Memory Cache Lag

• Hi, I have been using Vivaldi for 2 weeks now having moved over from Mozilla Firefox, theres already been a couple of minor suggestions i have made on this forum.

However I find that there is a real problem with this browsers cache where it starts to impact on performance, its quite a major bug i think. This issue is more noticeable on Facebook & other resource hungry websites like Soundcloud where there is a streaming live feed once I have been browsing & scrolling down the feed for about 15 minutes. When I type words in the comments section there is a delay of a couple of seconds before I see the letters i typed, also when I right click the mouse button to get the menu function it too is very slow to appear.

This cache of memory was an issue i also found in Mozilla Firefox, hence changing to this browser, you can see in Windows Task Manager / Processors the numbers continuously climb into the millions the longer Vivaldi is in use.

The only way round it is to keep cleaning the browsing history & cookies (I use CCleaner), which is a pain because it means having to keep re-inputting my settings for search engines, google adverts, search history, website cookies & re-log into websites. I prefer to leave passwords & cookies unticked when cleaning the browsing history for this reason but if I do the problem still persists on restart.

I would like to add there is no malware or virus on my system, this problem is apparent in both the 32bit & 64bit versions of 1.6.689.40.

• Hi Natty,

• What extensions do you use?

• What are your system specs?

• What version of Vivaldi do you use (you can find it in vivaldi://about/)

• The number of processes that are running are normal for a chrome based browser as for stability and security reasons every tab, web panel, extension runs it own process (if one dies it doesn't kill the whole thing)

• When you press "Shift+Esc" there should popup vivaldis own taskmanager so you can have a look on the processes that slow down your pc

• When you close Vivaldi are there still some zombie-processes of viv running? If yes you might want to go to vivaldi://settings/search#System and there disable Continue running background apps when Vivaldi is closed

• How do you clean your History? via Historypage-->Clear Browsing Data or did you try "Crtl+Shift+Del" also?

An advise if you don't want to rely on ccleaner and applying settings all the time is too cumbersome. There is a pseudo workaround for this (yes I know no real help but it makes waiting for a solution a bit easier).

After the next time you reset your Viv via ccleaner set your settings, searchengines, log in to your accounts, etc (no real surfing so it won't slow your system) next go to --> vivaldi://about/ -->copy the file path that is written right to Profile Path --> close Viv and go to this path in your file explorer. The last folder in this path "Default" stores most of your profile so make a copy of it.
    Next time you need to reset just copy your backup default folder back to its right place and delete your "old" Default" folder - this should minimise the trouble.

• While i dont think this has fixed the issue but i ran Malwarebytes & it detected a couple of suspected malicious files

Registry Keys: 1
    PUP.Optional.Distromatic, HKU\S-1-5-21-3650053929-1627370695-694698715-1000\SOFTWARE\Distromatic, Quarantined, [b332851ba70105314e4edeec14ec57a9],

Registry Values: 0
    (No malicious items detected)

Registry Data: 0

Folders: 0

Files: 3
    PUP.Optional.Visicom, C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\drivers\mcaudrv_x64.sys, Delete-on-Reboot, [88b3badfb02be4471655eaf88ddc7ebd],
    PUP.Optional.Visicom, C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\drivers\mcvidrv.sys, Delete-on-Reboot, [c06234dcdb1bfc0cf7e25cfac5b7f5fe],
    PUP.Optional.ChromePass, C:\Users\Lee\Desktop\ChromePass.exe, Quarantined, [db0abee266422214420f716353ada35d],

Physical Sectors: 0

mcvidrv.sys is remnants of a video capture program i previously installed called https://manycam.com/ im not sure if it is a malicious programme as looks legit to me

ChromePass.exe is another program i trialled to find a way of saving my passwords from Vivaldi which only has an in-built function of saving bookmarks. I have not yet found a suitable program to do this as I couldn't figure out how to import the saved passwords in an HTML file back into Vivaldi. It may have been another false detection by Malwarebytes, i downloaded Chromepass from here http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/chromepass.html >

@zaibon said in Memory Cache Lag:

Hi Natty,

• What extensions do you use?
      UblockOrigin, IPinator VPN, Video Downloader professional

• What are your system specs?
      Windows 7 64bit, Intel Core2Duo E8400 3GHz, Nvidia Geforce GTX1050 TI, 8GB memory, Samsung 840 Pro SSD 128gb, Gigabyte EP35-DS3R motherboard

• What version of Vivaldi do you use (you can find it in vivaldi://about/)
      Its just been updated to 1.7.735.46 (64bit)

• The number of processes that are running are normal for a chrome based browser as for stability and security reasons every tab, web panel, extension runs it own process (if one dies it doesn't kill the whole thing)

• When you press "Shift+Esc" there should popup vivaldis own taskmanager so you can have a look on the processes that slow down your pc

• When you close Vivaldi are there still some zombie-processes of viv running? If yes you might want to go to vivaldi://settings/search#System and there disable Continue running background apps when Vivaldi is closed

• How do you clean your History? via Historypage-->Clear Browsing Data or did you try "Crtl+Shift+Del" also?
      Usually via Tools > History (vivaldi://history) or via CCleaner to wipe everything accept passwords

**So since the removal of those files by Malwarebytes, so far the issue of lag with Facebook typing has not yet come back, however there is still an issue with buffering & lag when playing video, in-particular with BBC Iplayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer @2908 kbps (right click on screen), my broadband download speed is 50mbps

Since I updated to 1.7.735.46 from when i first posted maybe its a problem related to that? this issue of lag / buffering / dropped frames is not present in Mozilla Firefox. I have uninstalled all extensions & the adobe flash plug in & the problem still persists.**

• I also notice in the taskbar when i click to open Vivaldi multiple processes pop up in its name, with Mozilla Firefox its just the one

alt text

@Natty: That's normal. All Chromium-based browsers do that, and Vivaldi has one more layer than the rest, so it opens one more process than other Chromium-based browsers.

• Good to hear that at least one of your problems seems to have vanished.
    Especially because your sys specs don't look like your pc will come close to it's max capacity while browsing.
    So my next guess would've been that you turn off your IPinator extension and see if it still presists.

However I can't test the bbc player right now 'cause it is restricted to UK only and at work I don't have access to my vpn software - so somebody else needs to have a look into this.
    But it sounds a bit like your problem may be related to the one in this post so you could try the cnbc player and see if this happens to you also.

• @Ayespy So whats the issue with the video dropping frames / buffering on BBC Iplayer & Youtube?

I am using an old 2008 monitor (due an upgrade) Samsung 226bw, its not quite 1080p altho does play it (struggles on 60p video) but can play 720p just fine, the new graphics card (Geforce GTX1050 TI) should be able to handle it anyway, yet i notice with Vivaldi 1.7.735.46 the drop frame count constantly goes up, i dont recall this happening with 1.6

@Natty: I haven't a clue. Video is seamless here. I know some have video issues, but I've no idea why. Have you tried with hardware acceleration turned off? (or on, if it's off already).

• I cant find hardware acceleration in the settings, i turned off smooth scrolling but that made no difference

Update: a google search took me there, it should be in the settings page rather than hidden, i disabled continue running background apps too vivaldi://chrome/settings/search#hardware

I think that may have stopped the buffering in Iplayer altho its still dropping frames on youtube at 720p

Is there a feature to turn off auto updates? should i prefer an earlier version which is less buggy it wont force me to update, version 1.6 seemed to run better on Youtube

• go to vivaldi://settings/search#hard

EDIT: sorry my bad chrome://settings/search#hard

• @zaibon said in Memory Cache Lag:

go to vivaldi://settings/search#hard

EDIT: sorry my bad chrome://settings/search#hard

These settings should not be hidden but placed in the menu under Webpages

Whats the best way to preserve passwords, bookmarks & settings in case of fresh install? With Firefox i used Mozbackup which saved them as a pcv file, Mozbackup is not an extension so it had no effect on the browsers resources, it worked brilliantly, is there an equivalent for Vivaldi thats not an extension?

• Vivaldi Translator

@Natty
    From Vivaldi Knowledge Base,
    https://help.vivaldi.com/article/full-reset-of-vivaldi/
    you get some clue what files to backup. Also work for any Chrom*.

• @Natty said in Memory Cache Lag:

Is there a feature to turn off auto updates? ...

Vivaldi doesn't forcibly auto-update (at least thus far); it merely notifies you that an update is available. If you agree to an update, it then (and only then) automatically does the job.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.