src="https://update.vivaldi.com/stats/piwik.php?idsite=1&rec=1&bots=1" style="border:0;" alt=""

Feature Request - Settings Button to Close Settings Tab if Settings Tab Opened

• Clicking Settings Button on the side panel once opens settings panel (when set to open in a tab instead of a separate window).
    Clicking the settings button again does nothing.
    Please make it close the open settings tab if clicked again.

• @sample I don't think this would be helpful.

Currently, if the settings dialogue or settings tab is already open, the shortcut Alt P or the button will focus it. If you close the settings dialogue or tab, you lose your position, size, and focused category within settings.

Just leave it open and continue with whatever you were doing, until you need it again, then click the button or use the Alt P shortcut.

• sample said in Feature Request - Settings Button to Close Settings Tab if Settings Tab Opened:

Clicking the settings button again does nothing.
    Please make it close the open settings tab if clicked again.

I foresee a problem if this request were implemented - along these lines:

jtsn said in What is stopping you from using V all the time?:

UI Speed: Opera's UI is very response, while Vivaldi feels like a very early Mozilla 0.6 Build on my Pentium 133 (they just invented XUL back then). There is a noticeable delay when entering a letter into the address bar, before it actually appears on the screen. Vivaldi's Preferences dialog takes full 3-5 seconds with full CPU load to appear. Opera's shows instantly.

Certainly when I go to the Tools menu and pick Settings... I wait for a delay and nothing happens. Thinking I may have mis-clicked, I then go to the Tools menu and pick Settings... again, and just as I'm doing it a third time the dialogue box actually appears. The settings dialogue box must be imposing an extraordinary burden for it to be so unresponsive.

If the Tools/Settings... menu item or the Panel/Settings button were to toggle the visibility of this highly expensive operation, a user will click it, find nothing happens for several seconds, so click it again a few times, queuing up more and more computational debt that Vivaldi has to clear before it can do what the user wants.

Maybe after the infrastructure is optimised sufficiently that the Settings dialogue box appears in a reasonable time, this feature request could be convenient, but until then I think it will cause more problems and confusion. I imagine users thinking, "I've clicked this dumb button four times now and still nothing has happened!" unaware that after spending ten seconds rendering the form twice it has been instantly dismissed each time.

As Pesala suggests, I just open the Settings... dialogue box once and then windowshade it for the rest of the browsing session. It is far faster (ie instant) for my window manager to rollout from the shade than it is for Vivaldi to reconstruct it from scratch each time I want to check or change something.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.