Save" should be renamed
    to "Save to Default Location" to avoid confusion. With Chrome, when I have "Ask where to save each file before downloading" checked it will go straight to the file selection menu (not bringing up that whole save,save as,open,cancel pop-up that causes confusion here)

Like you say, I suspect Chrome can't quick save to a recent location without you going into the file selection first. If that is the case then I propose the Vivaldi download interface to either

• change to operate like chrome, where if you want the option to download to other locations, the file selection box comes up immediately -- or --

• keep the current implementation but rename "Save" to "Save to Default" in the download pop-up (that has save,save as, open, cancel) to avoid the confusion

The second option is something that could be easily applied right now and make the interface more clear. The first option is better, I think, in the long run as it saves an extra click for each download. Instead of clicking "Save As" - then going into file selection then clicking Save - you would be brought right into file selection and only have to click the Save there.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.