Multiple Problems. Please Read Below.

• I downloaded Vivaldi yesterday, because every browser I used, except IE11 (yuck!), had display issues, or wouldn't work on certain functions, including Chrome, Opera & Firefox.

At first, I was very happy, because Vivaldi opened many tabs quickly, and, unlike Firefox, they didn't have loading circles rotating constantly on some of the tabs. But, tonight, I first discover issues.

(1) VIDEO PLAY PROBLEMS. I went to cnbc.com. Any video I click on will play, but the voices sound like a tape recorder playing at half speed. You cannot even understand them, they are so deep, slow & low in frequency.
    I then went to finance.yahoo.com. This page is the only one so far that takes 20 seconds or more to load. Here, some videos will play, but others won't respond to clicking on them at all. When I open a tab for finance.yahoo.com, a video will appear on the page, and it is playing with no voice. When I click on some other videos, sometimes they play with a voice, other times no voice at all, just silence.

(2) VIVALDI TABS DISAPPEARING. I started typing this topic, & then went to some sites via other tabs I had open, or did open. Then, when I went back to this tab; it had an error message saying something happened, then it wouldn't recognize my sign-in name and password, which Vivaldi has stored! I had to close the tab and open another tab and get to Forums and then I finally could sign in.

(3) SETTINGS: I had settings to accept all cookies and had all these problems anyway. When I saw that Vivaldi, in one day, already had 1500 cookies, most typical junk cookies, I went and changed my settings to not accept cookies. It doesn't seem like it makes any difference anyway. I had pop-ups blocked, and pop-ups would show up anyway. I installed FlashPlayer, and that didn't make any difference. Since it was already installed in Opera, I believe it would be used for Vivaldi anyway.

(4) SECURITY: I have McAfee Security Suite. I regularly run Viral scans, even though it is constantly active. I ran MalwareBytes last night, and it found 130 PUP.Optional.MindSparks, which I understand is a common term used by this program.

HELP: I want very much for this browser to work for me, but if I can't solve these problems, I'll have to say goodbye.

• @musicbrain Can confirm CNBC videos play as you describe.

• Can also confirm the cnbc issue, Win10 x64, Nvidia graphics, vivaldi 1.7

• @g_bartsch So, Vivaldi is displaying the same problems (voice) on playing CNBC.com videos for you. Did you try finance.yahoo.com? See if you go to finance.yahoo.com & as soon as it loads, a video will start playing with NO SOUND. Yet, you can go to another video & you will get sound and it will play fine.

• @musicbrain said in This Browser is a Nightmare! Multiple Problems. Please Read Below.:

(1) VIDEO PLAY PROBLEMS. I went to cnbc.com. Any video I click on will play, but the voices sound like a tape recorder playing at half speed.

CNBC uses a buggy videoplayer which does not recognize Vivaldi as valid browser.
    If you change the useragent with commandline parameter
    vivaldi.exe --user-agent="Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:46.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/46.0"
    it works.

• Contrary to OP & subsequent posters, ALL the [many] vids i tried on Yahoo played with correct images & audio [but but BUT, that site defaults to all videos' sound levels set to zero, so if you don't manually turn them up, you hear nada. Not Vivaldi's fault.

I also played many vids successfully on the CNBC site -- perfectly fine images & audio, no problems.

I did have to initially fiddle a bit with my Ghostery & Disable HTML5 Autoplay extensions' settings, but that's NOT V's fault either.

Re Tabs disappearing... has NOT happened to me since 2015.
    ................................................................................................................
    Tower & Lappy = Maui Linux 2.1 "Blue Tang" x64 Plasma 5.8.4.
    Latest x64 Deb SS

########################################
    EDIT -- Sigh, sorry, only noticed after posting that this is the Windows stream. Silly me [mistakenly thought it was the All Versions stream].

1. The cnbc bug is known already (typing cnbc in the forum search would have shown you instant result)

2. Tabs disappearing didn't happen to me since a year ago or even longer and I see no complains regarding this issue in the forum that are anything close to "new". So the question is: can you find a way to reproduce this? Otherwise I guess this will be hard to fix.
      (Is there a chance that some extension double crossed you? - Btw what extensions do you use anyway?)

3. Can't say anything regarding cookies - I don't bother much with them

4. So malwarebytes found some items that mcaffee didn't (no surprise by the way) but are they related to vivaldi or extensions or to something you downloaded or installed or a completely different program?

• @musicbrain said in This Browser is a Nightmare! Multiple Problems. Please Read Below.:

(3) SETTINGS: I had settings to accept all cookies and had all these problems anyway. When I saw that Vivaldi, in one day, already had 1500 cookies, most typical junk cookies, I went and changed my settings to not accept cookies. It doesn't seem like it makes any difference anyway. I had pop-ups blocked, and pop-ups would show up anyway. ...

Many sites will not fully work with all cookies disallowed, some sites won't work at all. Normally, I browse in Vivaldi with "Session Only" cookies enabled, but with 3rd-party cookies blocked - both via Privacy Settings.

Session cookies enable a website to not have to re-authenticate you as a visitor at each sub-page within the website; they also remember certain things you've done on that site, such as your shopping cart status as you move from page to page on the site or page viewing preferences you've selected.

Third-party cookies are those set by websites other than the ones you intentionally visit, such as those related to the all-too-common "like" buttons for other sites (Facebook, etc) listed on the site you're viewing, or by ads hosted on the site you're viewing. These allow those 3rd-party sites to track your browsing habits from website to website if those viewed sites happen to host the same 3rd-party cookies.

Pop-up blocking can be an uneven experience no matter what blocking tool you use. There are a variety of ways to construct site code and employ various scriptings to create a pop-up-appearing display that can end-run past a given blocking technique. Best results are often obtained by using an extension (Ublock Origin, etc), though the browser's built-in blocking is fine for many folks.

• @zaibon If the CNBC bug is known about, why hasn't such a basic thing been fixed.

Extensions? I only have Acrobat & McAfee Web Advisor, and neither are checked enabled, so there would be no issue there.

The Malwarebytes items found were prior to installing Vivaldi, I believe, and now that they are quarantined, and I ran another Malwarebytes scan last night, it found nothing.

I'll check the CNBC topics, but obviously nothing has been done.

@musicbrain said in This Browser is a Nightmare! Multiple Problems. Please Read Below.:

why hasn't such a basic thing been fixed.

The developers are still trying. It's not "such a basic thing."

• @Blackbird I have my cookiies settings the same as yours. Do I understand you correctly? If you have session cookies enabled, then only the cookie of the site will be allowed? Which does not include all kinds of cookies, or does each site throw a bunch of cookies into the browser?

As you pointed out, Pop-up blocking "can be an uneven experience no matter what blocking tool you use." Why then haven't Vivaldi developers made their Pop-Up blocking work with no holes in it? You state that its built-in blocking is fine for many. It obviously isn't find for me. How do I get and add the extension Ublock Origin? I'm very ignorant and confused when it involves extensions, and some I believe can only be downloaded via a smart phone, which I don't have (I know, I'm way behind the masses, but I have no need to pay monthly charges for a cell phone, as I hardly ever use even the emergency one I have. I assume UBlock Origin is safe, but where do I get it & how do I add it?

• @musicbrain Exactly as you describe.

• @Blackbird I found out how to find it, which, strangely, is via the Chrome App Store, but it did apply to Vivaldi and is by default enabled. But I'd appreciate you answering my other questions. Thanks.

• @Steffie said in This Browser is a Nightmare! Multiple Problems. Please Read Below.:

Contrary to OP & subsequent posters, ALL the [many] vids i tried on Yahoo played with correct images & audio [but but BUT, that site defaults to all videos' sound levels set to zero, so if you don't manually turn them up, you hear nada. Not Vivaldi's fault.

True about sounds defaulting to off.

See if you go to finance.yahoo.com & as soon as it loads, a video will start playing with NO SOUND.

See Steffie above.

• @Ayespy Well, as a Moderator you must know alot. I don't understand why it is "not such a basic thing." I mean, playing videos on common websites seems to be a very basic thing all browsers should have the capability of doing. Since Vivaldi was developed by the developer of Opera, why would he not have the knowledge of how to do so, carrying over his development from Opera, which doesn't have that problem?

• @Gwen-Dragon said in This Browser is a Nightmare! Multiple Problems. Please Read Below.:

vivaldi.exe --user-agent="Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:46.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/46.0"

I tried what you gave me in a command prompt and it tells me vivaldi.exe is not recognized as an internal or external command.

By the way, I copied your command, but when I tried to paste it in the command line, it only put "^U". Can't you copy to a command line, I was sure you could. But, in any case it doesn't work. I have Windows 7.

@musicbrain: There are at least eight different "common" ways media plays in browsers.

https://html5test.com/

Often, due to browser sniffing, the site will have multiple versions of the same media, and the browser doesn't even get to pick which KIND of media file it receives to play. The site feeds it the one it wants to. To make matters worse, the site may also pick how to trigger the "appropriate" codec. Not every codec is present in every browser - nor CAN it be, because because many of them charge steep licensing fees to allow a browser to package them in the software. To get around these codec problems, Vivaldi may utilize, not a plugin or codec that downloads with the browser, but one which is either on the system already, or can be downloaded and installed free from a website by the user (mostly for Linux distros) or can be automatically downloaded (or "updated") into the browser at some point in time (often some 45 seconds to five minutes) after the browser is installed.

According to online tests, Vivaldi plays almost every kind of media there is, and plays it correctly. So figuring out what this or that site is doing, what file/stream it's feeding, and how/why Vivaldi is not able to properly decode it, can be a problem. As seen above, CNBC and IHeart Radio (and for people outside the US, Amazon video services) fail the "same" way, but can't be fixed by the same solution, because they are actually 3 different failure modes, caused by 3 different things the sites are doing. There are SOME online videos that appear "blurry" unless Vivaldi is run in Windows 8 Compatibility mode. The website detects it's Vivaldi on a Win8 system, feeds it a different video, and it plays clear. Vivaldi doesn't actually do anything differently.

This is just a bare bones primer, in non-technical language. It's more complicated than I have explained.

• @Blackbird UPDATE: After installing UBlock Origin, CNBC then brought up blank video screens with the words "You have 3rd party cookies blocked so you can't play this video. Change your settings to accept 3rd party cookies."

How messed up. CNBC has it all figured out. So, I unchecked Ublock, but left it in my extensions, and now I'm back to the same messed-up voice problem. Well, with due respect, that also kind of disproves your statement that "the browser's built-in blocking is fine for many folks." So, now what? I don't want all this 3rd party cr*p, and it's forced upon me.

CNBC are clever devils. Up until 1-2 wks ago, you could post comments to their slanted articles. Suddenly, that feature was taken away, and there are no longer any responses from the past, or anything to click on to add a response, and you see no posts.

I also notice that you and others have a pencil icon, and edited your posts. I have no such choice; thus, I have to reply 3 times to your post, which is tedious for you and for me and clutters the post. And, for some reason, my replies are not just under your post on the expandable "Replies", but are also repeated again as posts, but further down the lower below where your post w/the Replies is posted. Is this by design the way it works?

Any further help is greatly appreciated.

• @itsuia Then why are you giving me two negative-ratings? Please remove them, or I'll return the favor.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.